• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

3 week old canaries are now scared of me

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
3 weeks ago I had 3 little canaries hatch, mum was not feeding properly after 2nd day so I started to help. After day 5 she stopped so iv been mum. 1 died at 2 weeks but even though eating well was not growing. The other two were doing great till Monday. When they took their first flight. They have free flight of two rooms. Since then they are now scared of me, so I had to put them in a cage (with free flight after feeding). They will only feed from me when starving and eating maybe half of what they were prior. They will only nibble by themselves I smear some food on the perch next to them and not from the little bowls with egg yolk mix, egg food, crushed soaked seed and veg. Iv also a saucer with pebbles and water. Is it normal for baby canaries to get scared at this age and get bad with me feeding them, before they learn to feed themselves? Mum and Dad also have free flight is same rooms and bubs can see them feeding but there is no interaction between them. If anything Mum and Dad seem a little frightened of these new birds! Any advice welcome as dont want to lose them from lack of food IMG_20190721_094546.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes, I think this is normal. Around the time they fledge they become afraid of people, even if they were calm earlier in some cases. You can soak some millet and water for about 30 minutes to make it easier for them to eat, also feed them hard-boiled egg mashed up or dry commercial egg food. They should be old enough to start picking at it.

Beautiful babies!

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
Thank you, their a little scruffy, one looks like Mum the other like Dad. Yep im doing the food right they are just slow in the learning or I was just feeding them too well lol. Will they get tame again later? It is my first time hand feeding, iv always just let my previous canaries come to me if they wanted to. Not been bothered with training as long as they will go in the aviary every now and again if needed.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you handle them a lot, they can become tame. Do you call them to you when feeding? And if so do they come or do they ignore you?

Suzana

Moving in
Real Name
Susan
I make funny noises or just say little bubs, but the little stick I use is right by them before they start reacting and maybe move 2-3 cms! They dont seem to realise my hands are a part of me?