• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

m or f second linnie?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
My current linnie is approx. 1.5 yrs, definitely male, and is a very quiet bird now that he's settled in. I want to stress that. The only time he's loud is when I vacuum. He's super low key, very quiet. I Love it! But since he's still diligently trying to befriend my p'let, who hates him, I've thought maybe he'd like a friend. An opportunity has arisen to get a handfed baby once they're weaned.

First, what are the odds having a buddy will make him louder? That may sound strange, but I'm serious.
Second, as far as hoping they click and get along, will getting a male vs a female have worse/better odds? I know Leih has two boys who get along, is this standard?
Third, is the 1.5 yr age difference likely to present a challenge with them hopefully becoming friends?
Fourth (and least important), what on earth is the average going rate for handfed green babies in the midwest? I just never see them so have nothing to gauge the price against.

Thanks,
-NG

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My boys have been together since they hatched, they're only a few days apart, so that is one consideration. As for their volume, linnies are so quiet compared to other birds, I can't imagine that being an issue, but someone who has also had two can hopefully chime in. @Lady Jane?

As for price, mine are hand fed and I hate to say I got them "on sale," but I did. Caspar, cobalt, was listed as $325 and Emrys, turquoise, I think about $275. They were about six months when I got them for $250 for the pair. I'm in Cleveland, OH, for reference. Were you thinking green like @Dona 's Gigi?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
My current linnie is approx. 1.5 yrs, definitely male, and is a very quiet bird now that he's settled in. I want to stress that. The only time he's loud is when I vacuum. He's super low key, very quiet. I Love it! But since he's still diligently trying to befriend my p'let, who hates him, I've thought maybe he'd like a friend. An opportunity has arisen to get a handfed baby once they're weaned.

First, what are the odds having a buddy will make him louder? That may sound strange, but I'm serious.
Second, as far as hoping they click and get along, will getting a male vs a female have worse/better odds? I know Leih has two boys who get along, is this standard?
Third, is the 1.5 yr age difference likely to present a challenge with them hopefully becoming friends?
Fourth (and least important), what on earth is the average going rate for handfed green babies in the midwest? I just never see them so have nothing to gauge the price against.

Thanks,
-NG
A buddy will likely make him slightly louder, but not much.
I would get a male. They'll get along and then you don't have to worry about breeding.
No, the age difference won't matter.
Linnies typically go from $150-$400 depending on color.

NorthernGannet

Thanks Leih and Matto! Yes, regular green like Gigi. They want $250, non negotiable, and that does not even include dna testing. It seems a bit high for a green. I did go and visit them today though. About 3 weeks old right now, super buzzy :) and very well cared for. I got pooped on by one of them, but still I did not commit.:unsure1:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
$250 is slightly above average, but not insane.

NorthernGannet

Ok, thanks! I think it's ok to ask this, do you know of any breeders even remotely close to the eastern side of MO?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds can be safely shipped.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey NG I'm just seeing this thread. I have more questions than answers, lol, because I am struggling with the same situation. I too wonder if Gigi might like a friend.

I am afraid that they will be loud (she is very quiet too, we now live in a condo and it's great to have it somewhat quiet after many years of very noisy birds).
I don't know whether it would be better to get a male- with potential mating and having to replace fertile eggs; or a female- with potential hostility to another girl because she would share the possible nest? With your boy, it might be an easier situation just getting another male.
I still have Gigi's first cage and it's perfect for a young bird but I would eventually want them to live together. That would be the point. I would really be buying a bird for Gigi! So how likely is it that they would do well together? No way to be sure. Her breeder said "Don't buy your bird a bird, only buy a bird if you want one." Honestly I don't think I want another bird.
Again, with the age difference, at 18 months (same as your boy) I think Gigi is pretty set in her ways. She's a feisty girl with a lot of opinions. She is territorial about her cage and play gym, as well as a section of the sofa that has a little hidey spot. :) I have trouble imagining she would be a good sharer. Everyone talks about how sweet Linnies are. Hmm, Gigi is more little Amazon than sweet Linnie. I can't see pinning pupils in those big dark eyes, but I bet it's happening. She tick-tick-ticks at me when she is displeased with my behavior.
But I will say that Gigi is a delight to live with. She is hands down my favorite bird and I've shared my life with many. It might be that I have more time now that I'm retired and our kids are grown. She gets a lot of attention every day and she is thriving. I am also really spoiled now as she barely has anything to clean outside of her cage, her massive morning poop is the same place each AM and I double the paper. She does what she wants most of the time and that includes flying to me often and spending time on my shoulder and lap. She loves her schedule and calls for me to adhere to it. She seems like a really happy girl, but when she is occasionally difficult I wonder if a bird partner in crime would help.
I think the going rate for a normal green is $200 in this area. I am partial to greens as I just love the more subtle parrot colors and the fact that she looks just like her cousins in the wild. But after a bath she is almost neon. So, so pretty. She also has very little black, very few polka dots, she's mostly solid green.

