• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BUDGIE NESTING BOXES / DUMMY EGGS

nsilverrod

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy Silverrod
I recently adopted four budgies from an animal shelter, with the knowledge that they are bonded pairs. One of the females is exhibiting pre-nesting behaviors and I've been advised to get a nesting box so she doesn't end up egg-bound. I need advice about the size of nesting box as I've seen recommendations for 12x12x12, and most of the boxes I see for sale are much smaller.

Because I have a new puppy, I don't think I'm ready for baby birds. I know I can put dummy eggs in the nest once she starts laying. Are plastic or ceramic eggs better? Why are they so expensive? If it were Easter time, it seems like I could find eggs for Easter baskets for a lot less! And if I found Easter basket eggs, would it matter that they are colored?

Thanks!

Nancy

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Nancy :fairy2:
Congratulations on your four new feathered babies :)

I only put my nesting box out for my laying hen when I see the egg shape and I know it is coming within 24 hours, or sometimes I wait and see if she even lays a second egg.
I have a 14x14x16 (16 is across) for a lovebird, I don´t know the smallest size for a budgie. When I offered a smaller one in the past, she refused it.
12x12x12 seems quite small, try not to go much smaller. There needs to be room for two bird in there.

Dummy eggs are excellent. For the colourful eggs, you would have to check if they were bird safe (not painted, not using toxic material). I would think ceramic would be too heavy? I´m not too sure on that. I have plastic ones. They are a good investment and a heck of a lot cheaper than raising babies :lol: I know they seem expensive but it is a one time purchase ;)

@PoukieBear @Lady Jane

nsilverrod

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nancy Silverrod
Thanks for these thoughts. I spent the afternoon making a nesting box out of a large wooden box that I got at Michaels. A couple more adjustments, and I will hang it up tomorrow, and see what happens!