• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouting Quinoa

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi my fellow sprouters!

Any tips & tricks on sprouting this grain? I purchased some @ Aldi's today knowing that its a powerhouse for us, I assume sprouted its a powerhouse for Buddy.

Any tips & tricks may help me keep from having a crop loss, we hate throwing ANY food out here @ my house! Since I have a couple hundred headed towards the can, (due to recent events), I'd like to avoid any further can filler, if possible.

W/ that being said, it may get hot here over the next few days. I was having issues w/ crop failures w/ pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds @ = temps this summer. Should I just wait until the next few days are over? I haven't ever sprouted a grain before...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you go for it, remember to rinse the quinoa often or it will dry out. Best try it using a jar or trays, not in a sieve over a bowl.

Good luck :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Quinoa sprouts incredibly fast. You might find that just soaking it overnight starts the germination process and little tails begin to be visible. If so drain, rinse well and feed.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Quinoa sprouts incredibly fast. You might find that just soaking it overnight starts the germination process and little tails begin to be visible. If so drain, rinse well and feed.
If you go for it, remember to rinse the quinoa often or it will dry out. Best try it using a jar or trays, not in a sieve over a bowl.

Good luck :)
Thanks my friends! How often to rinse... A few places say every few hours. Will they make it over night? Or do I need to set an alarm & get up every 3-4?

:bighug:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Soak over night, then drain in the morning, rinse every now and then, they will be done by the end of the day. Pat dry on kitchen paper and put in a jar or container in the fridge :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I generally only rinse and drain after 8-12 hours.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I generally only rinse and drain after 8-12 hours.
Soak over night, then drain in the morning, rinse every now and then, they will be done by the end of the day. Pat dry on kitchen paper and put in a jar or container in the fridge :)
Thanks Ladies! I usually do an overnight soak so this should work out nice. Buddy prefers the soaked non grown portion, so I'm going to try to do enough for 2 meals, 2 days worth & go from there. Let you know how it works out!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I think you will find that the Quinoa sprouts REALLY quickly! Would be interested to know how it goes! I have a friend in Virginia who just soaks over night as it has sprouted in the water by the morning. I mix Quinoa with my other grains and legumes so it is allowed to grow for a day or two. I rinse morning and evening after the initial soaking.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry i dont sprout anything. Wish i could be more helpful.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Buddy prefers the soaked non grown portion
I think you will find that the Quinoa sprouts REALLY quickly!

My birds like the tails so I sprout them during the day. But you may just be able to soak overnight, drain and serve. They really do sprout quick :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you will find that the Quinoa sprouts REALLY quickly! Would be interested to know how it goes! I have a friend in Virginia who just soaks over night as it has sprouted in the water by the morning. I mix Quinoa with my other grains and legumes so it is allowed to grow for a day or two. I rinse morning and evening after the initial soaking.
The reason (I think) Buddy's not to into the tails as they poke him in the face. With whatever is going on w/ his eyes, I don't think he can tell what they are & then he backs away w/ out finishing anything past the harder surfaces. I have to replace all my sprouting stuff except for what I purchased individually. Because of the he who "won't be named" situation... Right now the priority is big bills & Buddys upcoming vet visit. Over time, I'll add more beans & grains. Until then, it's gonna be an item @ a time, because my food budgets spent. Oh well, live & learn.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Soak over night or place in the fridge if it's already started to sprout. That is what I do now when it's warmer indoors.
And I never sprout more then what we eat for one day.

Yes Quinoa sprouts really fast. Sometimes I just soak them over night and eat them the day after and some are already sprouted.

This is how I sprout mine.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Soak over night or place in the fridge if it's already started to sprout. That is what I do now when it's warmer indoors.
And I never sprout more then what we eat for one day.

Yes Quinoa sprouts really fast. Sometimes I just soak them over night and eat them the day after and some are already sprouted.

This is how I sprout mine.

Thank you for that! I didn't know about the clear part. I have been using some canisters which are a mix of clear & cloudy. They usually work out ok but I may start to just do a day or 2's worth, because he's gotten so anti-tail... I just hope he gets a little of that part when he eats. Sometimes I trim the sprouts for him & then he chews a little of everything.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for that! I didn't know about the clear part.
You can also put them in a cupboard to sprout if you are using glass :) But I think for quinoa it won´t matter to do it on the side. It is helpful to speed up sprouting lentils and beans but if you speed up quinoa you will have lots of tails.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I didn't know about the clear part.
Many doesn't and I see many clear pots for sprouting.
But I you think about it. Where do seed normally sprout? Yes in the dark, under ground.
They will sprout faster because they natural seeks to the light.
A biologist tought me this. :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Thanks my friends! How often to rinse... A few places say every few hours. Will they make it over night? Or do I need to set an alarm & get up every 3-4?

:bighug:
No need to worry about over night.
Quinoa sprout very fast for me.
So I add them to my sprouts after all the others have soaked. And do serve from that point on if I need.
So normal every 6 hours, except over night is ok.

Same as usual, get used to smell, feel, taste. Then you hopefully you will know when things go wrong.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No need to worry about over night.
Quinoa sprout very fast for me.
So I add them to my sprouts after all the others have soaked. And do serve from that point on if I need.
So normal every 6 hours, except over night is ok.

Same as usual, get used to smell, feel, taste. Then you hopefully you will know when things go wrong.
Yes, sometimes a few lost crops can make you see whats going on.

Ok, I have soaked the quinoa & soaked Lentils. Buddy was very off put, till I ate a little bit. Then small bite, then a little bigger bite, then a Lentil, eyes go crazy. He musta spent @ least 45 min's w/ his head in that bowl grinding all the goodness up. It never takes him that long to eat, I am pretty sure it was a sucess!

Now, my sprouters are clear & cloudy, but I sprout in a dark spot in my kitchen. The lentils probably need a larger hole sprouter, It's in the dishwasher... I'll put them in there after it runs thru tonight. No tails on the Quinoa that I saw & I'm gonna & (have) rinsed multiple times. I can see how they could dry out quickly!