• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pellets

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Yep, I think the birdie bread is the only thing left to try ;)

I was just checking them out, there’s a ton of useful info on there, and they’re based in PA like me. Hopefully that means shipping won’t cost an arm and a leg lol I’m not really looking for food since I finally found one that they (and me!) like...but they’re toys and training vids look good, and I need all the help I can get.
I live on Maui shipping anything here is usually and arm and a leg. Oh and your first born. Birdtrick.com was 9.00 for 4 lbs. to ship here.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Got a little pissed yesterday, I studied the Harrisson, it says it is for parrotlets too.. :shifty: So either it is not what killed Twitter, and he had managed to get himself some other toxin but I really can't see what that could be, or he had a disease I didn't know about that could kill him over night, or I could sue Harrisson for saying their pellets are meant for parrotlets but kills them. Anyway, there is no way I'll have them in the house again with a p'let around..

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Got a little pissed yesterday, I studied the Harrisson, it says it is for parrotlets too.. :shifty: So either it is not what killed Twitter, and he had managed to get himself some other toxin but I really can't see what that could be, or he had a disease I didn't know about that could kill him over night, or I could sue Harrisson for saying their pellets are meant for parrotlets but kills them. Anyway, there is no way I'll have them in the house again with a p'let around..

Did you have a necropsy done to see what the cause of death was?
It sounds unlikely that pellets killed him unless they were not from the manufacturer, we´re not stored correctly or expired.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Did you have a necropsy done to see what the cause of death was?
It sounds unlikely that pellets killed him unless they were not from the manufacturer, we´re not stored correctly or expired.
I didn't but I was told later on that Harrisson has too much protein for parrotlets and can lead to build-ups and organ failure.
The vet said he was thin and probably the body wasn't taking up the water well enough so he didn't get his nutrients in his system

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Crap! I figured as much. I can’t believe it’s so tough to get good food there :(
And yep, they are constantly refusing the Zupreem pellets- today I tried sprinkling some in with veggies and got the same result lol.

Oooh I have not thought to try sprinkling their Zupreem in with their veggies. Hmmm... since the veggies have lots of moisture content, maybe it would help soften the pellets too, in case my little royal rascals would prefer them moistened!
:heart::lol:

Awwww poor Twitter @Gribouille - I can imagine the heartbreak. :sadhug2:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So I've received my Hagen seeds mix and in the package was a booklet with all the products Northern Parrots sell. Although they didn't have all of them on their website, it seems that they have both Tops and Torpican and many others. So now I have a whole list of items to purchase :rolleyes:
Since I just got a seed mix, I think I'll go for the Tops pellets for now, but then come the nutriberries. I see it's a big thing here but I've never used them. Will budgies and parrotlets eat them? I also remember someone saying they baked them home, how do you do that? :hellskitchen:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Well that’s good news- you have more options :)
I’ve given my birds nutriberries (and Avi-Cakes) and they do eat them but only if I crumble them. I either crumble one up and hand feed as a treat or just crumble over the food bowl for foraging and variety.
I’ve read that many birds just pick out the seeds and leave the pellets though. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of them, but mine eat all the crumbled bits, could be because they already eat pellets. Who knows really lol
I’m also interested in baking them at home though, that would be even better!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I’ve read that many birds just pick out the seeds and leave the pellets though. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of them, but mine eat all the crumbled bits, could be because they already eat pellets. Who knows really lol
Mine get pellets for breakfast, and seeds as a snacks at tea time :coffee:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oooops....! :unsure1:
I MIGHT have been a little :excited1::excited1::excited1: by this booklet and inadvertently :ebay1::merlieshops::shop2:... A BIT... :shocked2: :leslieatwork:

Sounds familiar?! :hehe:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Aaaahhh yes lol I can only imagine it’s even worse for you because you didn’t have options before...just think of it as you needed to try different things to see what they like -hopefully they like it all ;)

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
I’ve been feeding my bird TOPS pellets, previously on roudybush but tops has less fillers and such in it, TOPS is sugar/dye/preservative/filler free, natural ingredients and organic which most other pellets seem to have. She took to them immediately and seems to like them more than the roudybush. On their website they come in extra small size pellets for things like budgies too. (Not sure of he shipping situation outside the US)

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Aaaahhh yes lol I can only imagine it’s even worse for you because you didn’t have options before...just think of it as you needed to try different things to see what they like -hopefully they like it all ;)
I only took the yummy things :laughin: But you are right, online shopping for birds wasn't really an option before, only on ebay (so not for food) and then I ended up making the toys myself (although I ordered and just received a harness for parrotlets, it's so small! The cutest thing I've seen!!!). We also have a toll limit which reduces my possibilities if I don't want to pay twice the price in toll, taxes and extra fees. So I had to remove articles from my order to stay under the £30 limit. Then I couldn't let those 2 articles alone on the wait line, I placed a secondtwo orders :pinkgrin:

I’ve been feeding my bird TOPS pellets, previously on roudybush but tops has less fillers and such in it, TOPS is sugar/dye/preservative/filler free, natural ingredients and organic which most other pellets seem to have. She took to them immediately and seems to like them more than the roudybush. On their website they come in extra small size pellets for things like budgies too. (Not sure of he shipping situation outside the US)
The Tops pellets were the first on the list! Ordered them now :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
By the way, I DIDN'T buy nutriberries since I think they were awfully expensive :angel2: and I don't even know if my birds will eat them, but see what I found!!! :excited2:
Flock Talk DIY nutriberries !! :bounce8:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:) My first "batch" of nutriberries!! :dancing:

Boy! I used coconut instead of chilipeppers, those things are so good, I'm not sure the birds will get to taste that many of them!! :eat:

20190625_235847.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hehe, I used to make a similar thing but for me! With added Macca powder and of course cocoa they were extra yummy and full of goodness.....perfect little treat to keep you satisfied till dinner time.
Try altering the recipe a little for yourself with more things you like then you’ll have a bird version and a people version:)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think we care share, I love it as it is, and if we end up eating them all, it just means I'll have to make new ones so the birds will keep getting fresh ones. :angelic: win-win! :D But maybe I'll vary the size and shape ;)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I used Harrison's for years with my parrotlet. It was his main staple. Lifetime fine, he lived to be 2 mos shy of turning 16. Unless your bird was a mutation?

He also ate egg food, fresh chopped up veggies and loved strawberries.

He was NOT a mutation, a normal green Pacific. I believe in Harrison's and think it is one of the best diets out there. :)