• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling with a bird who's not comfortable being held

baigfaez

Meeting neighbors
Hello all,

I need to take my new bird to the vet for a checkup and I have a big obstacle to overcome: how I'm gonna get him there lol.

I don't have a small travel cage for him right now, so I plan on taking him in a spacious box. I'm still working on getting him to step on my hand so I can't just put him into a box to take him in that easily. I don't want to grab him with a towel and make him hate me and lose the trust I've built up to this point, but it may need to come to that.

I've considered just putting his cage into my car and taking him that way, but I was curious if there are any methods you guys know.

Thank you

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm, I understand what you mean. I've had birds that are willing to hop into a box and others that have needed a towel to be coaxed. I really don't know what to say but I wanted to mention that a spacious box might be a mistake. He could slip and slide all around. Maybe try to find a box just a bit bigger than him, something he can turn around in but not much else, put a towel down and maybe a favorite toy and some food. I have been desperate and almost took a whole cage to the vet before but I think it's pretty dangerous to have all that room for the bird during the trip and definitely hard to secure in the car. Good luck. I hope it's easier than you think it will be.

baigfaez

Meeting neighbors
Hmm, I understand what you mean. I've had birds that are willing to hop into a box and others that have needed a towel to be coaxed. I really don't know what to say but I wanted to mention that a spacious box might be a mistake. He could slip and slide all around. Maybe try to find a box just a bit bigger than him, something he can turn around in but not much else, put a towel down and maybe a favorite toy and some food. I have been desperate and almost took a whole cage to the vet before but I think it's pretty dangerous to have all that room for the bird during the trip and definitely hard to secure in the car. Good luck. I hope it's easier than you think it will be.
Do you think that using a towel might make him fear hands? Should I cover him first and then pick him up?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think that using a towel might make him fear hands? Should I cover him first and then pick him up?
I'm just not sure. Maybe some very sweet talk and scoop him up quickly, with or without a towel depending on what you think? I've heard people say that their birds hold a grudge and can really stay mad about something, but that hasn't been my experience. If I am confident and kind, they always seem to bounce back to normal.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
How big is the bird's regular cage? If it's not too big and can fit easily in the car, I'd probably go that route. Just make sure there are no swinging toys that could hit him and also make sure the doors are very securely closed.

Maybe put a sheet over the cage if he's terrified, or atleast cover 3 sides and let him see you from one side while you talk sweetly to him during the drive. This is just what I would do in your situation. Maybe it's not the right thing to do, it's just my opinion.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
If you have any dowel rods or something like that you could see if he might step up on one before the day of, you could even offer a treat to coax him to do it. That way you can move about with him without forcing him onto your hands or using a towel. Also, I would say check craigslist or FB marketplace to see if anyone around you has a small cage, dog crate, or carrier for sale and just clean it well if you find one within your budget. That would make it easier with the dowel rod method also.