So, like I wrote, more questions than answers. :) Good luck and let us know what you decide. I wish you were nearby- we could just have Linnie playdates!

Last edited:

NorthernGannet

Hi Dona - Your comments about Gigi are almost what I would write about my female p'let! Well, except for the massives poops :) She is territorial and sassy, yet loves to interact with me and is highly trainable. She would probably not do well with a birdy mate. Sprite on the other hand seems to be the complete opposite of Gigi. He has few opinions, takes things as they come, and doesn't talk back much at all. So far he doesn't play with toys and doesn't seem to "do" anything, and he's not investigative. He's very hand tame yet somehow I don't feel people hold much interest in his view. I've never had such a bird before! Obviously, I've not yet discovered what makes him really tick. I do think he'd appreciate a buddy, but only if the buddy is relatively laid back as well. If a Gigi came into his world, I'm not sure how it'd go down! And yes, this would be me buying a bird for my bird. Like you, I don't really want another for myself. These two are plenty (and it was only supposed to be one!!).

Linnie play dates would be awesome! I have opted not to spend $250. That said, completely unexpectedly earlier today I was put in touch with a breeder about 2 hours away who has some greens ready to go now. These birds are parent-raised but supposedly hand tame, which sounds good to me. $150 plus the drive, in the end I'm not sure how much different that really is from the first option, other than being a bigger adventure :) lol. I will sleep on it.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bet Gigi is like your parrotlet! I do bring out the feistiness in birds. I encouraged my kids to question authority and apparently my birds as well. lol

It does sound like a Linnie friend might be a good fit for Sprite. Will you try to get another boy? That would make things simpler I think. Good luck with your decision and possible day trip. :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My Caspar is definitely sassier than Emrys. Emrys is really shy. For awhile I considered separating them for awhile to encourage Emrys to be more outgoing, but I think he's doing just fine as is. I think female birds in general tend to be more Territorial. How long have you had Sprite?

NorthernGannet

I think I'd try to get another boy, but first and foremost would be personality, trying to choose one who I hope would be compatable. If it happened to be a female, I'd probably go with it. I have only had him for 3 months now, feels like longer! I discovered he really likes hemp seeds, so I use those as random "hello" gifts :) He's on board with that!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I thought it was something like 3 months. My birds all love hemp seeds! Even my lovebird, who's a fussy pants.

What people generally say when considering another bird is to be prepared and assume at first that they will have to be housed separately. They'd have to be separate for awhile anyway, but are you okay with three cages? I got my lovebird and then I somehow ended up with four birds in three cages. It's fine, but took some adjustment for me.

NorthernGannet

Yep, assuming there aren't adoration sparks flying the moment you walk in the room, separate cages at first is the way to go. I still have Sprite's old cage, it'd be okay for this purpose. So just now I had to get Sprite off the p'let's cage, and I thought well, I'll just take him down with me to get my sheets out of the dryer. On the way back up I stopped for something and although I thought I had him held out far enough, boom, he pooped on the brand clean sheet. Just my luck! lol

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, assuming there aren't adoration sparks flying the moment you walk in the room, separate cages at first is the way to go. I still have Sprite's old cage, it'd be okay for this purpose. So just now I had to get Sprite off the p'let's cage, and I thought well, I'll just take him down with me to get my sheets out of the dryer. On the way back up I stopped for something and although I thought I had him held out far enough, boom, he pooped on the brand clean sheet. Just my luck! lol
OMG Sprite! I often call anyone nearby to see Gigi's first poop of the day. Seriously it's bigger than her head.