• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Love

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Reading this, all I saw was Milton. Rocky and him must be twins...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Anyone who has rescued a cockatoo (any parrot really), put in the time, did the work and been "rewarded" with that deeply unique relationship would understand this article very well.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
She can look at his ear holes! :loltears: I was already laughing, but that part made me tear up laughing so hard. :smuggrin: I can't wait to read this with hubby.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:hehe: I loved this article! It reminds me of Fred, at least some of it. If he sees me with food he comes running, so I make sure its healthy. Sometimes the best way to get him to eat is to hand feed my little baby :xflove: and if he sees us with our phone he has to see!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
The above is fred getting his nose into what we're looking at, he has to know and see everything! We love him so much. Cockatoos are a lot of work but I don't find him taking anymore time than a dog, we spend as much time with Fred as we used to spend with our dog, and he's just as well behaved!:heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Which species is smarter a grey or a too?
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Greys have a better capacity for speech. They both have the same level of understanding. Greys just express themselves more clearly. Cockatoos on the other hand are engineers. They will analyze, manipulate and figure out pretty complex problems. The males are also very conniving.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
...that's true....I've seen first hand proof of that...both with Milton, and other males here in the area...
Fred is! He gets me to do all kinds of things, especially hand feeding! He knows if he stares at me long enough I will sit for as long as he wants. No one else does and he does know it! :banghead::facepalm::hehe::rolleyes::xflove:
It doesn't help that I am smitten! I am also the only one he doesn't bite :roflmao:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thank you for posting this @Lady Jane

It brought tears to my eyes.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Fred is! He gets me to do all kinds of things, especially hand feeding! He knows if he stares at me long enough I will sit for as long as he wants. No one else does and he does know it! :banghead::facepalm::hehe::rolleyes::xflove:
It doesn't help that I am smitten! I am also the only one he doesn't bite :roflmao:
Fred has trained you EXTREMELY well! ;)

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Sounds like my fluff ball too. He lets me do ALMOST anything to him. And I just wonder, in his 13 years how many people actually cared about him before us. But I know now after he’s been with me for over a year now that he knows he’s loved at our home, and I think he knows it’s his home forever.

Last night I went mountain biking with some guys from work. I got home about 20 minutes after his bedtime. So my wife had put him to bed. His cage is in our finished basement, and we have a balcony that overlooks it so he’s easily heard down there. I walk into the house and say hi and from downstairs I hear “Hi dad, come here”. So I walked downstairs in the dimly lit room and said good night to him. He just wanted some head scratches and to see me. I walked back upstairs and he didn’t make another sound.

In fact, this is him as I write this hahaha. He sometimes likes that spot rubbed on the top of his head behind his crest with no feathers. I usually preen a few while I’m doing it. And just like Rocky, he lets me know if I hit a tender spot. He’s a good boy. The neediest animal you’ll ever have, but in return gives the most unique human to animal relationship you can experience. In fact, it’s more like a needy toddler attached to your hip who constantly tells you how much they love you.

Oh and the noise.....well I’m just thankful I don’t have close neighbors haha.

It’s heartbreaking the number of them who don’t have loving homes because of number of people that took them on not knowing what they were getting into, quickly realized they were over their heads and give them up. Or worse, abuse them, ignore them, lock them away to muffle their screams, etc.

92E28319-A9FC-4B13-8540-448DD205548B.jpeg

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:heart: What a great pic. Makes me want to go home right now and get my fingers in some feathers. :dreamyeyes:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Fred has trained you EXTREMELY well! ;)
Right?! They know how much you love them, I swear he knows he's got me wrapped around his claws! One morning I was going to work and before I turned the light on I looked at the bottom of his cage where I had some fieldstones for him to climb on. There was pink dust on the grey rocks at the bottom of the cage and I looked quick and thought Fred was lying on the cage floor. Of course I was in a full blown panic calling him, he immediately jumped from a perch to the front door where I was at his cage and screeched to let me know he was ok, I took him out and gave him scritches and kisses buried my nose in his crest and sobbed! He licked the tears off my face! I am convinced they know they're loved!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Sounds like my fluff ball too. He lets me do ALMOST anything to him. And I just wonder, in his 13 years how many people actually cared about him before us. But I know now after he’s been with me for over a year now that he knows he’s loved at our home, and I think he knows it’s his home forever.

Last night I went mountain biking with some guys from work. I got home about 20 minutes after his bedtime. So my wife had put him to bed. His cage is in our finished basement, and we have a balcony that overlooks it so he’s easily heard down there. I walk into the house and say hi and from downstairs I hear “Hi dad, come here”. So I walked downstairs in the dimly lit room and said good night to him. He just wanted some head scratches and to see me. I walked back upstairs and he didn’t make another sound.

In fact, this is him as I write this hahaha. He sometimes likes that spot rubbed on the top of his head behind his crest with no feathers. I usually preen a few while I’m doing it. And just like Rocky, he lets me know if I hit a tender spot. He’s a good boy. The neediest animal you’ll ever have, but in return gives the most unique human to animal relationship you can experience. In fact, it’s more like a needy toddler attached to your hip who constantly tells you how much they love you.

Oh and the noise.....well I’m just thankful I don’t have close neighbors haha.

It’s heartbreaking the number of them who don’t have loving homes because of number of people that took them on not knowing what they were getting into, quickly realized they were over their heads and give them up. Or worse, abuse them, ignore them, lock them away to muffle their screams, etc.

View attachment 307788
Beautiful picture! Wonderful birdie!:heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Anyone who has rescued a cockatoo (any parrot really), put in the time, did the work and been "rewarded" with that deeply unique relationship would understand this article very well.
The spoken truth I can attest to in this article!

20190527_191337.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:joyful:. :heart:There are some really stunning fids around here!:heart: