• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is a medium sized parrot that makes a good pet like lovebirds?

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
I’m sorry for your loss, but at least you gave Pri the best life you could. Now as for getting another parrot I had very similar requirements in species (even though every bird is an individual and has their own personality) in all my research I narrowed it down to: poichephalus parrots, Senegal parrots, pionus, caiques, lovebirds, cockatiels, half moon conures, GCC (and all mutations), maroon bellied conures, IRN, alexandrine parakeets, cockatoos [although that one doesn’t really fit with noise thing and size but, their pretty much perfect in every other aspect (again as a species)], and a dozen other species that you really won’t find anywhere because no one breeds them or owns them.

Last edited:

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry for your loss!:sadhug:
I don't know if I'm the only one but there's something about the pitch of a caique's call that is very hard for me to deal with. I would highly suggest hearing one in person before committing to one for life.

Good luck in your search for a new companion. I know whichever bird you end up with will be a very lucky one (or two)!
Do you have a example of one, I can't really find any on youtube that makes the loud sound your saying?

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
Amazons are definately bi polar.

Golden conures are also know as queen of Bavaria conures. They are the 2nd largest conure. Mildly rare as they are on the endangered species list, but they may be out of that category now. If you are in the US, you cannot buy them across state lines, have to purchase them within your state.

This one belongs to friend of mine, they talk better than most conures. He still has some green on the wings. When he gets older he will be completely yellow with green wing tops. One thing to note is that goldens are prone to plucking, they require attention.
Oh wow never seen a golden conure before! Are they loud like sun conures? Are they friendly or hormonal too like caiques?
Lovebirds were my first birds, and loved them. I tried parrotlets but they were really aggressive and bitey, like bite down hard unlike lovebirds when they were going through nippy teenage years.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Do you have a example of one, I can't really find any on youtube that makes the loud sound your saying?
Here's 2 videos I found from a quick search

I don't even know if it's the loudness that bothers my ears. I think it's more the shrill pitch. It might not even bother most people but I personally prefer the sound of other parrots. Even though I think caiques are absolutely adorable

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Poicephalus and Pyhurras are my jam. :)

Edit: Pionus as well.

Last edited:

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
Here's 2 videos I found from a quick search

I don't even know if it's the loudness that bothers my ears. I think it's more the shrill pitch. It might not even bother most people but I personally prefer the sound of other parrots. Even though I think caiques are absolutely adorable
Oh gosh, yep never heard that sound before, the shrill sounds! thanks for showing me!

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
Amazons are definately bi polar.

Golden conures are also know as queen of Bavaria conures. They are the 2nd largest conure. Mildly rare as they are on the endangered species list, but they may be out of that category now. If you are in the US, you cannot buy them across state lines, have to purchase them within your state.

This one belongs to friend of mine, they talk better than most conures. He still has some green on the wings. When he gets older he will be completely yellow with green wing tops. One thing to note is that goldens are prone to plucking, they require attention.
Oh wow never seen a golden conure before! Are they loud like sun conures? Are they friendly or hormonal too like caiques?
Lovebirds were my first birds, and loved them. I tried parrotlets but they were really aggressive and bitey, like bite down hard unlike lovebirds when they were going through nippy teenage years.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
They are louder then a sun but not as high pitch. They do have a unique call, they are really sweet as babies and my friend's 1.5 yr old is friendly but a scaredy cat. The are generally more on the friendlier side but it depends on the bird.