• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Acrylic Bird Cages

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was reading a post on FB where a person had a custom made acrylic bird cage. Would you buy one?

Pros: no food mess on the floor

Cons: no place for birds to climb
more difficult to clean and no where to hang toys or food
too expensive

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I would be willing to use something like that for say a travel cage, for short trips. Other than that though I don't think something like that would work at least for us. Jenks has too much stuff that would never work in a cage like that.:D

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I honestly think that, while we can always make improvements to cages, acrylic cages are not one of them :hehe: I think it separates the bird too much from its immediate environment and is a type of surface that seems to unfriendly to birds (can't climb it, can't chew it, can't even really poop on it, lol). So while I agree that it might be more pleasing to humans' aesthetic sense, it doesn't seem very bird friendly to me. (just my 2 cents, which by the way would not pay for even a square millimeter of all that acrylic)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
2 or 3 cleanings and the acrylic will be scratched and no longer clear. It would make a great nebulizer. That's about it.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
2 or 3 cleanings and the acrylic will be scratched and no longer clear. It would make a great nebulizer. That's about it.
Could be a great hospital cage. Otherwise a great terrarium for some pretty plants, lol.
And hot......

Not happening in my home!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There used to be an acrylic bird cage company in Minnesota. They made some nice cages, with "bars" and everything for hanging toys and perches. Some things didn't work well with them of course!

Cons:

They are heavy and bulky.

If you drop them, they can crack

A streak free clean is hard to manage, and all missed water turns into spots.

Super expensive compared to other similar sized cages

They don't Break down for transport!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd also be worried about ventilation.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No good for me. My birds would literally cook inside one of those.

Even if I didn´t live in a hot climate... that thing just looks sterile and barren.
Cages are fun, we can clip toys wherever we want, birds can climb the sides, air passes through freely. No contest ;)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
A friend in Vegas had a large one for her macaw.

Big and beautiful (expensive). It was wood, with a acrylic front piece and half on sides.

No problems with ventilation, but that front was always streaked with food and poo, and what ever else a fun loving macaw could throw at it. :p

A royal pain to keep looking nice!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It actually looks similar to the cages they use at the vet here for small animals or sick smaller birds. A chamber that can be kept warm, free from drafts etc

Not sure I’d like my baby in one of those as a home though.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Absolutely not! Stupid idea. Far too many cons versus pros IMHO
I feel sorry for the bird who has to live in one of those.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have caitec one. It's a travel cage & a sleeping cage. I cover it at night. He's on a cabinet in the corner of the room & I create a little tent to give it more air space for h im. I hate the
( caitec ) brand & don't recommend it. I won't get stuck on this tho.

If you have a situation like we do it's great. Our house is old & very drafty. Winters are too cold to have him sleep in his big cage. In the warmest room of the house, he stays warm & comfy in it.

I don't have an issue w it to stay warm.

In the summer I fear in a vehicle, it can get too warm. I worry when we have to go to the vet in the end of summer.

I also don't like it for when he fluffs/ruffles every feather on his little body. The feathers have no where to really go. They fall to the floor, so he's breathing that fluff in till they his the floor. When I clean the ads off the floor in the morning, the feathers try to roll away. I'd spray it before removing but my fid went a little psycho not to long ago & It's not an option.

It 's heavy, awkward for me. Now it does also scratch easy, the acrylic can crack, shatter & where the pieces connect can break easily. I wish they had Put this together w/ screws instead of friction tabs.

I wanted something that wouldn't break in a car accident. Now because of a bad design, I worry about it getting to the car as the handle is messed up too! But to stay warm in, during a power outage, works great! Stay warm & away from drafts for a middle aged bird w/ arthritis. Works great!

Good luck!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Absolutely not! Stupid idea. Far too many cons versus pros IMHO
I feel sorry for the bird who has to live in one of those.
I've actually seen one once! I can't remember where but I thought it looked terrible.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here is the style from MN company. They can be bought at this super nice, clean bird store here called Parrot Island. This one is a pic from Craigslist.
00u0u_a6iXejgoPQA_600x450.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is the style from MN company. They can be bought at this super nice, clean bird store here called Parrot Island. This one is a pic from Craigslist.
View attachment 311384
This has so much more ventilation than mine. I want to say it's a P. Island, but getting brain fog, can't remember @ tbe moment.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was reading a post on FB where a person had a custom made acrylic bird cage. Would you buy one?

Pros: no food mess on the floor

Cons: no place for birds to climb
more difficult to clean and no where to hang toys or food
too expensive

looks like a green house... I would be afraid they'd suffocate at some point.. All that dust usually coming out would stay in and the bird would have to breath in that.. and where do you hang (real) perches, toys, food and water bowls? Where will the bird climb? No good.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
looks like a green house... I would be afraid they'd suffocate at some point.. All that dust usually coming out would stay in and the bird would have to breath in that.. and where do you hang (real) perches, toys, food and water bowls? Where will the bird climb? No good.

Yes, it's an issue for his bed & travel carrier. I have to clean the entire inside every week. It's a pain but the no toys thing I thought would be an issue however, he's ok w/ just being in there. I now want to get him a small wired one, because taking him outside to get sun, is almost pointless unless I flip the dang thing so the one wire side is down & sunlight can come thru the other. Pain in the butt! Maybe for Xmas the wired one will come...

This one is good in the winter though because it holds heat. Bad in the car for the yearly vet visit for the same reason. Ultimately, it works well sometimes & Buddy likes it & feels safe. I like it, because if there is an emergency @ night, he can just be grabbed & we can go.

So I guess I'm trying to say each type has it's purpose. Just depends on why you need it. I was mad @ first that I spent so much on it & hated it... But when it got cold & my drafty old house seemed to cause him physical pain, things worked out :)