• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sevro: More food options for budgie with a beak injury.

Dexy2010

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Whitney Hitt
Hi all!
It's been 7 months since our budgie Sevro lost his bottom beak. He seems to be getting along well and has adjusted to a non-solid diet, but I have some questions and concerns that maybe you guys would have opinions or insights on.

So, I'm looking for some other food options.
Right now Sevro is eating mainly cooked quinoa mixed with hand feeding formula and organic baby food. Is there anything else that he might be able to eat? Before we tried feeding him quinoa he was on the verge of death he's lost about 20% of his body weight in a few days and trying to feed him with a syringe ourselves was a very dangerous and last resort kind of option.

The biggest issue with this food is that it tends to be messy and will dry on the feathers around his beak.

Secondly.
What kind of toys might he benifit from? I feel like most of the toys he and his cage mate share are meant for chewing, but he can't' exactly do that anymore. (Though he does love to scrap his beak on the mineral block)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad your budgie is doing well. Some of our vendors sell mashes your bird might like - Avian Organics and Waylies Dailies. Maybe some cooked mashed sweet potato? Hopefully others will have some ideas about toys. Maybe some balsa toys? I know he can chew but maybe he could a little since balsa is so soft?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For toys maybe a small stainless steel toy or something with a bird safe bell that he can push on.
After he eats be sure to clean him off quickly with cotton balls moistened with warm water. That will prevent the food drying on his feathers.
Is he able to eat from a spoon? You could get a small baby spoon and see if he will take food from that.
Have you tried some egg with him or soft cooked pasta?