• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to get untamed flighted bird into travel cage from full cage

Gubs125

Moving in
Real Name
Reece
The travel cage I have has a really small door, and I have a vet visit due to do a quick checkup. I have tried leaving his favourite treat in the door way and still cannot get him to go inside. I have had him 2 weeks so he doesnt trust me to pick him up adn he doesnt trust me to get him to perch on a broom or anything

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Yep, definitely look up toweling. There’s a lot of info on here about it- it’s the safest way to get an untame bird.

Good luck at the check up :)

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Sometimes I have to towel my tame bird :meh: Good luck, I know it's frustrating when you are trying to do something good for them like a vet visit and they have other plans!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I put a sock on my hand.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What kind of bird?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are videos on this subject on YT.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I saw from another thread that you have a GCC. They are an easy size to quickly towel with one hand (using a small hand or dish towel) and pop into their travel cage. Quietly and calmly approach from behind, gently encircle his body with your toweled hand, and in he goes. If you're too slow and he catches on and flies away or panics, have another person nearby. Mark his location visually, have the other person turn out the lights, then proceed with the towel. Birds will tend not to fly in the dark as readily.

The key is really to make sure he's engaged with something, like food, before reaching for him. AND preferably have him in a position where things aren't in the way when toweling him. So feeding him near a perch on an open cage door is a better place than a perch deep inside the cage. It should ideally be so smooth and quick that he doesn't even realize what's happened until he's secure in his travel cage. My GCC can be a nasty beast, and yet he has never been upset about being "magically teleported" into his travel cage! Also make sure to leave yourself plenty of time prior to the appointment so that you don't feel stressed or in a hurry to catch him.