• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor cage upgraded!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:bounce8: Done!! :yes4:

It took some time to paint the cupboard so it would stand to stay out, and by the time it was up on the wall I found out that I wanted to build an extention so the fids would be able to stand under the rain if they wished to (they love that ) and have a plant (honeysuckle) climbing from under the cage and in. Hopefully it will thive and climbe to cover the side and top of the cage.

There are 2 small doors on the side to let the birds and a food dish in, and 2 large doors in front to clean up and move things around :mop:. Inside is a cat fontain they can use to drink and bath :bathtime:, the cable is removable so it is easy to take the fountain out to wash it and the birds don't have access to it to chew.
A new chewable toy in soft wood is on its way to place in the left corner (close to the doors so it won't be exposed to the rain).
In sunny days, I'll have a bamboo mate on the front panel to provide shadow:cool4:.

Let me know if you notice something is missing!

20190619_210909.jpg 20190619_210918.jpg 20190619_210944.jpg 20190616_210750.jpg

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
impressive :shocked3: !!! it looks so much fun ! i love the central branch with the bark they can chew of and have fun (what kind of wood is it though pine ?:shocked2:)

i also like the fact that you though about sunlight/rain exposure and protection against the elements ! bravo pretty cool ! :highfive::laughing12:

Btw i see that you have cactus !!!! feel free to post pictures on my cactus thread i would love to see them up close !

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/post-your-cactus-collection.228338/

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks, the central tree is part of a little pine I found on my way to collect perches, it had been cut down so I took what I needed and added an extra branch (the flat one that goes 90 degrees from the "trunk") to stabilize it against the frame.
Last year we only had the cupboard part of the cage and I didn't like it that much because there was little air circulation, so now they can go and take the wind if they want.
While I was working on this they were in a standard cage with a little umbrella on the top so they could hide under and they use to stay in the shadow there, but when it rains they go under the open part and shower, so now they can do it too :)

Cool with the cactus! Those a 3 small ones from IKEA that my son absolutely wanted some years ago, and they survived :roflmao:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a lot of thoughtful planning! This is just GREAT!!! :heart: You must be so talented to accomplish this.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
What a lot of thoughtful planning! This is just GREAT!!! :heart: You must be so talented to accomplish this.
Thanks, I love DIY projects. But then, after all that planning and work to give them the best of NATURAL perches and opportunities... I found them both on the the only factory-made round and straight stick :facepalm:... Waiting at the door for me to come and get them inside. Merlin is really great, he knows how to use the "bus" ( a home-made transport cage we use to go from one place to the other) so even if they flew away when I opened the door, he came back pretty quickly when he saw the bus, and Nova followed him, I find it very cute when they want something and manage to communicate it to me like that :heart:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Thanks, I love DIY projects. But then, after all that planning and work to give them the best of NATURAL perches and opportunities... I found them both on the the only factory-made round and straight stick :facepalm:... Waiting at the door for me to come and get them inside. Merlin is really great, he knows how to use the "bus" ( a home-made transport cage we use to go from one place to the other) so even if they flew away when I opened the door, he came back pretty quickly when he saw the bus, and Nova followed him, I find it very cute when they want something and manage to communicate it to me like that :heart:
The bus LOL Awe that sounds so cute! They really are great at communicating when they want (or definitely don’t want!) something.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So, today is cold and windy -very cold Summer here, below 10 degrees C since yesterday- so I don't want to let the birds outside. But they want to... and they are letting me know!

After showing clearly that he wanted out, Merlin tried to push Nova back into their cage (since that is how they can go outside: back in the cage, so in the bus, so out) but she didn't cooperate, she was busy studying a coconut. So he got really frustrated and started to fuss and fly over my head like crazy, like they do when they want my attention... But it is still under 10 outside. Nova is following him in the crazy flying, and miscalculated her turn, crashed into the wall... Luckily she looks fine and takes flyrounds like nothing happened.

I really have to find a way to make that "bird flap" door I intended to have in the wall between the living room and their outdoor cage, but I'm not really sure how to do it properly without risking draft and an ugly door in the middle of my living's wall. Would really be nice though, they could come and go as they wish!

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awe, sorry the weather isn’t cooperating there. Poor Merlin just wants to hang out in his new awesome outside habitat his mommy made for him :crycry2:
I’ll send some warm weather vibes your way, so hopefully those kids can get in the bus (still makes me chuckle lol) and go get some fresh air!!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Awe, sorry the weather isn’t cooperating there. Poor Merlin just wants to hang out in his new awesome outside habitat his mommy made for him :crycry2:
I’ll send some warm weather vibes your way, so hopefully those kids can get in the bus (still makes me chuckle lol) and go get some fresh air!!
:smuggrin: They are out just now, your warm weather vibes increased the temperature by about 3 degrees so we passed the 10C limit and they were allowed. They are all fluffy and chatting in the wind! :lol:

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I'm quite concerned about a cat on the fence. Something to keep a cat off the fence or at least away from the cage please.