• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

6 lovebirds, 1 hoarder, 2 survivors

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That´s great that Asha has stopped making a B-line for the nesting box.

I would hold off introducing them to a hormonal hen until she´s not.

A new cage will be exciting for them, I´d love to see their new setup once you have it :)

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
A heartbreaking story. But great to read how considered everyone is in this community.
I love the names. And I hope you'll keep us up to date on their progress!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
This thread has really demonstrated the ugly side of Craigslist. I wanted to share something I saw on Craigslist today that touched my heart and reminded me that the world is full of wonderful people :heart:

DD4EE96C-F44E-4AB9-82C2-04F02CF5EFDF.png

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Such a caring and kind person! :)

Maybe you could message them to tell them they are awesome and thankyou? And also, advise about parrotalert.com The owners could have logged the lost bird there ❤

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little bird - I'm glad that they found someone who got them to a vet! And I'm not surprised in the slightest that you messaged them in support :)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've been avoiding this thread because I've been feeling too emotional, and even the good, heart-warming things make me tear up! :heart: The thought of people "selling" their pets on Craigslist disgusts me, but I see how it can be beneficial now, in the case of this lost birdie.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Oh my reading that just hurt my heart. I am sorry to hear about what happened. Poor babies. At least they experienced some love and kindness before they passed away.

They are in heaven <3

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but I see how it can be beneficial now, in the case of this lost birdie
Yea totally.
Someone will be looking for this bird. S/he´s not even 6 months old, and craiglist and facebook etc are great ways of spreading info.
I really hope that this bird will be reunited with his/her family!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I've been feeling too emotional
I can empathize there ;) I think I have two modes: emotional and too emotional maybe three lol sleep mode doesn’t really work. In good hands Craigslist is a wonderful tool for helping animals and their people :heart::heart:

I really hope that this bird will be reunited with his/her family!
I hope so too! At least s/he’s in very good hands until then :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
At least they experienced some love and kindness before they passed away.

They are in heaven <3
Thank you! I like to think that they’re all flying in one big blue flock with two bright green little lovies playing together and meeting their extended family ❤ I bet my Pablito is thrilled to have other lovebirds to flock with!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Update!

I got their a&e flight cage and transferred them into it with no nest box and a nice blanket over the back but there was a problem I should have seen coming - no food doors! Asha HATED it and went into a full panic whenever I had to feed/water or pull toys and perches for cleaning and rotation. I was very afraid she’d hurt herself again so I moved them back into a smaller cage without the nest box. But somehow a damage had been done. Posha (DNA’d female!) was doing very well and really coming along but Asha was deteriorating. She started plucking and then fighting with Posha. I didn’t know what to do but what I was doing wasn’t working.

Around this time as I was thinking I was just failing them both miserably, a friend and neighbor of mine (Addy) who had two PFLs contacted me very upset because she’d discovered her two “girls” had had a chick and two eggs! She’d not had birds before and thought all birds need a nest box to sleep in. To her credit, this chick is the quietest lovebird I have ever known so was large and quite feathered by the time s/he was discovered. Addy wanted exactly and only two lovebirds and wanted girls, my girls needed help and so did her lovebirds. I asked if she wouldn’t mind conducting an experiment with me, I’d take her family and she’d take my Asha and Posha.

I wanted to know if Asha would be happier in a household without other birds. Maybe being in that crowded aviary she grew up in traumatized her in a way I couldn’t heal with my flock around. I told her about the blanket and not to ever use a nest box. I explained Asha was skittish and would need time to come around, the nest box would only worsen her fear. Addy was happy to help them and to have someone take over the unexpected male and chick fiasco!

I want to say I hated to let them go, but Asha stopped plucking! She stopped fighting Posha completely and actually lets Addy stick her hands in the cage without disintegrating into a flurry of panic! Maybe she likes Addy more haha but maybe it was the dog, the birds, the noise and bustle of my house that Addy doesn’t have or want. I am positive that entering a calm and quiet house with a very sweet retired mom who wants and loves them exactly as they are made all the difference in the world. Before I moved I asked Addy if she would keep them and she cried she was so happy, and a little afraid I would take them back now that Asha has improved. I know a family when I see it and they have so clearly become one. I’m thrilled! Not only are her girls loved, they are so happy with Addy! I know they are home, with their mom, exactly where they are supposed to be. I would love to visit them, but I want to give them time first, just in case Asha associates me with any trauma that echoed from her past into her time with me. Obviously it doesn’t hurt that I inherited a family of lovies in need too, but this is a happy ending that for a moment, I feared I wouldn’t see.

