• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC has been losing balance.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I was wondering if my bird losing balance or falling to the bottom of it's cage is a warning of any kind. I should note that she got her nails trimmed about a week and a half ago, so sometimes it is harder for her to grip certain things. I haven't witnessed her actually falling to the bottom if the cage, she might just be going down there out of curiosity or because I get worried and give her attention when she does. But I have noticed she seems to struggle to balance at times.

Also do her nostrils look healthy?

Attachments

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
My lovebird started falling off her perch and it was nerve damage in her feet from excessive egg laying. If she's falling I'd get her to a vet ASAP.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Teri Ray no she has not. I control as much as I can about her environment to avoid that, I've heard for smaller birds it can be very dangerous:(

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Egg binding/laying can be dangerous for all birds. I would also second the take her to the vet suggestion. Maybe lower her perches for the meantime so that she doesn't have as far to fall?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not uncommon for birds to be a little clumsy after a nail trim. Otherwise the only other thing I can think of beyond a neurological issue or egg pushing on a nerve would be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. When Ripley came to me he was deficient in just about everything, but his calcium deficiency would cause temporary, sudden paralysis in his foot and then he would lose his balance and fall.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@mizzley any recommendations on a supplement or food to build calcium, also just for her immune system? I'm so glad that bird is in good hands now also!

Teri Ray

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Teri Whitaker
Egg binding/laying can be dangerous for all birds. I would also second the take her to the vet suggestion. Maybe lower her perches for the meantime so that she doesn't have as far to fall?
that's a great idea. You don't want her breaking something in the meantime. She just started this?

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@BeanieofJustice thank you! Yes I've been keeping an eye on her in her travel cage. She seems perfectly fine, I'm going to invest in some smaller perches for her cage because I think they are too wide along with not having dino claws she is hopefully just losing grip. But if she continues to lose balance I will schedule her a visit

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Teri Ray yes it's just started. It was her second nail trim and they are much shorter than before because but the lady said she I couldn't see the vein the first time. I always come here for more opinions and education anyways.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of diet is she on now? It took about 6 to 8 months for Ripley to really get over most of his diet caused ailments.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@mizzley she is on the roudybush high maintenance pellet, she gets mostly veggies and small amounts of fruits once it twice a week that has featheriffic sprinkled on top.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It may just take some time then :) Roudybush is a good diet. If you are feeding dark leafy greens make sure that they are cooked slightly so she can absorb more calcium from them. If possible, also try and get her outside in a carrier or harness a couple times a week for some sunshine for natural D3.

Of course this is all assuming it's stemming from a deficiency or from the nail trim. Always good to get a vet's input if she continues to lose her balance. That's the only reason I knew that Ripley's was calcium related!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be the nail trim but if it continues then take her to the vet. How does she do walking across a table or the floor? How is her grip when she grabs your finger with each foot?
Hope all will be well with her.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Has she gone to the vet before? It could be many different things, but I've had 2 that have lost balance though they were older... it was not a good sign. So especially if she hasn't been to the vet or it's been awhile, better safe than sorry.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@iamwhoiam she does perfectly fine and I've noticed a big decrease in her stumbles. I think she has learned to get around without her long claws. I'm but concerned anymore but will always keep an eye on my baby. Yes she's been to the vet maybe the months ago they said was healthy but if anything changes I'll take her in if course. Thank you

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that she is doing better. I've noticed that sometimes when my birds' nails are clipped there is an adjustment period for them to get used to the shorter nails.