• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peppers & First Vet Visit

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all,

So I know the general rule for feeding P'lets vegetables and such is no chocolate, onions, avocado, or alcohol; but is there a limitation to spicy peppers? I've got some Carolina Reapers and some Ghost Peppers frozen and it's about time to add something interesting to Paulie's daily chop. Hubby is concerned that those peppers are far too hot, after cutting the stem off one of them and smelling the heat I can understand the concern. So what's the verdict here?

Also, Paulie has his first vet visit in about two hours. :D I'm curious if there are any questions that would be good for a new P'let mommy to ask. Any recommendations?

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hey all,

So I know the general rule for feeding P'lets vegetables and such is no chocolate, onions, avocado, or alcohol; but is there a limitation to spicy peppers? I've got some Carolina Reapers and some Ghost Peppers frozen and it's about time to add something interesting to Paulie's daily chop. Hubby is concerned that those peppers are far too hot, after cutting the stem off one of them and smelling the heat I can understand the concern. So what's the verdict here?

Also, Paulie has his first vet visit in about two hours. :D I'm curious if there are any questions that would be good for a new P'let mommy to ask. Any recommendations?
ask him/her about the peppers :D and you could also ask if he/she ever heard about Harrisson's pellets causing build-ups in p'lets. Although I'm gonna ask that to mine next time I'm there, it's always good to have several opinions ;)
I also read something about not giving cheese or any dairy products to birds. Twitter loved both.. :cautious:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think I'd feed those peppers just because they are so hot. More of just a safe handling issue than a digestive issue. I think my concern would be more along the lines of the peppers possibly burning the skin or eyes. Aren't ghost peppers crazy hot? That's just my thought- not based on anything I've actually seen or read. I hope your vet visit goes well!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@Gribouille
I'll call him tomorrow and ask him about the pellets. ;) I didn't think to ask because I don't feed Paulie pellets.

@sunnysmom
His visit went well. :heart: They were so impressed by my little Paulie... Honestly, I was too. He didn't peep nor chirp, squirm or bite, even when they were trimming his nails. :cool: The vet actually thanked me for all the hands on work we do with Paulie.

He seems knowledgeable about Avian care, but I think Paulie might have been his first P'let so I'm very grateful for the depth of information I can find in this forum and through independent research. I may try to find someone more specialized but that's proving to be pretty difficult in my neck of the woods... Most people around here don't have "exotic" animals. In any case, it's great to know Paulie is doing well developmentally and physically.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Birds have no reaction to capsaicin. This is the chemical humans react to. You can feed Paulie all the chillies he wants. He will eat the seeds :) super yummy.

Pi loves ghost peppers. If we couldn't taste the capsaicin they would probably be pretty sweet.

Birds are awesome!!! Little dragons.
:fidmagic:

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think Paulie might have been his first P'let Most people around here don't have "exotic" animals.
Where did you find him? There should be more where he comes from :)

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@fashionfobie
So do you think he could also consume the Carolina Reapers? I think they're supposed to be hotter than the Ghost Peppers.
Also, how much do you give Pi? These peppers I've got are small but the spiciness definitely assaults our sense of smell so I know these are the real deal. I want to be sure not to give him a "toxic" amount.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@PacificPaulie parrots aren't going to get a toxic amount. Capsaicin is literally mammal repellent. Humans are the weird ones who eat it anyway. It makes your mouth feel as though it is on fire and we love the experience. Other mammals would stay away. Parrots can eat any chili. Birds help spread their seeds. It is just a natural evolution.

Pi ate ghost pepper when I was prepping dinner. He is like little side kick! He gobbled it right up. He like sampling all the veggies mum is prepping :)

The issue with feeding high content capsaicin chilies to Paulie is not related to him, but if he did get it on his beak and then cleaned his beak off on your arm..you could experience great discomfort.

I wouldn't go out of my way to feed the hottest and spiciest chilies on earth, because you also need to be prepared to have the smeared on your face.

Paulie is still capsaicin immune. :) Because he is a magical little arid bird!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@PacificPaulie
Oh yeah feeding chillies can be a big danger......Burt ate a heap of real hot chillies then an hour later kissed me! Argh my face was on fire then I realised it was all over me because of course Burt had been holding it with his cute little feet which then walked all up and down my arm.
The main danger of our birds consuming HOT chilies is to us lol.
Let your feather baby enjoy all the hot pepper they want :)