• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Chirp is looking great! So nice to see him healing!!! He´s a beautiful bird :) ❤

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Glad to hear he is feeling better! :heart:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well wishes from NY! I've been thinking abt Chirp every day! I'm so happy he's doing better!

:gbh: to you both!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay, that’s such great news!:dance4:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I thought the bruise was lightening but I guess not, and his beak is getting long again. Vet in 1 week, I'm hoping we can hold out till then for a beak trim.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm sorry that he still seems to be having issues. I hope that that's normal for what has happened and that it's just working it's way out of his cute little body. Hope you can hold off for another week to get a trim.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Dang, I’m sorry to hear his beak is getting long again and the bruise is still there.:(I hope there is some improvement soon and you can wait on the trim.
:hug8:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We saw the vet today.

His beak is worse. She says his beak is even more brittle, and has started to split. She said that it goes all the way up to his mouth, where there is blood. She says also he has lost weight- down from 30 to 28 since last visit. The vet says she's never seen a beak this bad- She went and showed him to the other AV there to see what she thought- they ended up doing the trim with a dremel rather than a file.

And he can't have hard pellets anymore- only softened ones, like pellet mash. She says he's probably eating less because he's in pain, but she doesn't want to prescribe a pain med because it would affect his liver, and he can't handle that right now. He has to have flaxseed oil in his food now (will get some tomorrow) and she prescribed an ointment for his beak, in addition to the milk thistle in his water.

So I have to watch to make sure his beak doesn't get worse- and give him his ointment and milk thistle and flaxseed oil. The says he will have to come in every 2-4 weeks for the foreseeable future, for beak trims and check-ups. We go in again on the 13th, and she says to take pictures regularly and come in right away if anything seems off. She also said she talked with a board-certified AV in California, who pointed her to a lab in CA, which recommended she report them to the FDA, which she is in the process of doing.

When she took him to go talk with the other vet and do the beak trim, I could hear them in the other room- which gave me a minute to sob. For a long time, Chirp was quiet- I was so scared something had happened. They were talking in very hushed tones- full of care and concern. I just can't stand this, what this con artist has done to us, has done to our family, has done to Chirp. She has put us through h-ll and she is getting nothing for it.

I will fight tooth and nail for my family until the bitter end.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe poor little Chirp.

Make sure you replace the moistened pellets several times a day. Moistened pellets can grow bacteria or molds rather quickly and you don't want Chirp to have any extra to deal with. When I make mash for my young chickens I replace it every 2 hours.

Sending warm thoughts to Chirp. You can beat this little guy :hug5:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so angry too, that someone could do this not just to people for the money, but to innocent birds. Just disgusting. I hope a speedy recovery for Chirp. :sadhug2:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry to hear the news from your vet :( Poor Chirp - I feel for him and his tender beak :sad11: I am glad you have such a great doctor looking after him, tho :sadhug2:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm tearing up over this. There simply aren't any words that truly express how I feel about everything that's gone down, and now with sweet little ones becoming sick in the process.

Do you think Chirp would eat some softened, blended pellets with some fresh veggies added in? He wouldn't really have to crunch down on anything hard that way.
When I return from my trip, and if you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some of my veggie sprinkles to help you get some good nutrition down. It will be my gift to you and Chirp.

Sending prayers up for Chirp's healing.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm tearing up over this. There simply aren't any words that truly express how I feel about everything that's gone down, and now with sweet little ones becoming sick in the process.

Do you think Chirp would eat some softened, blended pellets with some fresh veggies added in? He wouldn't really have to crunch down on anything hard that way.
When I return from my trip, and if you'd like, I'd be happy to send you some of my veggie sprinkles to help you get some good nutrition down. It will be my gift to you and Chirp.

Sending prayers up for Chirp's healing.
That's very kind of you, but I think for the time being I don't want to mess with his diet. I have to make sure he's eating, and the pellets are the only thing I know he will. He can't afford to lose more weight right now by being a picky butt (which he is, bigtime) . But I appreciate your kindness :hug8:

He's eating his pellet mush right now. Are there any veggies that are particularly good for liver stuff? I'm going to the health food store tomorrow to get the flaxseed oil so I can maybe look.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You have the milk thistle already?
Yeah, he got it last visit. 8 drops per 1 ounce of water. And today he got ointment, it's silver sulfadiazine. That's for the split on his beak, just a tiny bit on the split. And tomorrow we will go get some of the flaxseed oil, the vet says the techs get it at the health food store here in town, so we'll just get it there.