• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good The Bad And The Ugly About Hawk-Headed Parrots

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

This is my experience with two Hawk-Headed Parrots, Yuna and Cochise. Your experience may differ, due to the fact that all birds are individuals, have different genes, are raised differently, etc.

Some good things
Hawk-headed Parrots are gorgeous, smart, and very aware. I stress the aware, for example~ if you walk in the room with even the smallest item that is new, they spy it immediately. Both Yuna and Cochise are my sentry birds. One on either end of the house. If Cochise sees anything scary, or that he does not like, he sounds a warning. Interesting is the fact that the other birds understand this warning. Yuna has the vantage of seeing the front of the house. She sounds off a shrill eee eee eee when she sees anyone coming up the walkway, or the dog going by, or daddy leaving or coming home, and other things she thinks warrants a call. Now Heartly uses her call to know to go to the back door in anticipation of daddy is home. So it has crossed to three separate creatures....birds, dog, and person. Amazing!
Both were in dire straights, and although this is a touchy subject with some, as I am not a rescue or sanctuary, I still consider that both birds needed rescuing. Cochise was kept in a deplorable situation, and Yuna was nearly dead. For this I think they are both very grateful to me. I just mention this as I do not truly know either ones past.
I think Hawk-headed parrots get a bad rap. For some reason everyone thinks they are so difficult. I can say I have two that are at each end of the spectrum. Cochise is less touchy feely, unless it is on his terms, than Yuna. Yuna can be picked up like a little bundle, and loves to be with you and be petted and loved on.
One good trait is they are capable of entertaining themselves, and do not sound off all day.
They are on the smaller size of parrots, I would call them medium.

So some bad things..hmm.
They have a terrible bite, as the beak has a little hook downward. They are extremely quick too, so if they come at your face or to bite, it can happen before you know what hit you. Now I could say with respect to Cochise that they are very wary of strangers. I think this is most common for hawk-heads. But then there is unusual Yuna, who loves everyone!
They have what I call the banshee call, it is very high pitched.
Keep in mind that baby hawk-heads in the wild play with baby caiques, if that gives you any notion of their unusual and unique personality traits. They are different in some ways.
It is said that hawk-headed adult birds are solitary, and this may be one of the reasons they seem so aware of their surroundings at all times.

There is nothing ugly that I can say. The only thing I have read or heard from many is the mate aggression. My friend has a theory about this having to do with people having success with one pair, so they get another, and that is when the original male kills his mate. I have no personal experience.
Yuna

Cochise

Last edited by a moderator:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for sharing! I enjoyed learning more about them! Matt

Crazy Bird Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dal
I agree with Carole. These birds are super aware of their surroundings and very smart. There is so much good about them it is hard to list them all. I have had Zoey since she was a baby so I know she was never mistreated. She is so loyal and we have a bond that is stronger than I have had with any other pet. She is my little soul mate :heart:
They are not without their challanges and when they are bad they are not to be reckoned with. You must learn to respect that. Zoey is not a "morning bird" so I know just to feed her and let her be until she is ready to socialize.

There is no ugly. I feel thet are one of the most beautiful and intelligent birds that one can share their life with.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
:bounce4: Wow they sound like a jungle alive with animals! They sound great… I'm in love!! :hawkhead: :hawkhead: :heart2: :swoon: :cloud9:

Juliette

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Juliette
some people have told me , maybe its better for me to get a red fan parrot instead of a mini macaw
or to get an eclectus instead of a mini macaw
and yes i do love the hawk heads !!
they seem so affectionate ! so now i am in doubt between these 3 , do your hawk heads enjoy cuddling , or scratches , etc ...
and do they like trick training ? they both seem amazing , and i have found a breeder that selss hawk heads , they really seem amazing litte birds

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have two that are very different. I know little of their backgrounds though. It would be nice to know one from a baby to an adult. Yuna loves both Troy and I. She also loves to show off after the groomers are done, and will display her happiness and chatter. Cochise is more wary towards anyone except me. They both enjoy scritches, and Yuna will cuddle.On occasion Cochise and I have what I call "a moment together" and he will allow more physical contact. Make no mistake, it is only when they want it. I wouldn't try or bother " trick training".{not fond of that term at all anyway} You might be able to elaborate on something your bird does naturally, by offering a favorite treat at the moment he/she does the behavior.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
side note: love your bird room setup! :)

miss maggi

Meeting neighbors
My little Hawk Head Como is gem! She is only 3 and so far the sweetest bird in the flock. She loves to be touched all over and is now in the habit of rolling on her back for a belly rub every night when I put her to bed.

Como does learn 'tricks' easily. Things like shake, wave, turn around etc. All this for verbal praise and kisses, no food rewards required. Como is best buds with my Grey, Cairo and will give her loud kisses on the head when I ask her to. So cute!

The only trick I would like her to learn is not to eat my electrical cords. She has cost me a fortune in wires and replacement parts for tv's and computers not to mention a toaster and a coffee maker. I am finally learning the best ways to hide these from her but this is a no cage household so we have a pretty high tolerance for destruction.

If you decide a Hawk Head is for you be prepared to supply more than the average amount of toys and destructibles for such a little bird.

Definitely what I consider the Chihuahua of parrots. Big bird in a small body. Very expensive to purchase but you get a big bang for your buck. I think she may be the most clever of my brood and that can be very good or very bad depending on your perspective.

Smart can be great but it means they're more curious, more destructive and more manipulative.

Juliette

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Juliette
My little Hawk Head Como is gem! She is only 3 and so far the sweetest bird in the flock. She loves to be touched all over and is now in the habit of rolling on her back for a belly rub every night when I put her to bed.

Como does learn 'tricks' easily. Things like shake, wave, turn around etc. All this for verbal praise and kisses, no food rewards required. Como is best buds with my Grey, Cairo and will give her loud kisses on the head when I ask her to. So cute!

The only trick I would like her to learn is not to eat my electrical cords. She has cost me a fortune in wires and replacement parts for tv's and computers not to mention a toaster and a coffee maker. I am finally learning the best ways to hide these from her but this is a no cage household so we have a pretty high tolerance for destruction.

If you decide a Hawk Head is for you be prepared to supply more than the average amount of toys and destructibles for such a little bird.

Definitely what I consider the Chihuahua of parrots. Big bird in a small body. Very expensive to purchase but you get a big bang for your buck. I think she may be the most clever of my brood and that can be very good or very bad depending on your perspective.

Smart can be great but it means they're more curious, more destructive and more manipulative.
She seems amazing haha ♡

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
love your birds

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:bump7: Any other Hawk Heads on here or more experiences? There is one in our area that may be available. We don't know much about them, but from what I read here, they sound amazing! :heart:

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

Keep in mind that baby hawk-heads in the wild play with baby caiques, if that gives you any notion of their unusual and unique personality traits. They
are different in some ways.
I've always wondered if Hawk Heads are similar to caiques. Does anyone have both or had experience with both? How do they compare? I love caiques and am wondering if I would also like HHs.