• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY flower shredder

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No money? No toys available?
Maybe you have these things and can make this 5 minute 5-min-flower-shredder..
I live where bird toys are sparse so I'm always looking for DIY toys and activity ideas so I want to share this for anyone in a country with no toys available or maybe you are broke the day before payday and you want to give the birds something new to play with for a short while.

This is probably the most simply DIY toy that I have ever made and you don't need much to do it.

It take 5 minutes to make and approx 5 minutes to destroy (slight exaggeration- probably 15, but it depends on each bird)

To make a basic flower;
-a piece of cardboard cut into two squares
-2 tie straps
-approx. 20 paper cupcake liners
Tools: scissors and a poker (eg. a pen)
IMG_20190831_110423.jpg

*if you can't get tie straps then a natural untreated twine (hemp or sisal) will work the same, knotting the ends

Method,
-Poke a hole in the smaller cardboard square and thread onto the zip tie.
-get two cupcake liners, flatten them and then cut lines in the outside to make it look like a flower.
IMG_20190831_110617.jpg
-thread it onto the tie strap, repeat until you have reached a nice size.
IMG_20190831_111154.jpg (I don't make them to big for higiene reasons)
-poke a hole in the centre of the other cardboard piece.
-put the flower inside or outside the cage, thread the cardboard on the opposite side, then put the other zip tie on and tighten it until the flower doesn't move around. Cut the excess plastic off.
IMG_20190831_114230.jpg

Simple as that :)

Additional
-you could dye the cardboard or colour it using non toxic colouring or food dye
-You can use beads instead of cardboard which is what I usually do but I have ran out of larger zip ties and so I'm using our business ones :lol: You could also use small wooden beads.
-you can add in a piece of seagrass between the cupcake layers
-you could poke treats inside
-you can swap paper cupcake liners for paper cups (non waxy)
-if there's no cupcake liners or paper cups in your country you can use coloured paper and cut flower shapes out or use dried bird safe leaves.

-you can make a few and store them by threading the back parts onto the flower and closing the zip tie but only a little so that you are able to cut it off to use it and release the cardboard and zip tie closing part.
IMG_20190831_105606.jpg IMG_20190831_105549.jpg IMG_20190831_105557.jpg

Tip: if you are suffering from arthritis or other problems affecting the movement of you hands, (or are just feeling lazy) get the kids/grandkids/nephew/neighbours kid involved (as long as they wash their hands first)

I hope this helps someone out :)

IMG_20190831_111819.jpg IMG_20190831_111406.jpg

edit, Sorry for alternating between zip tie and tie strap - Tomayto tomahto ;)

Last edited:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was at the shop the other day and considered buying cupcake liners but couldn't find anything about how those were treated/coated to handle liquid dough and baking. Aren't they like baking paper? I was concerned it wouldn't be safe for birds, at least if they ingest it. How do you know they are OK?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was at the shop the other day and considered buying cupcake liners but couldn't find anything about how those were treated/coated to handle liquid dough and baking. Aren't they like baking paper? I was concerned it wouldn't be safe for birds, at least if they ingest it. How do you know they are OK?

Most cupcake papers are literally just paper.. no wax etc. There are ones called "greaseproof" that do have a waxy coating that I avoid.

Wilton's standard baking cups are my preference as they don't have a smell (some off brands smell like petrol and even after airing out they don't seem to lose that so I toss them) and I know they aren't waxy

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Very cute!!!

how about No money cuz of too many toys! Lol

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Great toy! Thanks for the idea! My bird hasn't touched it... but I enjoyed making it! Lol

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fantastic! I have to work a bit more this week and I've been looking for something to keep them busy! I have a ridiculous amount of cupcake liners too (as a hobby baker who compulsively buys them yet never makes cupcakes!) so this is perfect! I'll make one now and post the result.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My bird hasn't touched it...
:lol: at least it wasn't an expensive toy ;)

The blue team demolished theirs in a timey manner... Adélie decided her flower made a nice comfy perch... And Sydney told me that flowers are friends no foes and snuggled up to his for a nap.... :rolleyes:

IMG_20190831_154737.jpg
IMG_20190831_154803.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:lol: at least it wasn't an expensive toy ;)

The blue team demolished theirs in a timey manner... Adélie decided her flower made a nice comfy perch... And Sydney told me that flowers are friends no foes and snuggled up to his for a nap.... :rolleyes:

View attachment 314356
View attachment 314357

They're all looking so very happy!

This was a really cute cheap way to make a toy! TY for sharing it! :cool:

Few hints about cupcake liners...

No metal or sparkly ones in appearance. I bought mine for like $3 on Walmarts online site. Went to the grocery store & they were $7.
***Exact same Wiltons package!***​

Places like Dollar stores, Xmas tree store, & kitchen stores (clearance areas). You never know where you're gonna find them cheap. Keep your eyes open & like someone mentioned (@Mizzely ?) Smell them. If you smell chemicals they're junk, don't buy.

:hug8:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
**timely :lol:

Few hints about cupcake liners...

No metal or sparkly ones in appearance. I bought mine for like $3 on Walmarts online site. Went to the grocery store & they were $7.

***Exact same Wiltons package!***​
Places like Dollar stores, Xmas tree store, & kitchen stores (clearance areas). You never know where you're gonna find them cheap. Keep your eyes open & like someone mentioned (@Mizzely ?) Smell them. If you smell chemicals they're junk, don't buy.

:hug8:

Great tips :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great picture! Mabel´s such a cutie ❤

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Super cute!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Oh, I forgot to mention that cupcake liners cost about 0.50 cents a piece here in the states. A 20 cupcake liner toy would cost about $10! Cost on Amazon is $7 for a dozen. Much too much for my budget.