• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for an older macaw

Kayla89

Meeting neighbors
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone new of any sweet, older macaws in the Houston area looking for a great home? I’ve been looking around for a few months, and I am having trouble finding one that would be a good fit for me (I am new to macaws but not to parrots). TIA.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When I got my Hank, I was looking for an older macaw (I'm no spring chicken). Hank was the oldest I could find in the PX. area and he was only 18, but what a treasure. He died seven years ago at 34 yo and my heart still hurts.

You are very wise to look for an older bird.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I don't know where they are located but @SherLar and @Hawk12237 have mentioned a 20 year old male blue and gold and a 16 year old female military macaw respectively.
Older macaws are the best, good luck in your search! :) I brought my Sam Axe home at (estimated) 20ish years old.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are there any rescues near you? Sadly, there are usually a lot of macaws in need of homes at rescues.

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
Last edited:

Kayla89

Meeting neighbors
Are there any rescues near you? Sadly, there are usually a lot of macaws in need of homes at rescues.
I found one in the Houston area. I emailed them and let them know I ideally wanted an older bird and asked if it would be okay for me to fill out an application now, even though they didn’t currently have any birds I was interested in, so if/when they do get one I’d like to meet, Ive already started the application/interview process.

Unfortunately, they weren’t the friendliest. I explained what I was looking for and why I wanted an older bird and that I thought a rescue might be a good option for me, and they essentially told me to reevaluate why I want a bird and that I should probably look for a bird from a breeder. They became a bit stand offish bc I asked if they allow multiple visits with a bird before you decide if it’s a good fit and bring them home. They said they don’t really do that bc they are foster based in people’s homes, so it’s hard to have more than one visit.

Needless to say, I was SHOCKED. Even the specialty bird stores in Houston encourage multiple visits to get to know a bird, especially if you’re getting an “older” bird, before you bring them home.

Honestly I’ve never had a good experience with rescue organizations of any kind ‍♀ When I was looking for a cat a few years ago, a rescue turned me down on a Persian I wanted to adopt after I filled out a 8 page form and let them call my vets before I was even allowed to meet the cat. Whelp, I went to a breeder and “adopted” one of her retired cats that was 10 years old for $200. Turns out she was pregnant and no one knew (not even my vet) until she went into labor since there was only one kitten in her. After a month in and out of ICU at the vet and emergency surgery and a case of mastitis and a $6000 vet bill I now have a very expensive rescue Persian and her baby Just goes to show rescues should be more open minded before telling people “they aren’t good enough” Sorry that was a bit of a rant rofl. I just really wish rescues weren’t so judgemental sometimes.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We searched for over a year before we found the right bird for my husband. I was surprised how hard it was to get any information from the rescues we contacted, even after filing out their forms. The one we were most interested in proved impossible to arrange to visit despite its having a good reputation with several of the members here. It was very frustrating after several emails (days between each), submitting our application, confirming they had received it, to follow up yet again when we hadn't heard from them in a week only to be greeted and sent an application like we were new people. :( The lack of organization was so frustrating, especially considering the depth of information we'd sent.

Once again we resorted to posting an ad on Craigslist explaining what we were looking for and why (pretty much any bird that preferred men) and spent months sifting through the scammers. Eventually we were contacted by a nice couple looking to rehome their cockatoo. It was agonizing getting our hopes up with each response only to realize it's either a scam or just not the right bird, and even harder not to adopt all of them, but it was worth it in the end.

If you're patient, Craigslist isn't a bad place to try. :) We've had 5 birds come to us through CL.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think it's unfortunate that a lot of rescues operate this way. Many don't seem to want to place birds at all. If that's the case, they should identify as sanctuaries instead. IME, the screening process is ridiculous and greatly limits the number of potential adopters. I understand that they need to vet potential adopters. However, when you make the process too difficult or are too picky, people turn to easier avenues, like breeders and pet shops. I was turned down by a rescue once, and I think I provide a good home for my parrots. I learned from others that they had NEVER adopted out a macaw and drew the conclusion that they wouldn't once they "rescued" them. Why have them on Petfinder then? So they can claim to be a rescue.

That's why I SMH when members here suggest a rescue, which they invariably do. For a lot of people, it's not a realistic option due to the rescue's practices, unfortunately.

Kayla89

Meeting neighbors
So I met a macaw yesterday that actually LIKES me lol! I went to look at a blue throat baby yesterday, and while I was there I asked if they could bring their scarlet out (I have no interest in a scarlet but figured I could get some more practice interacting with macaws since it was quite a long drive to meet the baby blue throat).

Long story short, a 1.5 - 2 year old Scarlet macaw with a history of biting and picking feathers has “picked” me smh. Needless to say I have plenty of mixed emotions about this. The rational part of my brain is telling me that it is not wise to jump into macaws with the most notorious species when I have limited experience. I also am not comfortable with the store’s terms of sale and how they want to do business with me.

Tbh I have never heard anything positive about scarlets lmao. Is there anyone here that lives with one that can give me some first hand insight?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I also am not comfortable with the store’s terms of sale and how they want to do business with me.
You have to be comfortable with the terms first and foremost as you will be living with this bird for a long time to come. As for scarlet macaws, @Macawnutz and @Bokkapooh have beautiful scarlets. You should be able to find several treads from both on their macaws. Also, there are a few members' experiences in this thread: The good, the bad, and the ugly about Large Macaws | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum .

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
So I met a macaw yesterday that actually LIKES me lol! I went to look at a blue throat baby yesterday, and while I was there I asked if they could bring their scarlet out (I have no interest in a scarlet but figured I could get some more practice interacting with macaws since it was quite a long drive to meet the baby blue throat).

Long story short, a 1.5 - 2 year old Scarlet macaw with a history of biting and picking feathers has “picked” me smh. Needless to say I have plenty of mixed emotions about this. The rational part of my brain is telling me that it is not wise to jump into macaws with the most notorious species when I have limited experience. I also am not comfortable with the store’s terms of sale and how they want to do business with me.

Tbh I have never heard anything positive about scarlets lmao. Is there anyone here that lives with one that can give me some first hand insight?

I LOVE my Scarlet, I hate the reputation that they are claimed to have. My boy picked me and we’ve had nothing but good times. Scarlets are amazing. :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry you had a tough time with the rescue. I volunteer at one. And we would be thrilled with someone looking for an older bird.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
@BeanieofJustice How long have you had your scarlet?

Five years this October, I’ve known Sam Axe for six years though as he was my first bird I took extra time because of all of those rumors about scarlets. None of which proved to be true. He’s actually never full on bit me, worst he’s done is grabbed on trying to keep his balance.

Best guess is that he was hatched in 1993, my vet says he could be anywhere from 20 - 40.

Granted, I don’t have as many years of experience as many of the people on here but, scarlets are as good as any other large macaw. He picked me as his person and I couldn’t ask for a better companion.

0D826DEC-A0DE-41F3-863E-9390287412B0.jpeg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
@BeanieofJustice Totally off topic, but how the heck do you manage to wear earbuds around a bird?? :jawdrop: I see folks on here that paint their nails, wear jewelry & change their hair and that impresses me, but earbuds? That's a whole new level.
:jillone:

:hilarious: Yeah. No idea why but Sam never bothers with them or jewelry. If I decide to start wearing balsa and stainless steel that could change.