• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I picked out my cockatiel!

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
Aww, your baby's so cute :xflove:
:congrats5:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
I have a BIG soft spot for white face tiels anyway so male or female wouldn't matter to me. In fact, we already have our next one picked out but the breeder says two or three more weeks. UGH!
Wow you're racking up quite a collection, Robert! :D Usually I prefer the cute rosy cheeks on the yellow faces, but this one was too precious to pass up. I figure I'll just get this bird sexed so that I will know to provide a high calcium diet if female (since tiels are known to be avid egg layers). If male, hopefully he's not that loud, but I guess we'll live with it if he is. :rolleyes:

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Yeah, Our collection is about to get even bigger! Our favorite breeder has teased us with photos of ELEVEN new baby tiels!!!! Two of witch my wife and I just can't pass up. One is a whiteface pearl pied and the other is a pearl with A LOT of yellow on it! STAY tuned for more details. Breeder says at least 3 more weeks. UGH!

Lianne

Meeting neighbors
I went back to the bird store and picked out a cockatiel baby. There were lots of sweet chicks to choose from this time. There was one nice lutino, like Lilo (see my previous threads about her), but I decided to go with a different mutation because I worried I would compare the new chick with her too much. I ended up picking the beautiful white-faced pied baby below (is that the correct mutation name?). I bet she will be gorgeous fully feathered.

While I was picking out a chick, another customer kept manhandling the tiels. He grabbed this one roughly and she of course started biting him. He proclaimed "this one's a biter!" to his family and put her back down. He then tried to tell his wife to "just grab them!" as some of the more skittish older chicks ran from her. I really wanted to yell at the idiot! I waited a few minutes to let the poor girl calm down, then slowly approached her. She perched on me, still a little unsure, but calmed down enough after a couple minutes to cuddle up to my chest and stoke her upper back. She's not a "biter," she's a healthy, feisty thing with normal instincts, who I think will be a lovely bird. I decided to go with her rather than a more meek bird I was considering, who didn't seem quite as healthy (possible foot deformity from the look of it).

One of the workers estimated she was about 10 weeks old (they might have records that they can check when they're less busy). She looks a little younger to me, but I'm not sure. They think she'll take at least another month to wean, so I plan to come visit her once a week. I'm saying "her" for now, but any ideas on gender would be appreciated. I don't know much about whiteface sexing. I think I'm going to get her DNA tested before she comes home to be sure...Ahh I'm so excited!

View attachment 304624 View attachment 304625
:heart:
I went back to the bird store and picked out a cockatiel baby. There were lots of sweet chicks to choose from this time. There was one nice lutino, like Lilo (see my previous threads about her), but I decided to go with a different mutation because I worried I would compare the new chick with her too much. I ended up picking the beautiful white-faced pied baby below (is that the correct mutation name?). I bet she will be gorgeous fully feathered.

While I was picking out a chick, another customer kept manhandling the tiels. He grabbed this one roughly and she of course started biting him. He proclaimed "this one's a biter!" to his family and put her back down. He then tried to tell his wife to "just grab them!" as some of the more skittish older chicks ran from her. I really wanted to yell at the idiot! I waited a few minutes to let the poor girl calm down, then slowly approached her. She perched on me, still a little unsure, but calmed down enough after a couple minutes to cuddle up to my chest and stoke her upper back. She's not a "biter," she's a healthy, feisty thing with normal instincts, who I think will be a lovely bird. I decided to go with her rather than a more meek bird I was considering, who didn't seem quite as healthy (possible foot deformity from the look of it).

One of the workers estimated she was about 10 weeks old (they might have records that they can check when they're less busy). She looks a little younger to me, but I'm not sure. They think she'll take at least another month to wean, so I plan to come visit her once a week. I'm saying "her" for now, but any ideas on gender would be appreciated. I don't know much about whiteface sexing. I think I'm going to get her DNA tested before she comes home to be sure...Ahh I'm so excited!

View attachment 304624 View attachment 304625
o

oh wow what a gorgeous little tiel .
you definitely made a great choice and so young to sex yet but if I had to I may go with Male . let me know :D:heart::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, Our collection is about to get even bigger! Our favorite breeder has teased us with photos of ELEVEN new baby tiels!!!! Two of witch my wife and I just can't pass up. One is a whiteface pearl pied and the other is a pearl with A LOT of yellow on it! STAY tuned for more details. Breeder says at least 3 more weeks. UGH!
I have a white face pearl pied. She's very pretty, IMO.
You certainly are a 'tiel fan.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
8A9E3747-5CCB-4F62-A314-51AEDBE0CB85.jpeg Visited my baby at the store today, and paid for a DNA test, hoping I hear the results back within the week! I'm glad I brought the rag. She jumped on the counter and pooped on the DNA test form, right after I told her how mischievous she was! :evilgrin: This one's gonna be trouble, I can feel it. She's lucky she's so pretty. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
He/she is a cutie. She looks like she is saying, "This is my person. I own her now. I have wrapped her around my talon in mere seconds."

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He/she is so cute! You can definitely see a feisty look in her eye!

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
so amazing that in the U.S and some other countries you can find actual bird stores with hand fed babies for sale that is really incredible ! in france you either find a breeder or sometimes the local pet store will sell hand fed babies at a crazy high price like (230$ for a cockatiel lol) :crycry2: and even overall there are not a lot of species to choose from :( yall are so lucky i love ready all the threads on this forum it's really amazing !:grouphug2::grouphug3:

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
Being a whiteface fan, I'm going nuts over that last photo of your cute baby! My wife and I made the long two hour drive to the bird center we got our last one from. We made a deposit on our next baby pearl whitface! he will be ready to take home in about two more weeks.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
He/she is a cutie. She looks like she is saying, "This is my person. I own her now. I have wrapped her around my talon in mere seconds."
He/she is so cute! You can definitely see a feisty look in her eye!
She does look quite proud of the fact she has a person. And she’s lovely. :heart:
:roflmao: I'm in trouble aren't I? She definitely looks like she owns me in this pic. Best that I learn my place now I guess...

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
so amazing that in the U.S and some other countries you can find actual bird stores with hand fed babies for sale that is really incredible ! in france you either find a breeder or sometimes the local pet store will sell hand fed babies at a crazy high price like (230$ for a cockatiel lol) :crycry2: and even overall there are not a lot of species to choose from :( yall are so lucky i love ready all the threads on this forum it's really amazing !:grouphug2::grouphug3:
Mine cost around that much lol. But she's vetted and well-bred, so I think she's worth it. Interesting that you don't have any avian stores in France!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Being a whiteface fan, I'm going nuts over that last photo of your cute baby! My wife and I made the long two hour drive to the bird center we got our last one from. We made a deposit on our next baby pearl whitface! he will be ready to take home in about two more weeks.
Sounds beautiful! Be sure to take pics for us soon. :)

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Mine cost around that much lol. But she's vetted and well-bred, so I think she's worth it. Interesting that you don't have any avian stores in France!
french people are very focused on cats, dogs and aquariums but as for birds we are behind on a lot of things like for exemple: if you as someone thats works at a big petstore "do you sell pellets for parrots ?" they will answer something like " parrots eat pellet ? does it even exist?"

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:roflmao: I'm in trouble aren't I? She definitely looks like she owns me in this pic. Best that I learn my place now I guess...
Ahhh yes....now you’re a true bird person! :laugh:

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Congrats! What a little beauty.