• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amazed!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
My cockatiel, Lux, was a handfed baby we got from local pet store I used to work at and it was terribly un-tame. We tamed it down after a short while, all it took was mutual respect and slowness and lot's of millet. Today I finally bought a clicker to start clicker then touch training with my Blue Crown primarily. Previously had a clicker/chopstick setup for my Amazon but she was scared of the clicker and I ended up losing the set.

So today YAH but I had the cockatiel out and he WANTED IN ON WHATEVER POPTART IS DOING so he started touching the stick so the training session became Luxs' the cockatiel because Poptart the Blue Crown is... apparently very slow with connecting the dots even after watching Lux. I think it would've taken him way longer if he did not have Lux to watch and get jealous of. I saw the look on his face which clearly read "why is he getting treats what the heck."

But Lux... wow he got it like THAT! I even put him to the side with a piece of millet so I can try to focus on Poptart but he sat there for a second before flying back over to the training perch and trying to touch the stick further. WITH MILLET AVAILABLE! That's a bird that wants to train :).

Poptart is... slowly getting it. I paused the session because while they were very eager, I want to train 1 on 1 with Poptart for now because Lux is getting it way too fast and hogging the treats and poor little Poptart is taking his sweet time. Plus Lux is my boyfriends tiel... he should do these sessions with him. I HAVE TWO CHOPSTICKS! I should have bought two clickers.

Anyways, totally impressed with little cockatiel Lux. And I'll be perfectly honest with you guys (don't hit me)- I thought cockatiels were pretty derpy and sure smart but more on the dopey side. I was proved wrong :). My judgement comes from my friends two cockatiels but.. she doesn't train them they just come out and sit around and they're brats lol.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Often cockatiels are underestimated, they really are great little birds. :) I'm glad things are going well with Lux.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have always wondered if using food coloring on different chopsticks would help with training multiple birds. So Lux would get blue and Poptart would get red as an example. Or if they would be greedy and want to just target any stick. I know using different target colors and patterns have been used at zoological facilities with success.
Just a quick question, do you find yourself wanting to steal the extra chopsticks from Chinese restaurants?