• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Celebirdy of the Month - July 2019 - Poppers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

:hearye:
:starshower1:
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:
It is with great pleasure that I announce the
Celebirdy for the month of July 2019,
@Hawk12237
Poppers

1. How did you acquire your bird?

I acquired poppers as a rescue about 8 years ago. I am currently her third parront. Her first parront apparently rehomed her at 6 months old, too much to handle they claimed. Her second parrots were very good with her and good with birds. But if the 13 Amazon's they had, poppers was the only female. Their was a lot of competition and fighting for the only female by the males. So it was decided to ( a hard decision as well for them) rehome poppers. My vet took her in and asked if I wanted her. I didn't hesitate. She was a beauty! But she was down and torn from previous owner, and took nearly 9 patient months before she accepted me.

2. What is your bird's name, species, age and sex?

Poppers original name is Sergeant Pepper.
I kept calling her that then one day she blurted out... " P- Popper" ....and " here's Poppers" ..so I began calling her poppers, and it stuck and she likes it.
Poppers is a Blue Fronted Amazon, large for her size. She is 13 years old, and female.

3. Does your bird do any special tricks?

She sings opera, Celine Dion, she'll roll up side down on her perch where she is laying upside down in my hand, and has trust I won't drop her.
She can open or push doors and climb into my sock drawer. Makes a delicious bird soup in water bowl!

4. What are some of your bird's favorite foods?

She loves her fruit, Especially apples. Loves pasta as well. And eggs, God can't keep eggs from her, she'll scream till she gets some. Loves salad. She will eat sprouts, if wet. Craves oatmeal, with a bit of fruit, and chopped walnuts for breakfast.

5. What is the funniest thing your bird has done?

Ha ha ha....where do I start? Top two things.
My wife was getting ready for work. Had this huge hand bag ( couple feet wide by a couple feet tall) well poppers likes to hide inside things. Chose her hand bag this one morning recently.
My wife grabbed her hand bag, got into car and drove off. Put her bag on front seat. Somewhere along way out pops poppers. The shock my wife must have had. My wife said she popped out into seat said " hi!!! " .. ".Ohhhh Ohhhh "...(lol) yes oh oh is right! My wife stopped, turned around and came home.
Me I hadn't a clue yet what had happened. My wife barged in in.. I thought she forgot something...she Says " Michael!!!!!! Come get your bird!!! " now me, (lol) I hadn't had my morning Joe fill yet... Brain was just rattled...and could only day " Huh!?!?!? " there was poppers in the car.
Later that day, my wife texts me " poppers owes me a new hand bag...that means you!!! She pooped in hand bag and I put my hands right in it!! It's over everything in my bag. "
Hmmm, flowers for wife...check....New back...check...dinner for two...check...have y'all with poppers.. she just went" hee hee hee"!!!
The other funny thing, well not so funny, maybe to the bird...is we had 4 cordless phones through out house( Not anymore). They have 911set on speed dial. Now what are the odds that she (poppers) can hit the button to call, then button to 911 speed dial? Two buttons!!?!
The next thing I knew was a sheriff and state police pull up in drive! Claimed someone called 911 but all they heard was screaming!
Now I'm standing there just as dumb founded as neck and hadn't the slightest idea WTF happened. So showed them my mischief bird, and all was well after.

6. How has your bird enriched your life?

Oh yea! I couldn't live without poppers in it.
I have had a total of 39 parrots in 45 years. Most rescues that I found homes for. 13 others were mine. But poppers is unique. A bond unlike any other parrot I have ever owned. The love shared is unsurpassed. She's just a wonderful bird.
Cuddles every night, shares me with Grayson.
( I'm case anyone doesn't know, I'm down to two birds now rehomed Birdell, Twinkie, and Julius to daughter recently. )

7. What would you tell people who are considering this species?
Do your homework, study up on them. They will own you, are not quiet birds, and can chew things up.
When they bond, it's love...your it's mate. They cherish together time, do not neglect that from them. You'll be sorry. Blue front Amazon's are wonderful birds and will be You best friend for life if you let them and love them as I love mine.

8. What is the activity and noise level of your bird?

It's not bad at all... She sings, chats, and sometimes screams. But screaming is her way of " where are you? ". She likes to play and hide, chew up anything paper. Since she can fly due to a bad wing when she was young, she walks everywhere, goes for car rides, sits outside on porch with me.

9. What are some of your bird's quirks?

Lol....chasing wife, telling the dog to go outside and potty, taking all toilet paper out of basket in bathroom. ( help!!!) She is possessive of bathroom, chased people out of it. Chewing up books.

10. If your bird talks, what is the most surprising word or sentence it has said?

Where we going?....I'm a good girl yes daddy?....
up up, come on come on.....yeay touch down lions!!......go outside daddy?.....can have cookie yea?....love you....night night....I like it....what is it??....bug,there's bug.... What is that?....sunshine, I like sunshine...I knoooow!!!... I dropped it....
breakfast daddy yea?....see poppers....
Some of the things she says. And of course laughs!!!

11. What is your bird’s favorite treat?

Oatmeal raised cookie ...homemade.
Or yogurt drops.

IMG_20190430_202323_burst_01.jpg IMG_20190528_154756.jpg IMG_20190424_104935.jpg IMG_20190101_220201.jpg IMG_20190304_122349_burst_01.jpg IMG_20170425_092138_burst_03.jpg

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thank you! Poppers is honored and happy to be apart of AA. She's a wonderful and loving bird.
IMG_20190701_090014.jpg IMG_20190701_085956.jpg
Herbal tea time!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness- she's completely precious. :) Congrats!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Congrats Micheal and Poppers!!

:Congratwav:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations Poppers! (And Michael ;) )

I always love reading about Poppers and seeing her pictures pop up!

:starshower1: :starshower1: :loveshower:

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats3:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:congrats5:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Congratulations! I'm so glad Poppers found her forever "Pop!"

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congrats!!!:starshower::starshower1:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:starshower1::congrats5::starshower1: Poppers and Michael! She sounds like a very special girl! :heart:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
:starshower1::congrats5::starshower1: Poppers and Michael! She sounds like a very special girl! :heart:
Thanks Roz, she's a sweety. It really is an incredible bond with her. I've had Many parrots, 39 over the years, most as rescues ....but none like her. Truly unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.