• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding tips please

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hey,

I have two linnies. I try to give their fruit, veggies and seed mix seperated but when i do that they only eat their seed mix. Now that add all them together in one bowl, they enjoy eating it. Add some baby food in there (the jar ones with only certain fruit of veggies in them and maybe water, just about a spoonfull) they go nuts for it. But looking more around it says it's bad because it starts to tarnish.

I already tried putting it in different places, put the fruit and veggies higher than the seed mix, taking out the bowl for theseed mix.
Anybody has some tips for me?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Do you mean for trying to get your linnies to eat vegetables?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
A lot of people feed twice a day, pellets for one and veggies for the other. If I do fresh veggies I do it in the evening so I can take it away after an hour or so.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When I had linnies they ate like little piggy's. You can feed the veggies (without fruit) first thing in the morning with no seed mixes in the cage yet. Veggie chop is good in a nice fairly flat dish that allows for foraging and millet seed lightly sprinkled on top. When they have had enough then put the seed mix in for them to eat. Since Linnies have such lose droppings I would feed fruit sparingly so as not to give them diarrhea. Mostly they liked apples which you can put on a skewer.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
They ARE piggies!

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I would try getting them off of seed all together and try a high quality pellet, when I first got my girl home she was on seed, it took me a week to get her off. I feed pellet and fresh chop twice a day.

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Seed is not there primary diet, my birds eat high quality pellet, I alternate between 3, they eat fresh chop twice a day, they get treats through out the day.

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi has Roudybush pellets available 24/7. In the morning I give her fresh pellets, fresh water and chop (mostly cooked veggies) and in the afternoon she has a Nutri-berry when she returns to her cage. She is interested in everything and has been a consistent weight of 50 grams for a year.