• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

That little bit of "extra".

Lauraratinga

Checking out the neighborhood
First, I would like to express my admiration for those you who share their lives with rescued/adopted cockatoos. Anyone who opens their heart and embraces such a complex being, perseveres through the thick and thin, deserves recognition. Keeping any species of this genus successfully requires a special type of "extra". Fly-by-nighters need not apply.

My appreciation for these majestic birds began in the 90's. I was a young, gleeful teen who would regularly visit the local pet store. One day, I was interrogating the shop owner when I heard a gut wrenching cry coming from the back of the store. The owner ignored the noise, and continued our conversation. I patiently waited until he was distracted with a phone call before I made my move to investigate. There, in the back of the room surrounded by stacked crates and product boxes was an 18" cage covered with a blanket. As I lifted the blanket, a long grey toe with a curled black nail grasped my finger. I was astonished to reveal a full sized umbrella cockatoo stuffed into that tiny cage and I stood there gobsmacked. We stared at each other. Those dark eyes penetrated into my soul. I couldn't leave without that bird. The shop owner agreed to hold him/her for me and I went home none the wiser. I absorbed every piece of literature pertaining to cockatoo ownership that I could find, which at the time was very limited, sourced out a large cage and felt I was ready for my new feathered partner in crime. My parents agreed to finance my decision, although they failed to provide the reality check I so desperately needed.

When I finally returned to the store I was greeted by another type of noise. This time the cockatoo was in mid screaming fit and nothing that I had read prepared me for this. Strike one. I figured he was throwing a tantrum given his living conditions (he wouldn't behave like that in MY loving home) so I proceeded to the back of the shop. He was uncovered, perched on top of his cage located in a different spot and instantly solicited a head scratch as I approached. He climbed onto my arm and we cuddled for what seemed like an eternity. I placed him back onto his cage and noticed a large greyish white mark on my shirt. Strike two. After discussing diet, enrichment, and my expectations with the shop owner I was finally ready. When the owner went to collect my bird, whom I had already named Fred, in a split second Fred went from sweet and cuddly to terrifying and demonic. He bit the shop keeper's arm, grinding and refusing to release, leaving a considerable bloody gash that likely required sutures. Strike three. I quickly retracted my desire to purchase Fred and fled the shop as if it were ablaze.

Later that evening as I dismantled his would-be cage I realized that I was not cut out for life with a cockatoo. I lacked that "extra". Thankfully my epiphany occurred prior to bringing Fred into my life, and who knows, perhaps it would have worked out, but I doubt it. Please keep in mind the "strikes" are of no fault of the bird. What I considered deal breakers back then are part and parcel to living with birds. Hindsight is 20/20 and looking back I was young, naive and had the world by the tail. It was arrogant to assume that Fred would integrate into my home with the same fluidity as other domesticated pets or birds and we'd all live harmoniously singing Kumbaya. I was selfish and impractical, despite my good intentions.

I have since learned a lot about birds, psittacines in particular. My passion for them will never wane, and I share my life with several, but to quote the OLG, I "know my limit and play within it". So for those of you who heroically adopt a cockatoo in need, I applaud you, because those intermittent "ugly" times are for life.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So you have birds now??

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
what kind, pictures, we love pics

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When the owner went to collect my bird, whom I had already named Fred, in a split second Fred went from sweet and cuddly to terrifying and demonic. He bit the shop keeper's arm, grinding and refusing to release, leaving a considerable bloody gash that likely required sutures. Strike three. I quickly retracted my desire to purchase Fred and fled the shop as if it were ablaze.
You missed a pretty big bullet. :)

Usually this part doesn't happen until very naive new pet owners get the bird home for a day or two and the bird realizes these changes are real.

because those intermittent "ugly" times are for life.
This was very deep. Profound truth. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I feel like we here at the forum often discourage people from adopting cockatoos but only with the best intentions. Heaven knows there are so many out there in need of good homes but many people just have no idea what they're in for. You wisely saw the warning signs in time. Cockatoos are wonderful birds but they are not for everyone. I help with a parrot rescue and was at an event this weekend. I was telling one of my - guess what Elvis did today stories, and one of the people from the rescue said, 'thank goodness you adopted Elvis. Had anyone else adopted him, I think he would have been returned to the rescue by now.' And the comment actually made me sad because I realized he was probably right. Elvis is not a "bad" bird by any means. He is actually a sweet bird. But he's a bird that requires a lot of dedication and patience. I have non-bird owner friends who I'm pretty sure think I'm crazy for having him. And maybe, I am. LOL. But I love him and he'll always have a home with me.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I feel so lucky to have the information on Cockatoos easily accessible on this forum and on the internet. They are captivating, and I would definitely be jumping in head first with one if I didn't know enough about the species. I dream of owning one some day, and I'm profoundly envious of those who have a special bond with a too in their life! BUT thank the birdie gods I don't have one at the point in my life. I can't imagine the ins and outs of cockatoo ownership with a toddler, plus being pregnant. Neither the bird or our family would be exceptionally happy. Thanks for this post, it really really hits home!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I had researched cockatoos before getting my first one I don't know if I would have purchased Keno. In a way I am glad I didn't have information beforehand. When it comes down to it, though, it probably is good to know what you are getting into although I don't consider either of my 'toos "problem children". At least I would have known about the escape artist abilities of Goffin's before having a wall chewed and I would have had ear plugs on hand. Fred sounds as if he was quite a handful.
Love both my 'toos, only bitten by Keno twice and only bitten by Cody when I've held her while she has had seizures. Screaming is infrequent and can deal with that.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If I had researched cockatoos before getting my first one I don't know if I would have purchased Keno. In a way I am glad I didn't have information beforehand. When it comes down to it, though, it probably is good to know what you are getting into although I don't consider either of my 'toos "problem children". At least I would have known about the escape artist abilities of Goffin's before having a wall chewed and I would have had ear plugs on hand. Fred sounds as if he was quite a handful.
Love both my 'toos, only bitten by Keno twice and only bitten by Cody when I've held her while she has had seizures. Screaming is infrequent and can deal with that.
What?!? Screaming is infrequent? How do you do that? I think I've decreased Elvis's screaming but we're not at infrequent.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What?!? Screaming is infrequent? How do you do that? I think I've decreased Elvis's screaming but we're not at infrequent.
I don't know. I don't always ignore it which I know is not the best thing to do. A few of the other birds will tell them to "Stop it." and Jake will tell them to "Shut up". I said that a lot before I knew better. There are days when they scream more often but it wouldn't be what I would consider a lot of screaming. Today, for example, there has been very little to no screaming. The screaming will probably start in about 25 minutes because that's @ bedtime and Cody will want me to cover her and turn off the lights. Then Keno will start screaming because I turned off the lights. That will last about 15 minutes, maybe a bit more, and then they will finally stop screaming. How old is Elvis? I don't remember.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thanks for the post! I totally agree!

I love cockatoos and think they are incredible animals , but I also know I would not be able to provide one with the home it deserves. I'm lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood frequented by cockatoos, and get to watch their antics from afar. I go for a regular walk on sundays at the same time, and I always pass a cockatoo hanging upside down from a branch on the same tree.

It takes someone very special to rehome a cockatoo! Below is a pic from main street in my neighbourhood
20190629_160133.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

I love cockatoos and think they are incredible animals , but I also know I would not be able to provide one with the home it deserves. I'm lucky enough to live in a neighbourhood frequented by cockatoos, and get to watch their antics from afar. I go for a regular walk on sundays at the same time, and I always pass a cockatoo hanging upside down from a branch on the same tree.

It takes someone very special to rehome a cockatoo! Below is a pic from main street in my neighbourhood
View attachment 310583
Wow! How amazing. Thanks for sharing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know. I don't always ignore it which I know is not the best thing to do. A few of the other birds will tell them to "Stop it." and Jake will tell them to "Shut up". I said that a lot before I knew better. There are days when they scream more often but it wouldn't be what I would consider a lot of screaming. Today, for example, there has been very little to no screaming. The screaming will probably start in about 25 minutes because that's @ bedtime and Cody will want me to cover her and turn off the lights. Then Keno will start screaming because I turned off the lights. That will last about 15 minutes, maybe a bit more, and then they will finally stop screaming. How old is Elvis? I don't remember.
The Elvis screaming has actually gotten better. He's wild caught so we don't know exactly how old he is. 27 or older? He screams in the morning because he wants uncovered/out. He'll generally scream when I get ready for work because he wants to be with me. If Howie isn't home I let Elvis "help" me get ready but on mornings Howie is still home, I put Elvis back in. He will scream throughout the day for Howie if Howie is home alone with him, although Howie says that has gotten better. But Elvis will still have at least one 20 minute screaming fit for him usually. He screams when I get home because he's excited that I'm home. And then he starts screaming around Scooter's bedtime because he knows he gets one on one time with me once Scooter goes to bed. And we still have the periodic screaming in the middle of the night but that has also improved. He doesn't scream that much when I'm home alone with him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

So cool to be able to walk outside and see all those cockatoos.

The Elvis screaming has actually gotten better. He's wild caught so we don't know exactly how old he is. 27 or older? He screams in the morning because he wants uncovered/out. He'll generally scream when I get ready for work because he wants to be with me. If Howie isn't home I let Elvis "help" me get ready but on mornings Howie is still home, I put Elvis back in. He will scream throughout the day for Howie if Howie is home alone with him, although Howie says that has gotten better. But Elvis will still have at least one 20 minute screaming fit for him usually. He screams when I get home because he's excited that I'm home. And then he starts screaming around Scooter's bedtime because he knows he gets one on one time with me once Scooter goes to bed. And we still have the periodic screaming in the middle of the night but that has also improved. He doesn't scream that much when I'm home alone with him.

I think that the screaming will keep decreasing but it takes time. I didn't get up until 9:15 this AM and no screaming. Keno is wild caught and is probably about 30-31 years old. I've had her since she was about 8 months old. I know that she used to scream more but over the years it has lessened. However, some days, for whatever reason, she will scream more often than other days. I haven't a clue why. Cody didn't start screaming until she was over a year old but she did cry for about a year. She is domestic, got her when she was about 10-11 weeks old and she is 27 years old. Sometimes while I am feeding the birds Keno and Cody will start screaming. Keno wants attention but Cody does this because she wants me to put her food bowl back in the cage. I'll refresh her food but won't put the bowl back until I change her cage papers because she throws a lot of food on the bottom and if she does that on top of clean paper I'll put that "stuff" back in the bowl but I won't do that with dirtied paper. As soon as I put the bowl back in she stops screaming. Also if I pay a lot of attention to one of the birds Keno will sometimes start screaming because she wants me to pay more attention to her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cool to be able to walk outside and see all those cockatoos.

I think that the screaming will keep decreasing but it takes time. I didn't get up until 9:15 this AM and no screaming. Keno is wild caught and is probably about 30-31 years old. I've had her since she was about 8 months old. I know that she used to scream more but over the years it has lessened. However, some days, for whatever reason, she will scream more often than other days. I haven't a clue why. Cody didn't start screaming until she was over a year old but she did cry for about a year. She is domestic, got her when she was about 10-11 weeks old and she is 27 years old. Sometimes while I am feeding the birds Keno and Cody will start screaming. Keno wants attention but Cody does this because she wants me to put her food bowl back in the cage. I'll refresh her food but won't put the bowl back until I change her cage papers because she throws a lot of food on the bottom and if she does that on top of clean paper I'll put that "stuff" back in the bowl but I won't do that with dirtied paper. As soon as I put the bowl back in she stops screaming. Also if I pay a lot of attention to one of the birds Keno will sometimes start screaming because she wants me to pay more attention to her.
I think I jinxed Howie saying the screaming got better. LOL. He just called me twice in the last 15 minutes and Elvis is screaming his head off. I'm sure it's because he wants to be out with Howie

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cockatoos are wonderful birds but they are not for everyone.
...an Essential Truth, if there ever was one. People who are owned by 'toos are a breed apart, indeed. You have to be...because otherwise that bird can...and will drive you nuts.
have non-bird owner friends who I'm pretty sure think I'm crazy for having him. And maybe, I am. LOL.
I freely admit to being one of those "crazy 'too persons"...and I can spot another one in public in about 4 seconds....give or take a second or two...;)
I love him and he'll always have a home with me.
...if there ever was a time Elvis would need a new home, you wouldn't have to worry...we'd be there in about an hour and a half...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
[QUOTE="cassiesdad, post: 3095774, member: 3411

...if there ever was a time Elvis would need a new home, you wouldn't have to worry...we'd be there in about an hour and a half...;)[/QUOTE]

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Thank you. Not that I want that day to ever come, but it does mean so much to me to know that someone would love and care for Elvis as much I do. This forum has brought me many blessings and some truly wonderful people into my life.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
it does mean so much to me to know that someone would love and care for Elvis as much I do.
...yes, we love Elvis almost as much as you...because there's nothing better than Mom's love...:heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Lauraratinga you started a wonderful cockatoo thread. Love reading all the stories. Now i am sure i am a budgie woman I would love to meet everyones toos, especially Elvis if he wanted to.

I met a Goffins one time at a bird club meeting and was enamored with the beautiful bird.

Last edited: