• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New here

Kayla89

Meeting neighbors
Hi all! I’m new here, and joined to hopefully get some more info on blue throats and living with them. I do have experience with medium-large birds (I’ve owned an eclectus, and I socialize birds at a specialty bird store a friend of mine owns). That being said I have ZERO macaw experience other than two birds that are looking to be rehomed that I’ve met since moving to Houston...and both times it ended in bloody fingers LMAO. Despite that I still have my heart set on a macaw lol (maybe I have a screw loose?)

First off, if anyone has a blue throat, I’d love to hear any advice/anecdotes you may have.

Second, id love to hear more about macaw bites lol. The two times I have been bitten in the last week were both by older birds that were being rehomed. The first one was a 2 year old greenwing. Everything was going pretty good - she had tried to boss me around and I gave her a gentle “no” and ignored it and continued interacting. Then a bunch of people came in the shop and ofc immediately ran over to the macaw that was out, so I’m fairly confident the main reason I was nipped a bit was bc the people everywhere had her overstimulated (they were also reaching out to pick her up and then yanking away when she’d do the macaw bluff *eye roll* so I’m sure that didn’t help). The second time was with a 25 year old B&G. She was bluffing a little, but I ignored it and had her eating nuts from my hand after a few minutes. Then her favorite employee at the store walked up and she punched a hole in my finger. Bled a lot, but didn’t really hurt...I just can’t feel my finger currently hahaha. I’m guessing she did that bc her “person” came up.

I guess my take away has basically been that macaws are a heck of a lot gentler than people usually give them credit for? Had those birds actually wanted to do REAL damage they definitely could have gotten me a lot worse lol. Had it been a caique or other small bird I definitely would have gotten a worse bite rofl. Has this been y’alls general experience with macaws and biting?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. No macaw experience but many AA members have macaws so I am sure a few will be posting here and giving you advice.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Blue throats are very active, and even more mechanically inclined. They love to use their beaks to do things from playing and eating to undoing nuts and bolts. If you do get a blue throat, seriously consider how you will keep him/her contained. They are well known for escaping from their cages. I have a Kings Cages 506, and it only took a few days for mine to let himself out. Since then, I have had to use a chain on the door. I do not use a lock as in an emergency I feel that it could take too long to undo. Instead, I use one of these: Expandable Habitats Stainless Steel Toy Hanger . Also, quick links are useless for blue throats. If you need to hang something in their cage, the hanger that I linked is by far your best option. As for diet, they eat the same as most of the other large macaw species. A varied diet is best. I provide vegetables, fruit, pellets, and a small amount of nuts and seed daily. Overall they are an amazing species, however you have to be prepared to keep them busy.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Second, id love to hear more about macaw bites lol. The two times I have been bitten in the last week were both by older birds that were being rehomed. The first one was a 2 year old greenwing. Everything was going pretty good - she had tried to boss me around and I gave her a gentle “no” and ignored it and continued interacting. Then a bunch of people came in the shop and ofc immediately ran over to the macaw that was out, so I’m fairly confident the main reason I was nipped a bit was bc the people everywhere had her overstimulated (they were also reaching out to pick her up and then yanking away when she’d do the macaw bluff *eye roll* so I’m sure that didn’t help). The second time was with a 25 year old B&G. She was bluffing a little, but I ignored it and had her eating nuts from my hand after a few minutes. Then her favorite employee at the store walked up and she punched a hole in my finger. Bled a lot, but didn’t really hurt...I just can’t feel my finger currently hahaha. I’m guessing she did that bc her “person” came up.
Hi Kayla, welcome!

JMHO

Macaws can bully and bluff, but IMO, that often tends to be a catch all phrase when in fact they are communicating.

My interpretation of the above. You were interacting too close to the GWM, in its space, the GWM tried to tell you, "not yet, not that close" and you didn't listen, you got bit. There should be no bloody fingers when meeting a new macaw because the greeter should be patient, and wait to be invited in by the macaw to interact. Talk, ask, then you go slow, constantly reading the macaw. If the bird gets worried or fearful, back off and be patient and only move forward when the bird is comfortable and gives the go ahead.

The shop owners shouldn't allow this type of disrespectful interaction with any bird by its customers. Not many macaws are going to sit there and allow people running up to it and trying to reach out, grab and so on without reacting. Not a bluff, but actual true macaw communication behaviors. The bird is not being respected.

Macaw 101, when the chosen person is in the picture, back away. Again, the bird was not bluffing, it was communicating. Don't ignore the bluff, IMO more times that not, it means something.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Karen Said it very well. They do try to tell you. With the second macaw there was no way you weren't going to get bit with her favorite coming along. Some people say they are protecting their favorite, but in my Jasper's case she just doesn't want to go to someone else or have someone else holding her when I'm there. If I'm not there the staf at the vets office pick her up and carry her around and play with her.

The first bite was inexcusable - the people were idiots and were the ones who should have been bit. That bird didn't know what in the heck was happening and protected himself and probably was telling you to run.

Parrots bite. All parrots will bite and it up to you to avoid any bites - like Karen said read them all of the time. Go slow and have lots of patience.

Kayla89

Meeting neighbors
I’m going back today to visit the greenwing that bit me the other day. I am definitely going to ask if they have a quiet area I can sit with her in other than the store front if they’re busy. We were starting to hit it off, and then everyone swarmed us and got her antsy. I’m bringing some almond slivers and foot toys with me. Hopefully it goes well!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good idea!

I know it may sound silly, but I still explain to my green wing what I would like to do and ask if that is all right with him. He listens so carefully as I’m talking to him and nods his head up-and-down when I’m done. When he nods we’re good to go.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good idea!

I know it may sound silly, but I still explain to my green wing what I would like to do and ask if that is all right with him. He listens so carefully as I’m talking to him and nods his head up-and-down when I’m done. When he nods we’re good to go.

Me too - I talk to all of the time and always explain what I'm going to do.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I only have experience with a young Macaw but it is very easy to see what they are telling you if you are paying attention and know what to look for.
Mine always warns when he doesn’t like something or doesn’t want to be touched...listen and all is well- don’t listen and he will pinch good! He won’t let all strangers pet him or even get too close but the ones he is happy to meet or interact with know he is interested in them and wants their attention. They seem to be very very clear communicators if they have been given the respect they should have.
I also tell him everything I am doing and ask if he wants to be handled, he nods yes when he’s happy to physically interact and will grump and warn if he doesn’t.
There have been times when he’s pinched me as a warning to flee....I copped one the other day when we were sat at the window and he spotted a big bird of prey quite close to the window that I didn’t see, he wasn’t trying to hurt me but he was telling me to move away from the window.
They give lots of warning before biting in my experience.

Kayla89

Meeting neighbors
Well the greenwing had gone home with someone else when I went to visit with her again the other day. I won’t lie, I was pretty bummed - she was very interested in me. I’m starting to wonder how I will ever find the “right” bird. I refuse to buy a parrot, especially one that is as complex and lives as long as a macaw, without getting to know it very well first. Unfortunately, the birds I meet keep going home with people that walk in and walk out with them an hour later while I’m in the process of getting to know them Things would probably be easier if I was willing to put a deposit on a baby, but I’d rather give a great home to an older bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know it doesn’t always make sense but things do happen for a reason.

The right bird will he there at the right time for you :)