• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HELP! Opinion on love interest toy

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Linnie Gigi (17 months) has been hormonal lately so I'm trying to mix things up. She had a spot on the sofa where the cover lifted and she could burrow so I took that away. She cried and cried at the non-entrance. Then I switched a toy that she didn't seem to mind at all. But lastly I took away the toy she spends time with. It has plastic balls that she mounts and a bell that she puts next to her often during the day and always at night. She cried for a while last night but seems fine this morning. She is crazy cage territorial with or without the love interest toy, so I wonder if I should just give it back. She's a single bird. If this toy is comforting I don't want to take that away.

I'm thinking it's hormones. Yesterday when I put my hand near the burrowing entrance she lunged and screamed. Then later she actually screamed and flew toward my face when my hands were too close. Funny bird, a moment later, she was happily preening on my lap. It's interesting trying to figure out my girl.

Editing to add that I'm not touching her. I don't even ask to touch her beak. She doesn't like my hands, but flies to be on my shoulder or lap, talking and preening. I also never touch her cage when she is in it. I service it when she is on her play gym. Oh, I don't touch that either when she on it. So many rules...

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think @Zara recommends a soft toy for this same sort of problem in another thread.....better a toy than you or total frustration and misery. Something about at least the bird has some outlet for sexual frustration or something like that. Omg, I’ve probably totally misinterpreted her post but I hope not.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, you've got it @Shezbug and I think you are right.

She does not try to touch me in any sexual way, but I do think the toy is her partner. My husband and I were so upset for her last night. We discussed it just now and feel like she can't have the sofa area for burrowing, it makes her aggressive and acting like part of the sofa is hers. But I just returned the toy to her cage. She is already highly cage territorial so what's the difference? The toy is made in such a way that she is able to mount it and manipulate it, draping it over her swing or her sleep perch. She spends a lot of time doing that and I've decided it's ok.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
At least she will be happy tonight :D

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Have you considered getting a second linnie?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At least she will be happy tonight :D
I swear she cries. It's a little repetitive chortle noise that she does when she's upset. It's heartbreaking.

I feel OK (returning the toy) about this, just not the sofa!

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know you know this but will recommend that you get a same sex cage mate for her. Linnies really need other Linnies in their life. This behavior is a prime example of why.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you considered getting a second linnie?
Yeah Matt, every hour of every day. :)

Matt and Dianne, I'm just so afraid it won't work out between them. It's not that I think I'll lose her affection. I think she adores me and our family. But what if they don't get along and I need to have them out at different times and in different cages? That just won't work with my schedule and our small condo.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess I also need to understand if 2 girls could get along in the same cage? 2 boys is probably better. And if it was a boy with Gigi, would I hope for no eggs and just dispose of any that happen? And could a new bird be introduced into a cage that is already Gigi's? I do still have her first cage so that would be fine for a starter. If I had a crystal ball and knew it would work out eventually I would do it in a heartbeat. And of course I have a Linnie breeder that I know and trust. (Matt) ;)

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
What I've found is that linnies almost always get along (after they establish a pecking order at the beginning). Put the new bird in a separate cage and let them play together while out. Unless they draw blood, don't freak out when they squabble. Eventually they'll start to share more and they will go in each other's cages on their own. Then you can move them in together finally. Make sure you have two food and two water bowls to avoid fights.

The gender doesn't matter, except that if you get a Male you have to watch out for fertile eggs.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What I've found is that linnies almost always get along (after they establish a pecking order at the beginning). Put the new bird in a separate cage and let them play together while out. Unless they draw blood, don't freak out when they squabble. Eventually they'll start to share more and they will go in each other's cages on their own. Then you can move them in together finally. Make sure you have two food and two water bowls to avoid fights.

The gender doesn't matter, except that if you get a Male you have to watch out for fertile eggs.
So crazy tempting. I have a stomach ache just thinking about it. I have Gigi's old cage and it's ideal for a young bird. Her current cage has 4 food dish areas and ultimately I would want both birds in there. Eek, I'll just ask. Do you have any Linnies for sale?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
So crazy tempting. I have a stomach ache just thinking about it. I have Gigi's old cage and it's ideal for a young bird. Her current cage has 4 food dish areas and ultimately I would want both birds in there. Eek, I'll just ask. Do you have any Linnies for sale?
Please email me, the forum doesn't allow bird sales.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Caspar went through a period much earlier than Gigi, where he would scream and lunge at me. It's terrifying since they're normally not like that at all! He was getting mad at me last night, but over a Nutriberry again, he seems overall over his teenage stage. But, he has Emrys... Sometimes I'll see Caspar lift a leg on Emrys and then they argue! :o:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Caspar went through a period much earlier than Gigi, where he would scream and lunge at me. It's terrifying since they're normally not like that at all! He was getting mad at me last night, but over a Nutriberry again, he seems overall over his teenage stage. But, he has Emrys... Sometimes I'll see Caspar lift a leg on Emrys and then they argue! :o:
LOL, it's not that she's an angel, I think I've just avoided doing most of the stuff that would make Gigi mad until this sofa situation. But yesterday was so upsetting. She just went nuts, although did not bite. Then was over it in minutes. Many months ago I stopped putting hands into her cage. She used to get so mad when I cleaned poop off her boing. But I've arranged stuff in such a way that seldom happens and if it does, I wait til she is on her play gym. Complex girl. I have a plan for reclaiming my sofa lol. I'll let you know how it goes.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What I've found is that linnies almost always get along (after they establish a pecking order at the beginning). Put the new bird in a separate cage and let them play together

