• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Abdominal Swelling?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Brushes are not safe for parrots. A spoon is the safest way to feed a parrot chick.

If you struggle to get the chick to open it´s beak and start to bob for food, you can put your finger and thumb together (like in a pinch shape) making sure there is a gap between your nails, then gently go in sideways and gently touch the chicks beak. This simulates the feeling of the parents beak.
I don´t know if this is written about anywhere, it is just what I have done for any chicks that didn´t take to the food the first few feeds and it worked for me every time. Including Adelie, because she had her eyes closed when I started feeding her.
Chicks learn pretty quick how to eat, so after a couple of feeds you should have no issues with them not opening beaks until they are rejecting formula.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I just took a couple of pics because I don't know if I'm explaining clearly.
Remember to have your hand a little higher than mine in the picture, but I just want to show what I mean about touching the beak...
IMG_20190816_153415.jpg IMG_20190816_153422.jpg
Obviously my bird can't look up for me to show you a better hand position.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A paint brush works well for small mammals, such as orphaned mice, since they do indeed suck. I would keep brushes away from little parrots.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
For mammals we used bottles. Brushes worked fine with small wild birds, the hospital's vets approved and supervised too ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@ParrotletMama I'm glad things seem to be going well. One point I want to mention - pellets are hard on the kidneys for parrotlets. It is not advised to feed them too much pellet food. Mine love every kind of veggie, fruit, sprouts (the most nutritious food), Roudybush pellets (yes they get some just not tons) , and an occasional seed mix like cockatiel mix. Their other main food besides fresh is Goldenfeast Australian blend - it must be crack for p'lets.

Moving forward, if you don't want your parrotlets to breed just remove the eggs OR don't give her a nest at all. If she continues laying a ton of eggs, members here can help you change things around to stop the chronic egg laying.