• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Separating cagemates

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My 2 quakers are closely bonded and share a cage.
I'm wondering if I should separate them. I have to let them out separately to train them, which can be a pain when both birds want out(which is all the time lol). Feeding's also a problem, when they're hormonal Teri gets very resource-guardy and chases Kimi off of food bowls, and they also squabble a lot during that time. I don't know if separating would help but I wanna avoid Kimi laying eggs again too.

Do you think it's a good idea? I'm not sure how they'd react given that Quakers are so territorial. Life would be easier if I separated them but I don't want them to lose their bond. And if I separate them should I get the same cage again or is another one(possibly smaller) fine?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for tagging me @Lady Jane . Unfortunately. I don't have any advice because due to Blu's moodiness and territorial behavior I am afraid of having two Quakers, even though I wish I could have another. Maybe @Mizzely could offer some advice? She used to have two Quakers

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never had to separate bonded birds... But if I had a bird resource guarding and preventing feeding I would personally not hesitate to separate.

As for cage size as long as it is still within the minimum cage sizes, it should be fine to be smaller, but having two identical cages may prevent not only a preference for one over the other (thereby not really taking care of the problem) but also help ease the transition.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Might I just ask... why do you need to separate them in order to train them?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Life may not be easier. Have you tried to separate them? If they are truly bonded they will most likely drive you insane calling back and forth to one another.

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Might I just ask... why do you need to separate them in order to train them?
I'm not sure if I should, that's why I'm asking.
I haven't had much success training them at same time because they're very different birds and prefer different approaches. Most issues come from Teri getting way too excited way too quickly for Kimi to handle.
Training them one at a time has worked a bit better, but it gets complicated when it's time to switch birds.

Life may not be easier. Have you tried to separate them? If they are truly bonded they will most likely drive you insane calling back and forth to one another.
I have, and they have to be able to see each other at all times or else that^ happens. When I only let 1 out to train the bird in the cage can still see them and gets praised if they try to participate(usually for talking). I didn't mean separating them entirely, just into 2 cages next to eachother. However if anyone has ideas on how to fix these things without separating them I would love to hear them. I'm feeling quite stuck because it seems like these issues can't be resolved without training, but training itself is hard this way too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have you tried target training and station training with them in their cages at all?

Monkey see, monkey do... so it's possible that they could learn from each other simply by watching the other learning.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I often train two birds at a time because mine are in pairs or are a flock of babies (then who knows how many their are). It is definitely a challenge to concentrate on more than one at a time. We just take turns or sometime both birds respond to the same prompt and do the behavior. Recall can be done with 2 at a time. Practicing a behavior would be easier to do with multiple birds at a time but I could see how trying to capture a new behavior would be more difficult. Also fine tuning things could be difficult if timing is critical.

I don't see the harm in separating them for training.

As for feeding, I always by a large cage with a divider. I target (or just bribe the birds to move to one side of the cage) so I can slide in the divider. Once, they are on one side I open the opposite side where food and water dishes are and and can service the cage. When I remove the divider they rush to check out the new food and I can slide it back in and do anything that I might need to do on the other side. This is super helpful for pet sitters too. You can feed the birds and clean cages totally hands off. You can also use the divider any time you need to to separate them to opposite sides of the cage. Maybe at training time, put one on each side of the cage and then you can take out one and easily leave the others in. I personally thing all cages should come with dividers (who should I write too about this, LOL)

In reality, I have a routine with some of the birds, once they learn to return to their cages when asked (bribed) I will let them both out and then give the food and water then use the treat to lure them back. This works because of the routine. Any other time of day they wouldn't be so easy to get back in their cage without a longer period of out of cage time. Another pair of birds are trained to (mostly) sit on their door while I service the cage then they go back in for a big treat after.

Finally, you may also consider a cage with outside access feeder doors.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
If yo find you cannot separate successfully, might I suggest with having way too much food for Teri to chase Kimi off food, or have 2-3 different food stations so Teri cannot guard all of them at the same time.
We fostered a pair of bonded quakers but we were lucky that they did not do the said behavior. One the female being more cage aggressive and protective of the male, but may have been more about how each one was raised and individual personality.

I am sure with trial and error and advice, you will find a good solution or compromise.
sherri

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Have you tried target training and station training with them in their cages at all?

Monkey see, monkey do... so it's possible that they could learn from each other simply by watching the other learning.
Targeting yes, though Teri getting in the way is always a problem. I haven't tried station training yet, but now that I think of it I can see how it might be helpful! The only thing is I'm unsure of exactly how to do it with 2 birds.
They do pick up things off each other, but that also makes them prone to getting into each others' business. If I call one of them both will come, that sort of thing. Not sure how to work around it except hope they get what their names mean eventually. I don't treat them both if I only asked one bird, obviously. They're basically joined at the hip which is very cute but it has its issues :/

I often train two birds at a time because mine are in pairs or are a flock of babies (then who knows how many their are). It is definitely a challenge to concentrate on more than one at a time. We just take turns or sometime both birds respond to the same prompt and do the behavior. Recall can be done with 2 at a time. Practicing a behavior would be easier to do with multiple birds at a time but I could see how trying to capture a new behavior would be more difficult. Also fine tuning things could be difficult if timing is critical.
I don't see the harm in separating them for training.
Some things I can train together, but for the most part Kimi requires a lot more patience and care than Teri. Most of the time he needs a separate training session just so I can tire him out a bit.

As for feeding, I always by a large cage with a divider...
A large cage with a divider honestly sounds pretty good! Do you think replacing their current cage with something like that would work instead of separating them? What kind would you recommend for Quakers?

In reality, I have a routine with some of the birds, once they learn to return to their cages when asked (bribed) I will let them both out and then give the food and water then use the treat to lure them back. This works because of the routine. Any other time of day they wouldn't be so easy to get back in their cage without a longer period of out of cage time. Another pair of birds are trained to (mostly) sit on their door while I service the cage then they go back in for a big treat after.

Finally, you may also consider a cage with outside access feeder doors.
I'll have to try some of those things. Right now getting them back in is a pain. Bribes don't work on Teri.

The cage already has outside feeder doors? unless I'm missing something.

If yo find you cannot separate successfully, might I suggest with having way too much food for Teri to chase Kimi off food, or have 2-3 different food stations so Teri cannot guard all of them at the same time.
I already leave them multiple bowls but Kimi HAS to eat out of the same bowl as Teri for some reason. She won't always take it even when I give her a special bowl while Teri's outside. I'm not sure if leaving both of them too much food would be a good idea.