I believe this is true. It is rare for a budgie or Linnie not to get along with one of their own species.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK Gigi was out for 3 hours and it went well. She chortled quite a few times at the sofa spot where she wanted to burrow but no longer had an entrance because I took the cover off. Only once did she show any anger, when I cleaned poop beneath her play gym. She was on the cage, saw I was cleaning and madly flew to me while screaming. Geez. I finished before she got there and then ignored her. She happily flew to me many times and preened on my shoulder and napped on my lap. I fed her a grape and let her look at pictures on my phone. Now she chose to go back to her cage for her afternoon Nutri-berry. Whew.

I know I am hypersensitive to an angry bird. My experience with my female caique was terrifying and I never want to feel that way again.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Well Dona, your thread is right along my lines. I moved Sprite the linnie into a larger cage last weekend, and apparently that triggered something because he (she? still have to send in DNA test) has been masturbating multiple times a day, and reguritating on his foot right before bed. He did not do this at ALL in the smaller cage he came in. The happy huts are gone, but he has a Bonka fleece ring swing that's his "safe" place when he's scared and is also his sleeping spot. That ring is his primary masturbate toy, but he also does it on the new rope boing too. Again, none of this was happening in the small cage, so it's interesting what unforeseen changes some additional space can have! At what age do they become sexually mature?

-NG

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Well Dona, your thread is right along my lines. I moved Sprite the linnie into a larger cage last weekend, and apparently that triggered something because he (she? still have to send in DNA test) has been masturbating multiple times a day, and reguritating on his foot right before bed. He did not do this at ALL in the smaller cage he came in. The happy huts are gone, but he has a Bonka fleece ring swing that's his "safe" place when he's scared and is also his sleeping spot. That ring is his primary masturbate toy, but he also does it on the new rope boing too. Again, none of this was happening in the small cage, so it's interesting what unforeseen changes some additional space can have! At what age do they become sexually mature?

-NG
10 months for linnies. Or.... Birds go into hormonal behavior during mating season, which started in spring. It's worse than others for some birds. My lovebird and linnies are on 13 hours of dark right now to cool their hormones, mainly to cool my lovebird. She would bite hard for what seemed to me no reason. Turns out she thinks I'm her mate, which is not uncommon.

I've heard of some birds having a long term relationship with their boing!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well Dona, your thread is right along my lines. I moved Sprite the linnie into a larger cage last weekend, and apparently that triggered something because he (she? still have to send in DNA test) has been masturbating multiple times a day, and reguritating on his foot right before bed. He did not do this at ALL in the smaller cage he came in. The happy huts are gone, but he has a Bonka fleece ring swing that's his "safe" place when he's scared and is also his sleeping spot. That ring is his primary masturbate toy, but he also does it on the new rope boing too. Again, none of this was happening in the small cage, so it's interesting what unforeseen changes some additional space can have! At what age do they become sexually mature? -NG
Oh gosh, we need to get our randy birds together, lol. I wonder what triggered Sprite's change? In a roomy cage, just right for raising babies? Eek, you do something good and it has a negative effect. I've returned Gigi's toy to her cage. She mounts it and regurgitates on her foot too. She also fights with the toy, buzzing and clanging it around. As I dim her lights for bed, she frantically drapes it over her sleep perch, right next to her. It's right there in the morning too.

10 months for linnies. Or.... Birds go into hormonal behavior during mating season, which started in spring. It's worse than others for some birds. My lovebird and linnies are on 13 hours of dark right now to cool their hormones, mainly to cool my lovebird. She would bite hard for what seemed to me no reason. Turns out she thinks I'm her mate, which is not uncommon.

I've heard of some birds having a long term relationship with their boing!
Gigi has been much better the last 3 days. Mostly sweet. I am putting her to bed earlier. Now sleeping 8PM-7AM. I will definitely consider lengthening her night gradually.