• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
After clipping Dexter’s wings after fledging, I educated myself further and realized clipping was a big mistake. Dexter slowly regrew his feathers, but continued to walk everywhere. I began encouraging him to fly, making a big deal out of anything, even the little 1 foot jumps.

Progress is going good! At 26 months old, I’m proud to announce that, not only can dex fly, but he will fly before he walks. And not only that! He will fly to me if I ask him, but only of course if my avian overlord sees fit ;).

Please ignore the massive clothes pile, dexter likes to go through my hamper!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So happy for you both! ♥
You will see that his self-confidence increases because IMO, flying birds are more calm/balanced, more confidence and more happier.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
That is such excellent news, I am so happy for you both :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s awesome!
He looks stunning flying through the air :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Way to go, Dex! :thumbsup:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Here’s part two! He flies about 8 feet further, spanning my 30 foot room! He also sticks the landing! And please excuse the mess, tomorrow is room cleaning day!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Excellent!

Dex really does stick the his landings well...Buddy still barrel rolls a landing or two once in awhile...especially if she lands on the hardwood floor...;)

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Excellent!

Dex really does stick the his landings well...Buddy still barrel rolls a landing or two once in awhile...especially if she lands on the hardwood floor...;)
Yesterday, while we were practicing, he did at one point crash into my arm :rolleyes: he grabbed my shirt with his beak and climbed right on up!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yesterday, while we were practicing, he did at one point crash into my arm :rolleyes: he grabbed my shirt with his beak and climbed right on up!
May I give you an advice?
If that happens again just do what you did and don't help him. When he climbs up by himself and you praise him he thinks it's normal.
That will help him a lot now in the beginning.

Some people thinks they are kind helping them beacuse they don't understand that they only will feel more helpless if they can't manage things on their own.

I can see how proud Dexter is and when you praise him he probably thinks he is in heaven. ❤

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
May I give you an advice?
If that happens again just do what you did and don't help him. When he climbs up by himself and you praise him he thinks it's normal.
That will help him a lot now in the beginning.

Some people thinks they are kind helping them beacuse they don't understand that they only will feel more helpless if they can't manage things on their own.

I can see how proud Dexter is and when you praise him he probably thinks he is in heaven. ❤
Dex is too picky for treats, so I am sure to get super excited any time he flies to me or generally does something good!