• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY wood perch

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

I am thinking of building a wood tall perch for my quaker and wondering if anyone built one. If yes where did you get the wood? After reading online I went to check at Home depot for untreated wood, which I did find and I think they are pine wood. But I am reading contradicting information online about pine wood and am confused whether it's safe or not for birds. Any experience with that? any suggestions? Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Hi,

I am thinking of building a wood tall perch for my quaker and wondering if anyone built one. If yes where did you get the wood? After reading online I went to check at Home depot for untreated wood, which I did find and I think they are pine wood. But I am reading contradicting information online about pine wood and am confused whether it's safe or not for birds. Any experience with that? any suggestions? Thank you!
Why not try natural branches from outside? They look better, provide enrichment to chew or strip the bark off and are good exercise for their feet.

You can look up a bird safe tree list for where you live and look up pictures of the safe trees then see if there is any in your area.

Sunflower

Meeting neighbors
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Using natural branches was my first thought but wasn't too confident about identifying trees based on my pictures. But I have a crape myrtle tree in my backyard that has never been treated or sprayed with whatsoever. I am thinking of using it. I read online that crape myrtle trees are safe for quaker rather than myrtle tree. I already used a small branch from it as a toy. I cleaned the branch with vinegar and let it dry in the sun for few days. I live in Texas so we are talking about over 100 degrees outside! lol I didn't bake it as recommended by some websites. My birdie plays with that and he seems to be fine. Please let me know if you find anything wrong or any suggestions. thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
untreated pine wood is perfectly safe for birds and is a major component in many toys :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Pine and birch is great. I'm also using apple, as toy parts. They love to chew on that.

Using natural branches was my first thought but wasn't too confident about identifying trees based on my pictures. But I have a crape myrtle tree in my backyard that has never been treated or sprayed with whatsoever. I am thinking of using it.
Do that. It's safe. And don't remove the bark. They love to chew that off.
I cleaned the branch with vinegar and let it dry in the sun for few days.
That is good. But you don't need to let it dry for so many days. Add boiling water over it and let it dry for some hrs then you can use it.

If you have a tree in your garden that you want to use just post some pics of it.
(The whole tree, and pics of the leaf. And tell the tree size)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes you are right. :)
You can prune it at same time when you take some branches.
Here if you don't know how to do it: How to Prune Crape Myrtles