• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I know if Paco is getting enough to eat?

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have tried everything. When I first got him he was really good with veggies. Now he turns his nose up at everything. I've chopped, grated, sliced. I'm wasting my money.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe seed sprouting would work out better for you. I started supplementing Buddy's diet w/ it. He loves them & it's saving us $ on some of the fresh.

You do know they eat about 1/3-2/3 rds of what we feed them normally. I've read a birds main job is to feed & grow things below them. I agree w/ @BertAllen , he's probably getting something out of what your giving. But it sounds like also he's not really hungry or is looking for something new. What about making the veggies chopped up & adding some oregano, rosemary, dill or some basil. Sometimes spices help. I've researched these & they're safe for birds. You should verify that before feeding. What about veggies in scrambled eggs? I wouldn't do it every day, Buddy gets s. egg about 2 meals a week.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen, I don't have a way to weigh him right now. He will step up but has chomped me twice on the arm so we haven't worked on that yet. He is learning to get into his cage when I say bye bye. Less more often? Like small servings of veggies 3 times a day? I hope to be back to work soon so I won't be able to do that during the day.

@Rain Bow, I will try herbs, I grow my own. I didn't know they were safe. I tried sprouting lentils, didn't work, then chick peas and then I read that you shouldn't feed them chick peas. Lots of conflicting information on parrot diet on the net. I give him one boiled egg a week, not every week and he just loves them. I haven't done scrambled eggs, what oil is safe to use to cook them in?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@BertAllen, I don't have a way to weigh him right now. He will step up but has chomped me twice on the arm so we haven't worked on that yet. He is learning to get into his cage when I say bye bye. Less more often? Like small servings of veggies 3 times a day? I hope to be back to work soon so I won't be able to do that during the day.

@Rain Bow, I will try herbs, I grow my own. I didn't know they were safe. I tried sprouting lentils, didn't work, then chick peas and then I read that you shouldn't feed them chick peas. Lots of conflicting information on parrot diet on the net. I give him one boiled egg a week, not every week and he just loves them. I haven't done scrambled eggs, what oil is safe to use to cook them in?

I use original Pam. Vet said it's Ok to use, just keep it away from birdys lungs. Aerosol is not good to use close by them. A

Herbs... There's a safe list I just found on site. There's an issue w/ cinnamon, it's supposed to be Ceylon... I don't know much about this one. Herbs a relatively new for me too! The ones I listed I've done a bunch of reading on.

This comes from the feathered food court forum area...
Herbs and spices benefits for your parrots... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I think he maybe getting a little bored w/ completely raw, have you tried different types of grains? I know @Hawk12237 does a bunch of cooked for his birds & has a grey. He maybe able to add to this once he's back from his mini vacation.

W/ Buddy we do different types of Pasta's. I use pieces of egg noodles as treats 1 whole noodle a day (we're learning to not yell when Mommy says she'll be right back) hence pieces...

We eat different kinds of corn pasta & rice pasta, even a mixed batch of pastas (rice, tapioca & potato pasta). (I'm gluten free so very little wheat pasta in the house)

I recently bought a beet pasta, but Buddy doesn't like it raw & I can't make a bunch & eat it w/ sauce because of my stomach. I mix different veggies w/ the pasta for him, but w/ not knowing a greys diet, I'm not sure if you can do any of them besides the veggie ones. (Beet, spinach, califlower? Not sure about last one). Made by Cybele's

