• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking About Getting Macaw

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
If I am reading your icons right, you have a golden conure?
I noticed the golden conure icon too.. we need pictures!
I was fiddling around with my icons since they don’t work some of the time. I don’t really have any conures. (Even though my name is Conure101 lol. I hear they are very loud. Sorry for any trouble I or confusion I may have caused. P.S. I removed the conure icons weather they work or not. Again sorry

Last edited:

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I have done in my free time extensive amounts of research on them and know they can be loud, destructive, messy, and very expensive the cage alone can cost $500. So like I Said probably best to just think about it LOL.
If you can find a new cage for $500 it's probably too small for a macaw!

Conure101

I like your siggy of Blu. Such a beautiful bird! Is he a Verde Macaw?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's great that you're doing your research and thinking about what kind of bird you would like. And you can use whatever icons you like. :) Maybe just put birds I like or something like that next to them so people don't get confused. Conures are great birds and they might be something for you to think about more. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I was fiddling around with my icons since they don’t work some of the time. I don’t really have any conures. (Even though my name is Conure101 lol. I hear they are very loud. Sorry for any trouble I or confusion I may have caused. P.S. I removed the conure icons weather they work or not. Again sorry
Signatures only show on your first post on a page.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I like your siggy of Blu. Such a beautiful bird! Is he a Verde Macaw?
Yes he's a 2 year old Verde. Male parent was a Buffon's and female was a Scarlet. He has a sister in Dallas, TX that hatched a day before him. The attached picture is the two of them the day I bought him at the Tulsa Bird Fair in September 2017. Blu is on the right.
1944.jpeg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Conures are great! And yes they can be loud, ALL birds can be loud. A lot just depends on their individual personalities, like people :cool: I have four small birds, a lovebird, a black capped conure, and two linnies, and though small, their costs add up. Mainly in stuff for them to chew.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
$500/650 if you get one maybe second hand. My corner cage was ~$700, I think, new.

If you think Conures are loud they’ve got nothing on a Macaw who wants to be heard, ha. Different pitch, but my Macaw could be much louder than my Conure if he chose to be.

If you’re interested in a Macaw, if I were you, I’d do what I could to meet them. You never know!

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Save up well over the cost the bird (that's the cheap part) research, and then go with the specie you are passionate about.

I adopted my first GW macaw at 19, sadly, having not interacted with any previoisly as I grew up in a farm town before moving out for college.
I had a passion for outdoor freeflight/animal training though so the quest began.
They're expensive and can certainly leave a mark if they're upset /scared but they are nothing compared to my horses or even German shepherds in regards to expense and potential for legitimate injury, fatality, or insurance etc etc if that is any reassurance.
I had no regrets and about a year later, I ended up adopting a second one, B&G.

Every bird is an individual in terms of noise and propensity for biting/bite inhibition.
Some are quite quiet. I have lived in 6 apartments as I moved across the country with my macs, never a single noise complaint. My GW is much quieter than the B&G though.
In regards to the biting, aside from beakiness, steady themselves, or play wrestling in the past, I have yet to be actually bitten. My GW again is more placid and gentle while the B&G is way more energetic and mouthy.
I may of course get bitten but that's not really the point...if you respect the body language and work on your training/2 way communication, you will get ever developing trust and bond, even through the rough hormones.
Consequently, the odds of a bite, especially a notable one, go down exponentially to where I think it is well worth the risk to owning one of these incredible birds.

So long story short I guess, if you save and then budget, research the species, dedicate to their health and training, ideally meet some, and have the passion for them, there is absolutely no reason you cannot get a macaw.

Good luck and have fun on your journey. Please keep us updated. If you're able to and decide, we'd love to see a post from you on the Macaw Check in.
:fairy2:

Last edited: