• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Diet Help

SmallFeather

Walking the driveway
Hello everyone, I recently adopted the most darling cockatiel, Barley, but am a little confused about his diet. The wonderful rescue I adopted him from said to feed him a tablespoon of chop and fruit in the morning, and a tablespoon of birdie salad at night along with a half tablespoon of pellet seed mix. My new vets says to free feed him pellets, give 1/4 cup of seeds daily, and feed some veggies and fruit in a separate bowl. I feel inclined to follow my vet's directions, but the shelter has a vet staff also so I decided to consult all you wonderful people :). What do you all feed your cockatiels and which is the better diet for my fid?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
which is the better diet for my fid?
...my thought is to follow your vet's advice...it's almost the same recommendation of our vet. I also like to add fresh sprouts...sometimes they're into them, sometimes not...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know some places believe in restricting access to food. However, I believe that tiels should have access to food 24/7. They have high metabolism rates and seldom over eat- unlike cats and dogs. I think your vet's advise is closer to what I feed. I actually feed more on the seed side. Since tiels are granivores I do think they need seed in their diet so I'm glad your vet is including seeds. I fed my tiel about 50% seeds, 15% pellets and the rest vegetables and grains. (Generally, cockatiels don't eat fruit. It's great if yours does, but typically they're not fruit eaters.)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
(Generally, cockatiels don't eat fruit. It's great if yours does, but typically they're not fruit eaters.)
...well said. Ours really don't do fruit, except for maybe a little bit of apple...Sweet bell peppers are absolutely loved here...and they're high in the vitamins they need...;)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I actually mix the pellets and seeds together, and it seems to work for us. He of course picks out his favorites first, but the pellets do get eaten. Then he gets chop in the morning, and maybe again in the evening. He gets fresh seed/pellet in the morning and evening. His favorite veggies are broccoli and cilantro, but he'll nibble a bit of just about anything after I offer it a few times. Make sure you share some pics of Barley! :fairy2::heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new little bird! I agree with everyone else, I would follow your vets advice. My birds have access too their seed and pellets all day, with fresh veggies and sprouts in the evening and sometimes at other times during the day.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 'tiels have 24/7 access to their seed mix and pellets. The also get cooked mixed veggies and chop but I mix these up so not both every day. For treats they get Lafeber Parrot Popcorn, Lafeber Avicakes, small pieces of cashews, and Avian Organics Baked Treats. They also get millet spray but not very often.