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I tried brown rice and veggie pasta, not happening. I did notice that he seems afraid of the stainless steel bowels. His previous owner had a white one I think and he never got anything other then Hartz parrot seed. He is afraid the the corn on the cob but if I cut it in small pieces he will nibble. I did catch him eating a cooked green bean (frozen, warmed up, no salt) Yesterday I stood in front of his cage and ate some "goodies" in front of him and he did try the corn again. He does nibble more on broccoli if I chop it smaller. I think it's just going to be a matter of time and patience. I have to remember that veggies are new to him and so his whole world right now. I let him out all day while I am home. He is exploring more, checking out his surroundings. We are working on (going bye bye, get in your cage) a reward with a small almond and "good boy" he is responding. After a two good chomps on the arm, I stopped asking him to "step up" we can go back to that later. It is so sad to see such an intelligent creature afraid of his world. I hope in time, with patience and love he will relax and live a long happy life. Boy is he a sucker for hard boiled eggs! I give him one every two weeks. It has been quite a journey so far and I am greatly appreciative of everyone's support and advice.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Way to go! One step at a time!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks Clueless, sometimes I just feel so bad for him when he trembles when I'm near him. This group keeps me going.
No, he keeps you going... and that's a good thing.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, he keeps you going... and that's a good thing.
Yep, I agree!

If his owner had a white bowl, what about something like this? If I remember correctly they're heavier at the base & should hold up.

Amazon.com: CorningWare French White 4-Ounce Ramekins, Set of 4: Bake Bowl: Kitchen & Dining

@rockoko What is that stand Sunny has in his cage? It may work for the ramekin to sit atop. What do you think?

Ok, I know all us birdy people are a little :wacky: crazy. This is gonna sound gross, but Buddy likes me to show him "new" foods chewed up in my mouth, & then again after I swallow. "new" includes a food that he has seen in a bit, like an outta season, or something that's been a month or so since we had it last. Grossssss o_O but effective. :joyful:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yep, I agree!

If his owner had a white bowl, what about something like this? If I remember correctly they're heavier at the base & should hold up.

Amazon.com: CorningWare French White 4-Ounce Ramekins, Set of 4: Bake Bowl: Kitchen & Dining

@rockoko What is that stand Sunny has in his cage? It may work for the ramekin to sit atop. What do you think?

Ok, I know all us birdy people are a little :wacky: crazy. This is gonna sound gross, but Buddy likes me to show him "new" foods chewed up in my mouth, & then again after I swallow. "new" includes a food that he has seen in a bit, like an outta season, or something that's been a month or so since we had it last. Grossssss o_O but effective. :joyful:

Nothing wrong with that.... I do that too...
Blaaaaaaa......see that chopped up chewed up yum yum??? Now you try I tell them....

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I wonder if those white bowls will fit in the metal rings I already have for the stainless steel bowls. I think he is just wary of the fruit and veggies since he was never fed them on a daily basis. He has no problem eating the nutri berries out of the bowl.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wonder if those white bowls will fit in the metal rings I already have for the stainless steel bowls. I think he is just wary of the fruit and veggies since he was never fed them on a daily basis. He has no problem eating the nutri berries out of the bowl.
I put chop in smaller bowls and sit it inside the regular bowls in the cage

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Well duh huh, how silly do you think I feel? LOL I was thinking about putting something in the bowl to lift the bottom. I notice my Amazon even though she was with me a long time did not like to stick her head down deep into the bowls. My thought is they are fearful since they can't see "predators" when eating in a deep bowl.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well duh huh, how silly do you think I feel? LOL I was thinking about putting something in the bowl to lift the bottom. I notice my Amazon even though she was with me a long time did not like to stick her head down deep into the bowls. My thought is they are fearful since they can't see "predators" when eating in a deep bowl.
MC used to talk when his head was down in his bowl and it would echo.

They grab and lift their food anyway.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I had a bell that was upside down on the top of a cage one time, I had a male cockatiel that would love to whistle and screech in it. Better acoustics I guess! LOL

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put chop in smaller bowls and sit it inside the regular bowls in the cage
I don't think I could persuade :bored: Buddy :cautious: on this... But dang my friend what a great idea! :rolleyes:

@Rain Bow I think you mean this dish I use for Sunny so his food is spread out flat???

Amazon.com : Lixit Corporation BLX0787 Quick Lock Bird Bath : Pet Baths : Pet Supplies
Yes, every time I see it I think of a cake stand just for Sunny. He has to have a party every day to stay that shiny & bright! Thank you!

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well it's been a month now so I suppose he must be eating. Did you eve get a chance to weigh him?