• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peppermint Oil around Parrots

birdmom3693

Moving in
Real Name
Mary
I am having an ant problem in my home. They started in the kitchen and twice this week I have found some in my parrots’ food dishes. It’s only seed but they’re still in there . I know peppermint oil is a natural repellent for ants diluted with a little water. I was thinking of putting some peppermint oil in the kitchen as well as my living room where the birds are kept. I was going to use a few drops around the base board and by the door and windows.

Does anyone know if this would be safe for my birds?

Thank you!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I still wouldn't use it, but I just want to point out the peppermint oil tested for that SDS report was more than 50% alcohol, and that's what produced most of the cautions. Most of the essential oils we use today contain a large amount of solvent.
I have a general rule around my birds. If I can smell it, they're breathing it. So I don't use any product with a smell for sure, other than fresh leaves etc. So if you have access to fresh peppermint leaves that would be fine to use.

Attachments

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
avian insect liquidator

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
The alcohol content is reported as menthol. All mint species contain menthol - it's the volatile oil in the plant that gives the scent as it evaporates or volatilizes into air. The alcohol in essential oils is not a synthetic solvent or a petrochemical alkane that's oxidized to form alcohol. All aromatic essential oils are flammable to some extent.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Googling for peppermint oil always leads to prepared (ready to use) oil. Pure peppermint oil is like a resin, methanol (as a solvent) thins it and makes it more usable in cosmetics, remedies, aromatherapy etc.

Anyways, this ain't the place.
:agreetodisagree:

Last edited: