• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free Flight and homing untamed Budgie

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh my gosh, I didn't even read that part... I must be picking and choosing without even knowing it by 'selective viewing'!
Thanks for pointing that out!
I've found that MANY websites recommend to clip, or mention it in passing as something not only natural but completely obvious. Like "How stupid would you be to even think about taming a bird still able to fly??" Difficult to avoid them all... Some have good advices despite the clipping part..

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Very helpful site! :) Except for the nr 8 saying to keep your bird's wings clipped of course.. :bored:

I've found that MANY websites recommend to clip, or mention it in passing as something not only natural but completely obvious. Like "How stupid would you be to even think about taming a bird still able to fly??" Difficult to avoid them all... Some have good advices despite the clipping part..

Yes, isn't that a darn shame?!
Hopefully one day the majority will tell the real truth and say that clipping is very much a last resort, and you should never use it as a method of disabling your bird just to handle it! Ugh! Too much wrong info out there.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Yes, isn't that a darn shame?!
Hopefully one day the majority will tell the real truth and say that clipping is very much a last resort, and you should never use it as a method of disabling your bird just to handle it! Ugh! Too much wrong info out there.
Yes but it is so convenient when the bird can't escape... I'm afraid it will take a long time...

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yes but it is so convenient when the bird can't escape... I'm afraid it will take a long time...

And I'm an idiot with no patience or sense whatsoever, so ... snip snip. :eek::(
At least they're not advocating cutting their tongues to get them to talk - at least I don't think they are anymore!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
And I'm an idiot with no patience or sense whatsoever, so ... snip snip. :eek::(
At least they're not advocating cutting their tongues to get them to talk - at least I don't think they are anymore!
OMG, now that you say so, I remember reading in my youth that it was possible to make a manate (or was it a crow...?) talk by cutting the tongue in half like a snake :arghh:
The breeder I got my birds from once contacted me to ask if I had sold the last bird I got from her, she had been phoned by a friend who had just taken a budgie home from people who had glue his wings to the body with TAPE?! :wideyed: It took them hours to free the poor baby without peeling all the feathers away... :dead:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The breeder I got my birds from once contacted me to ask if I had sold the last bird I got from her, she had been phoned by a friend who had just taken a budgie home from people who had glue his wings to the body with TAPE?! :wideyed: It took them hours to free the poor baby without peeling all the feathers away... :dead:
:omg: That's Horrible!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
OMG, now that you say so, I remember reading in my youth that it was possible to make a manate (or was it a crow...?) talk by cutting the tongue in half like a snake :arghh:

I think it was a crow and also I guess they did this barbaric sadistic tongue thing with Mynah birds as well.
I can't imagine how painful that would be for someone to cut my tongue like this!
Tape... OMG. How horrible. Mean, evil, heinous.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Tape... OMG. How horrible. Mean, evil, heinous.
I really think they didn't mean any harm... since they let someone else take the bird and didn't try to hide what they had done beforehand... I'm sure they meant it was how you get a bird tame, the same way others clip wings. These were people from another country where birds and animals in general are still considered as ours were 100 years ago... animals, for use and entertainment, they don't have feelings, pain, needs. Just feed them and that's enough care.

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
Almost done. It’s been so hot; working outside is very exhausting. I am on a break right now. I should finish it before sunset.

Attachments

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just went through this thread. I'm so interested in your project! I can't wait to see the birds in it!!

Bourke313

Meeting neighbors
It’s here, finally. After long hours and frustrating wait, it’s complete and looks very satisfying .

Attachments

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! Beautiful! Such lucky birdies!