• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do You love Lovebirds

Connersbirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Conner
Hello I'm Connersbirds I have three lovebirds as you know it.
image.jpeg Beauty

Hello today I want to tell you
the pros and cons about lovebirds
Pros:
  • Lovebirds can be trained
  • They will form a bond with there owner if kept in one
  • They could be a very good friend
Cons:

• Some lovebirds bite
  • They poop a lot and it kinda smells
  • They are very scared birds

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
  • Some lovebirds bite
  • They poop a lot and it kinda smells
  • They are very scared birds
Not sure if I agree that they are scared birds., at least not the peach faced species. The eye rings tend to be more skittish. Also I havent ran across any lovebirds with smelly poop except maybe if you leave it for like a month and have it build up?

Connersbirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Conner
Not sure if I agree that they are scared birds., at least not the peach faced species. The eye rings tend to be more skittish. Also I havent ran across any lovebirds with smelly poop except maybe if you leave it for like a month and have it build up?
Yes there poop does stink apparently you got the wrong
Bird. Maybe you need to come to my house.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Hmm, my lovebird is anything but scared! She is seriously so curious about everything in life. I've also never encountered bird poop that has a smell unless there was a huge built-up amount.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I’ve never been able to smell my birds’ poop. My understanding is that if it smells, there’s something wrong.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes there poop does stink apparently you got the wrong
Bird. Maybe you need to come to my house.
Actually, parrot droppings aren't supposed to smell. If they do, that can be a sign of sickness.....

And lovies are adorable.

Connersbirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Conner
Hmm, my lovebird is anything but scared! She is seriously so curious about everything in life. I've also never encountered bird poop that has a smell unless there was a huge built-up amount.
Yes I guess you're right it's just when you first get it.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird is fearless. It's actually a known trait of their .

Connersbirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Conner
That diet isn’t great. Ideally they should eat veggies instead of fruit and seeds should be a very small portion of their dry food compared to pellets. What you’ve described is a recipe for liver and kidney disease.
K I'll note that

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They will form a bond with there owner if kept in one
Will is a strong word. Lack of patience, knowledge or time devoted can result in the bird not forming a relationship with their human. A ¨bond¨ is never guaranteed with any bird that is not a stuffed toy.

Some lovebirds bite
All birds have the potential to bite, even the cuddly cute ones. It is not a con to any species.

They poop a lot and it kinda smells
Smelly poops = sick bird and a vet check up is in order.

They are very scared birds
My lovebird is fearless. It's actually a known trait of their .
Lovebirds (especially hens) are notoriously fearless, but if you were to take a new large object and run over to the cage waving it, I´m sure it would scare the birds... but really, who does something like that? So I would not agree that they are ¨scared birds¨.

Seeds and fruit
I agree with @LunaLovebird . Introduce lots more veggies to your birds diet. Also check that the seeds you are giving are healthy seeds, not just sunflower seeds.
Lots of fruit = lots of sugar consumed.

Your cage looks quite spacey but empty. Does your little guy have some toys? There are some threads on the forum all about DIY toys if you can´t find good bird toys in your country.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Your cage looks quite spacey but empty. Does your little guy have some toys? There are some threads on the forum all about DIY toys if you can´t find good bird toys in your country.
I'd like to add that different types of perches are very important for their feet. Dowel perches are a big 'no no' from what I have read. Do you have other perches and things for them to climb on?
I'm sorry if I sound like a (*) but thought I might mention it.

Connersbirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Conner
I'd like to add that different types of perches are very important for their feet. Dowel perches are a big 'no no' from what I have read. Do you have other perches and things for them to climb on?
i have bridges in there. I have a branch they also like climbing in there cage. But thank you for those options.

Connersbirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Conner
i also have toys in there like a rope and a mirror i just got the cage but soon it will have more toys

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
i also have toys in there like a rope and a mirror i just got the cage but soon it will have more toys
Personally, I’d remove the mirror, but that’s a rather controversial topic so I won’t go into detail.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
My lovebird was never scared. He was loving but a one person bird to owner. He hated other birds and would be a bully to other birds lol. Mine loved to cuddle, be scratched, and he LOVED feeding me. He also loved his bagel toys. He got aggressive when I played with him but besides that he was a loving bird!