• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe the shirt just set her off and she is upset at you for wearing it? Maybe she wants something special to eat? So hard to figure them out sometimes. Can you put a few sunflower seeds in her cage so she will go back inside?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Maybe the shirt just set her off and she is upset at you for wearing it? Maybe she wants something special to eat? So hard to figure them out sometimes. Can you put a few sunflower seeds in her cage so she will go back inside?
Great idea....let me try.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She has come out of her shell! I remember that little scared girl in the dark cage. :( But I get it, shh and let me take a walk already!

I'm doing great and so is Gigi. She's my favorite sweet and sassy girl. It's a beautiful day in Maryland but I'm stuck at home, waiting for the plumber to come to fix the kitchen faucet.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Great idea....let me try.
That worked. She is back in her cage, and not too happy about it.

Wow, a crazy afternoon with Mango. I am going to get out of here for a while and grab a bite to eat and enjoy some quiet!!

Thanks, @iamwhoiam !!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She has come out of her shell! I remember that little scared girl in the dark cage. :( But I get it, shh and let me take a walk already!

I'm doing great and so is Gigi. She's my favorite sweet and sassy girl. It's a beautiful day in Maryland but I'm stuck at home, waiting for the plumber to come to fix the kitchen faucet.
Yes, beautiful day here in Ohio as well (FINALLY!!!!!!!)

Glad you and Gigi are doing well. Best of luck with the plumber. No fun!!!!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Could she be associating the white shirt with you going out and leaving her alone? Wouldn't be unfeasible that she now thinks the grey t-shirt is a trick after seeing the white collar earlier and you have the white shirt fully hidden underneath?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Could she be associating the white shirt with you going out and leaving her alone? Wouldn't be unfeasible that she now thinks the grey t-shirt is a trick after seeing the white collar earlier and you have the white shirt fully hidden underneath?
A line of thinking like that would not surprise me. She seems extremely smart. I think I am just going to avoid wearing white shirts around her. It may also have something to do with things that her breeder might have done.

Now she is sitting in her cage looking all sad like a little kid who was sent to their room, and I am feeling guilty.

Oh well....break time for me!!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she went back in her cage. Hope you have a nice day out.
She is definitely very smart!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am actually a little worried about Mango. I just got home, and as soon as she saw me she went to her "nesting" spot and started doing her wing flutter while making her mating noise. She is doing this intensely. She looks distressed. When I approach the cage, she comes over to me while doing a dance, fluffing her feathers, making her mating noise, etc. I hope she is ok.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
She is doing the same thing Cosmo used to do. She is rubbing her vent on her toys and making her mating sound. My being present seems to make it worse. She is trying to get as close to me as she can get while in her cage.

I am nervous because I don't want to go through another egg-binding episode.

No more seeds and high-fat foods for her. How do I communicate to her that we are just friends????

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Eek Craig. So you will adjust diet. Can you also adjust the light timing?

I don't have any personal experience with hormonal/nesty behavior. I don't think any of my birds ever considered me a mate.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just monitor her. Consider changing things around in the cage, removing toys that she rubs on and moving any nesting spots. Are you still covering her or has the cover come off?
Do not interact with her when she is doing the hormonal "stuff".

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you don’t mind, but I told her that it was your idea to trick her into going back into her cage. Hehe!!!!
Oh No. I don't want her to hate me. :(
No more scritches from you for Spee. :D Just kidding.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Eek Craig. So you will adjust diet. Can you also adjust the light timing?

I don't have any personal experience with hormonal/nesty behavior. I don't think any of my birds ever considered me a mate.
I can definitely adjust her diet. NO MORE SUNFLOWER SEEDS. Sunflower seeds made Cosmo's nesting behavior much, much worse and they are apparently doing the same for Mango. I was just using them as a way to help us bond. But, no more!

If you could see her right now, it is pitiful. She is as close as she can get to me, rubbing her vent, fluttering her wings, and making her noises.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Just monitor her. Consider changing things around in the cage, removing toys that she rubs on and moving any nesting spots. Are you still covering her or has the cover come off?
Do not interact with her when she is doing the hormonal "stuff".
OK, I will leave her alone. I am going to turn out the lights and go into another room. Poor Mango. She looks miserable.

I keep 6" of the cage covered all the time. Bad idea?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK, I will leave her alone. I am going to turn out the lights and go into another room. Poor Mango. She looks miserable.

I keep 6" of the cage covered all the time. Bad idea?

Do you think she still needs to be covered? She'll get over you leaving her be. How often does she watch the conure videos?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Do you think she still needs to be covered? She'll get over you leaving her be. How often does she watch the conure videos?
Having that covered portion of the cage seems to be something that she likes. She spends most of her time during the day in the uncovered section of the cage, but definitely runs under the covered section when she wants to feel secure. She also does a lot of chewing of the wooden perches under the covered section, which means that she might think of it as a nesting spot.

The only time that I show her the conure videos is when I use them to lure her back to the cage. Otherwise, I don't show them to her because I think it just causes her stress. She loves the birds in those videos so much and tries desperately to touch them.

I am still worried about her. I have never seen a bird act like this before. I have no idea if it is normal. She was behaving the same way this morning, and when I got home from work. She clings to the side of the cage closest to me, yelling, whistling and making clicking sounds. She also continues to flutter her wings while rubbing her vent. Otherwise, she looks very normal, she is very active, she is eating and her droppings look normal.

:(

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She sees you as a mate. I agree with removing the sunflower seeds and possibly any safflower seeds for now. Also more veggies, remove the seed from the cage for a few hours if you have to.
You need to force more dark hours on her, I suggest 13hrs a day and see how it goes. It'll take a couple of weeks to break this.