• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Aracari joining our flock

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mango update- he became more “aggressive” so we had to make the decision to aviary house him opposed to keeping him in our livingroom and free flying inside. Not a bad thing for HIM as he prefers it. For a bird lover though we all have this idea that he should act a certain way and when our relationship isn’t what we hoped for we are disappointed. I reached out to all the big named toucan owners on Instagram bc that’s where most post. None had ones who constantly flew at their face to harm them. The previous owners other Toucan is famous on Youtube in his new home ;) Some thought bc I have bigger blue eyes that’s why? He would act “normal” sitting in my lap or playing on a countertop then fly right for my eyes. You have a split second to move bc they fly fast!! He would hit hard enough to leave bruises around my face. We love him and accept he doesn’t want to interact with us in the way we want and instead we made the decision to just be his keepers and allow him to do his thing as an aviary bird. You win some... you accept limitations on others.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well he might readjust his attitude towards you with time, maybe he is getting hormonal so becomes aggressive like many other birds do. Either way sounds like you have a plan and he'll have a good happy life.
Beatrix has never been comfortable with the others in the house with Brock either but loves being out in the small aviary with the rest of the flock and is even much calmer with Brock out there.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The attitude didn't change for almost a year and I enjoy have BOTH eyes. So it wasnt seasonal sadly and I worked with him almost every day. So it was best choice for both of us.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Sometimes the right answer isn't the one we want, but it is still the best way forward.

I'm sorry it didn't work out as you hoped, but I am glad that Mango is happy. From what I have read, toucans are amazing and challenging birds.