• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caring for my 16 year old Tortie

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
She is really cute. I too have a sixteen year old tortie cat, who thankfully, doesn't appear to have any health issues yet. Because you caught it in the early stages, Abby should have many great years to look forward to.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She is really cute. I too have a sixteen year old tortie cat, who thankfully, doesn't appear to have any health issues yet. Because you caught it in the early stages, Abby should have many great years to look forward to.
Hopefully, we will see about that. I am thinking another year possibly.

Right now she wants to eat, walks around and as most sleeps alot.

Thank you! I wish everyone here with Torties would post pics of theirs!

;)

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Awe such a sweet kitty, hope she continues to feel better. My parents 14 year old tuxedo is going through similar issues. My 16 year old son is taking it hard as he picked out their cats for them at age 2 and they’ve been very close. It’s so hard when you love them so much, and their time with us is so limited. I absolutely agree with you about the quality of life- I pray she thrives with this treatment and you get more time together :heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Awe such a sweet kitty, hope she continues to feel better. My parents 14 year old tuxedo is going through similar issues. My 16 year old son is taking it hard as he picked out their cats for them at age 2 and they’ve been very close. It’s so hard when you love them so much, and their time with us is so limited. I absolutely agree with you about the quality of life- I pray she thrives with this treatment and you get more time together :heart:
Thank you :) yes, time isn't in her side in the realm of years, but cats are odd and can get better too. She really gobbles the treats up. As long as she eats, that's the main thing. And she is, she can have whatever she wants!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Thank you! I wish everyone here with Torties would post pics of theirs!
Your wish is my command!

Spook.png

Hope Abby gains a little weight. Spook was down a few pounds from her bouts with IBD, but she gained a pound back over the last couple of months since we got her nausea under control. (Also probably helps that we keep the other cats away from her food now too.) As long as they still want to eat, you know they want to hang in there.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Your wish is my command!

View attachment 309394

Hope Abby gains a little weight. Spook was down a few pounds from her bouts with IBD, but she gained a pound back over the last couple of months since we got her nausea under control. (Also probably helps that we keep the other cats away from her food now too.) As long as they still want to eat, you know they want to hang in there.
Awe! Just beautiful. There is no coat color in cats that is that unique as a snowflake then a Tortishell. She is my 2nd Tortie. And I am sure there will be another someday. Thank you for sharing, she's beautiful.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
After calling the Vet twice for results of the urine culture, it has come back with E Coli bacteria.

I have read up on this and it can cause issues with platelet counts involving RBC and kidney issues. We are on a stronger antibiotic that should target the bacteria.

Still hoping she gains some more weight. I am still giving her fluids every few days.

She's always coming into the kitchen when the dogs get treats, she gets some too. :)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Sorry to hear, Claire, but glad you have results! Strangely enough, Spook had a UTI with the same culture results back in December.. (I think it was triggered by the stress from moving.) Antibiotics cleared it up quickly!

My guys are all really into these and the Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw food as treats these days. I give some to Spook with all of her meals.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Sorry to hear, Claire, but glad you have results! Strangely enough, Spook had a UTI with the same culture results back in December.. (I think it was triggered by the stress from moving.) Antibiotics cleared it up quickly!

My guys are all really into these and the Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw food as treats these days. I give some to Spook with all of her meals.
Thank you for this information. I am really trying to get her to eat more. She's eating, but very little. She has a real interest everytime I come in the kitchen.

She got her first pill last night. Hoping this takes affect on this. Between fluids that is surely helping. Let's hope she begins to feel alot better after this antibiotic kills this bacteria.

Heading out soon, I am going to look for this and some other things to try.

:)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am very sorry for your loss

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am very sorry for your loss
Hi Cynthia, she is still with us. Just an ailing older Girl. Doing my best to give her some quality while she's still here.

Thank you for caring :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have some really good news to update. The new antibiotic is taking seems to be making her feel better. Last night and this morning, I fed her via syringe. As much as she got mad, she ate that. It seemed to have sparked and appetite. I used Royal Canin Kitten food, mushed it up with water. Today, her Daddy sends me pictures of her eating. She ate her dry food, she had a good amount, then had more. When I came home, she wanted more. Both cats also got a nice plate of fresh catnip as well. I had read that catnip can also create an interest in food. I have and will do whatever it takes to give her the life she needs with quality and she's not ready to leave us yet!

I am so happy that she is eating more and more. The infection seems to be on it's way out of her. Her eyes seem brighter to me and actually clearer than the older not feeling well eye.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
20190722_141859.jpg Here is a better face picture from yesterday. She is very content, vocal and active. Nice to see a great turnaround! She was seriously trying to ignore me here :)

Now we keep on working on fattening her up.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@suileeka I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me the info and suggestion of the meal toppers.

I haven't found the probiotic one, but I found little bags that were $2 and have a coupon on them. They are trial size. The chicken one she really likes by Instinct. She might eat 8 pieces at one time. They are high in fat like 26% so that's great.

She has 3 anti biotics left. She's back to going in the cabinet. Yes a low cabinet on the outer side of the kitchen lol. We hear her go in and come out due to car keys hanging in there.

She's eating her dry food and is eating some canned mostly Weruva Chicken soup has shreds of real chicken in it. Lots of snacks whenever she wants. Have not had to give her and sub Q since before the weekend. But I have an extra bag set aside incase.

So far, so good. The infe ton must have really made her feel so bad in addition to being older.

Here she was a few mins ago. She's feeling heavier, she's hydrated and seems and looks very bright eyed. I am happy!

20190729_175942.jpg
In a grocery bag lol

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@suileeka I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving me the info and suggestion of the meal toppers.

I haven't found the probiotic one, but I found little bags that were $2 and have a coupon on them. They are trial size. The chicken one she really likes. She might eat 8 pieces at one time. They are high in fat like 26% so that's great.

She has 3 anti biotics left. She's back to going in the cabinet. Yes a low cabinet on the outer side of the kitchen lo . We hear her go in and come out due to car keys hanging in there.

She's eating her food too. She is eating some canned mostly Weruva Chicken soup has shreds of real chicken in it. Lots of snacks whenever she wants. Have not had to give her and sub Q since before the weekend. Bu . I have an extra bag set aside incase.

So far, so good. The infe ton must have really made her feel so bad in addition to being older.

Here she was a few mins ago. She's feeling heavier, she's hydrated and seems and looks very bright eyed. I am happy!

View attachment 311094
In a grocery bag lol
So cute in the bag! She looks young still!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
So cute in the bag! She looks young still!
I was trying to collage the pics of her face the last 3 weeks. Her face is filled out more, her eyes very bright looking.

Cats love paper bags lol and thank you, she's now 16 years 3 months old. I hope we see 18 to 19 years!

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad she's looking better Claire.

I went to see my parents at the cemetery yesterday and visited the pet area. We looked at all the graves and there were so many 16 year old cats but we did see one that lived to be 19! It was so sweet what people put on the graves like "Duke, he was a really good boy." There were pictures and tons of flowers. We love our animal companions.