• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gray feathers underneath

Uniscious

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. What little information I found says this could be indicative of a forming liver disease.

I got her when I was together with someone else and our joint income allowed us to make regular veterinary visits. My income at this time is very limited and I can’t do that so well.

My bird is on Harrison’s fine high potency and is given a very small amount of seed every one or two days though I’ve stopped giving it to her since I’ve noticed all of the gray and I’ve read the liver issues could be caused by an overly fatty diet.

I know this could also be due to stress but she spends 35+ hours outside of her cage with me per week.

She is fully flighted and gets a great deal of exercise. I am having problems getting her to eat vegetables but don’t give her much in the way of fruit which she loves. 4196BC67-D722-4054-B590-8DBA41E308E4.jpeg

3B8B69CD-D60A-42AB-ABBA-A1295E4EA09A.jpeg

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I am not sure about the feathers, but a CBC will show any systemic issues. And trust me, I know it's costly. Where are you located? In the US we have Care Credit which many vets accept and there's zero interest for I think six months from date of care. It's been a life saver for me. I'm trying to type and my lovebird is not allowing

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My conure will eat anything but my lovebird will only eat freeze dried veggies, so that's an option in that area. Hopefully someone here knows more about her issue, but I'm sure you can also call an AV and see what they say.

Uniscious

Moving in
Real Name
Matthew
She isn’t molting. And I wouldn’t be Able to have any testing done. I made this post with the intent of taking her to a rescue if any medical attention would be needed as I genuinely can’t afford it for a few months and I know that could have negative outcomes

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
She isn’t molting. And I wouldn’t be Able to have any testing done. I made this post with the intent of taking her to a rescue if any medical attention would be needed as I genuinely can’t afford it for a few months and I know that could have negative outcomes
Can you post more pictures.....the ones already posted look fairly normal to me. Maybe I am not seeing the same thing you are?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
They do look like down feathers. She has a beautiful little eye in that first shot. She appears very comfortable. I hope it’s nothing serious.

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
My GCC’s feathers are a light grey colour as well towards the end of the feather. I don’t think you have anything to worry about

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Looks pretty normal to me, too. The base of the feathers are usually a softer fuzzy grey or white. They look exactly like all my birds' feathers. :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Same here, look like down to me as well.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Those are normal...down feathers. It's the colored feather quality that you want to look at for feather coloration changes. If you can, get her into see a vet for a checkup. Catching things early is less expensive and the rescues would rather she kept her home. She has a beautiful, big eye peeking out there. I love cheekies...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Those are the fluffy PJs (down feathers). As Chandra mentioned, the colored feathers on the upper layer is what can indicate health changes. Liver issues for a green bird usually manifest as yellowing.

The base of most body feathers have fuzzy gray near the body.

The grey doesn't usually show up often as it is hidden under the colored portion, but can if the bird is rubbing on toys, blankets, etc, is molting, or has been plucking or barbering (which they sometimes do in captivity for a variety of reasons).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here is one of Ripley's feathers showing off the grey fluffy bottom IMG_20190620_180019.jpg