Two survivors indeed! I am so proud of them!! :xflove::heart::heart:

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You did the right thing even though it hurts a bit, good job and all critters are happy now.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Update!

I got their a&e flight cage and transferred them into it with no nest box and a nice blanket over the back but there was a problem I should have seen coming - no food doors! Asha HATED it and went into a full panic whenever I had to feed/water or pull toys and perches for cleaning and rotation. I was very afraid she’d hurt herself again so I moved them back into a smaller cage without the nest box. But somehow a damage had been done. Posha (DNA’d female!) was doing very well and really coming along but Asha was deteriorating. She started plucking and then fighting with Posha. I didn’t know what to do but what I was doing wasn’t working.

Around this time as I was thinking I was just failing them both miserably, a friend and neighbor of mine (Addy) who had two PFLs contacted me very upset because she’d discovered her two “girls” had had a chick and two eggs! She’d not had birds before and thought all birds need a nest box to sleep in. To her credit, this chick is the quietest lovebird I have ever known so was large and quiet feathered by the time s/he was discovered. Addy wanted exactly and only two lovebirds and wanted girls, my girls needed help and so did her lovebirds. I asked if she wouldn’t mind conducting an experiment with me, I’d take her family and she’d take my Asha and Posha.

I wanted to know if Asha would be happier in a household without other birds. Maybe being in that crowded aviary she grew up in traumatized her in a way I couldn’t heal with my flock around. I told her about the blanket and not to ever use a nest box. I explained Asha was skittish and would need time to come around, the nest box would only worsen her fear. Addy was happy to help them and to have someone take over the unexpected male and chick fiasco!

I want to say I hated to let them go, but Asha stopped plucking! She stopped fighting Posha completely and actually lets Addy stick her hands in the cage without disintegrating into a flurry of panic! Maybe she likes Addy more haha but maybe it was the dog, the birds, the noise and bustle of my house that Addy doesn’t have or want. I am positive that entering a calm and quiet house with a very sweet retired mom who wants and loves them exactly as they are made all the difference in the world. Before I moved I asked Addy if she would keep them and she cried she was so happy, and a little afraid I would take them back now that Asha has improved. I know a family when I see it and they have so clearly become one. I’m thrilled! Not only are her girls loved, they are so happy with Addy! I know they are home, with their mom, exactly where they are supposed to be. I would love to visit them, but I want to give them time first, just in case Asha associates me with any trauma that echoed from her past into her time with me. Obviously it doesn’t hurt that I inherited a family of lovies in need too, but this is a happy ending that for a moment, I feared I wouldn’t see.

Two survivors indeed! I am so proud of them!! :xflove::heart::heart:
Best ending ever... it couldn't have worked out more perfectly! Thanks for the update ... and uplift !

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I could not agree more! Happy fids, happy families, and to add icing on the cake all tests for my new additions (chlamydia and PBFD) came back negative today! :fairy2:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
3EDBA262-2804-41EE-B58F-157DF0C5418F.jpeg 5C560A30-519E-420F-B44E-2E2699304A41.jpeg
This is my little PFL family! The parents are currently called Babbo and Mamma, they’ve been attending to their chicks and I haven’t yet gotten to know their personalities much yet.

748BBCA5-3866-4B21-9D7E-C6D6F29F74A9.jpeg
The chick is currently named Bug because of the very buggy way s/he is always on his/her back! We have another follow up next Friday due to this abnormal behavior, the AV is concerned about how quiet the chick is, and to monitor slight splayed leggedness. Bug is so small I could only do two blood tests; I opted for the PBFD and chlamydia tests, so DNA testing cannot be done for another few weeks to make sure his/her blood supply has had a chance to recuperate.

0D6EB627-5F96-46CE-B05C-3ABF4F53D96D.jpeg
S/he is such a little love bug, Bug might just stick!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awww @Beasley they are just adorable and I am so very happy for you that you now have a new birdie family :)