• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal Body Language

Owen

Checking out the neighborhood
I tried posting this in the Behavior Byway forum yesterday but haven't found much luck yet, so I apologize for the double post but I'm hoping someone here may be able to help better understand my new Senegal roommate based on experience with their own poi.

I've just adopted my girlfriends Senegal parrot this week and despite all the research I've been doing there are a couple of behaviors I'm having trouble interpreting.

Background: Kiwi is a 20 year old male, very much overly attached/bonded to my girlfriend who for the past year has had to leave Kiwi with her parents because her job involves travel. So this week I stepped in to foster Kiwi, it's my first time caring for a bird but I'm hoping the more relaxed environment and opportunity to get at least a few hours out of the cage a day will provide an increased quality of life for Kiwi. He doesn't seem terribly crazy about me yet and is definitely not interested in any sort of physical contact with me, but a combination of shared meal times and evenings with an open cage door (mainly spend on top of his cage) while I'm a few feet away on the couch seem to be building a good foundation of trust.

Onto the question, since I was first introduced to Kiwi, he would do this sort of agitated dance, stepping back and forth and weaving his head low and to the side, and then sometimes stop, turn his back to me and lift his wings with a slight quivering motion. I interpreted this all as fear / agitation, and as a way of communicating to give him more space.

However I'm now noticing that these two behaviors are often done separately and he does both of them regardless of how close I am to him, and in fact I've found him doing both actions while he is flock calling for me when I am out of the room entirely.

I took a short video of the "wing thing" Kiwi - GIF on Imgur

He'll do that for 5-20 seconds, sometimes quite and sometimes not, I don't think eyes are pinning when he does it. When he stops sometimes he'll chat, sometimes he'll go back to snacking, or sometimes he'll start doing his back and forth dance.

I also experimented in mimicking his side to side head weaving dance, and he instantly responded by doing a little up and down dance (not regurgitation motion) and then got extra chatty. So now I'm reading that as potentially more of a generalized excitement that I'll have to read cues for whether good or bad, instead of the "get away from me dance" that I thought it was.

Has anyone here experienced the same or similar with their poi's? I'd like to have the best understanding of my new dinosaur friend as I can so that we can both make the most of this new living arrangement.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like he is excited and/or wants to fly but I do see that his wings are clipped. When my Senegal is angry or upset he puffs himself up and sways back and forth. When he is excited he will put his wings out like Kiwi and turn around a few times. Do let his wing feathers grow back so he can get some flying exercise.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Agree with iamwhoiam. Kobe (Pionus) does that sort of quivering, but Kobe bends a little lower when he wants to either come out of his cage or fly. How long has Kiwi been clipped for? Maybe through trial and error he knows he can't fly which is why it doesn't look as urgent as just before take off. That's so good of you to take in Kiwi. Like iamwhoiam I would definitely let his wings grow out so that he can learn to fly. Birds are built to fly.

Owen

Checking out the neighborhood
From everything that I've read I'm definitely on team "let them grow out", but it's something that'll have to be a discussion since I am only fostering Kiwi and he is currently completely untrained. I would hopefully get in some target training and get to the point where he would let me handle him or step up for me before we start training flight, but for now we're still working on base line trust and getting used to the new environment so target training is on hold until it can be done without fear or aggression.

I'm not sure if I agree the wing thing is about flight though, he's certainly done postures where he looks like he wants to fly, but this seems like a sort of posturing? He'll do it for a decently long time and sometimes mid meal or while being up close and chatty with me.

I did get the swaying back and forth on video today, is this how you mean your Senegal acts when upset? Link

I had previously interpreted that as go away, but right after I took that he climbed over his cage to get to another perch right by my face (as close as we have been for any extended period) and chatted with me for quite a while. Up close and very cute.

I did catch him doing what looked like a quick skirt dance today also, so being the spring season and all I'll have to make sure not to encourage any of that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's not puffed up when he is swaying so I wouldn't say that's a sign of being angry/upset. My Senegal puffs up and makes himself look larger and sometimes he will make a growling sound. It's almost as if he is trying to scare away a predator. Kiwi is a very handsome Senegal, BTW.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
i personally think its mating.. what im trying to figure out is if its for someone other than you or for you. normally the wings droop lower for mating but that isnt the motion ive witnessed for flight. seems more mating connected. if he doesnt get aggressive toward you than it could be for you in excitement. could also be wanting a female and showing off his stuff

Dulli

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dave
My Meyers used to do this but for her this was a begging posture.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I think hes just excited :)
When a Senny wants to attack you, you'll know..

I have one that is without doubt the most sweetest bird on earth, and her companion is Dracula.. He will draw blood whenever he can, and he doesnt even warn :)
Just take things slow, Senegals are a bit more feisty then other Pois, but i absolutely believe they are also the best of the family :heart:

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
In my opinion, I perceive this as him being anxious or wanting to go somewhere. When my BH pionus was clipped he would do the same thing... When I came to him, he stepped up and sometimes would still do this on my hand until I moved him to where he was kind of looking to go. Once he got down, mostly all of the time he would stop.