• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is your favorite, zebra finches or society finches?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Both are wonderul birds to have :)

Just as long as you keep two minimum, no animal should ever be kept alone :)

Also, birds and children often dont match, you simply cant pet them like a dog :)

Go for a parakeet, that allows for some petting

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
okay thank you, I know this may be a weird question also, but are finches good to have around kids? Do these birds scare easily? My daughter wants either a parakeet or a finch but I was trying to decide what would be better...the zebra, society finch or parakeet?
I think that all depends 100% on your daughter. Clearly you will need to be the bird's care taker and willing to tend to the vet costs etc. Being on the forum I am sure you will be an awesome bird parent. :) Most people who come looking for advice are already in the right mind for a pet.

If your child is happy to not physically interact with the birds and is calm and can watch or read to the birds peacefully, I think any of the finches would be fantastic. I think if your child is caring and calm and would like to handle the bird someday a budgie could fit. All birds can be frightful if they are surprised, or in a very active household. Children who are high energy can sometimes act unpredictably and the birds can be very fearful of children because of this. Even if you get a budgie there is no guarantee the bird would want to interact with your child.

It all depends on your family and your dynamic. I know I was a very animal oriented child. I got my first cockatiel when I was young and we had an awesome relationship. I also had bunnies and guinea pigs. If your daughter is an animal oriented and sensitive person I am sure any arrangement can work.

Getting any bird is a life changing experience. We need to change our lifestyle for them. --cooking pots, fans, cleaning habits, feeding, etc. We also must have ZERO expectations. Some birds will never really like humans, even some parrots can take years to develop a bond. You will have some idea of how a species will behave, but at the end of the day each bird is individual. If your child can handle that and understand that, you two are going to be a great bird flock! :):fairy:

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
I think that all depends 100% on your daughter. Clearly you will need to be the bird's care taker and willing to tend to the vet costs etc. Being on the forum I am sure you will be an awesome bird parent. :) Most people who come looking for advice are already in the right mind for a pet.

If your child is happy to not physically interact with the birds and is calm and can watch or read to the birds peacefully, I think any of the finches would be fantastic. I think if your child is caring and calm and would like to handle the bird someday a budgie could fit. All birds can be frightful if they are surprised, or in a very active household. Children who are high energy can sometimes act unpredictably and the birds can be very fearful of children because of this. Even if you get a budgie there is no guarantee the bird would want to interact with your child.

It all depends on your family and your dynamic. I know I was a very animal oriented child. I got my first cockatiel when I was young and we had an awesome relationship. I also had bunnies and guinea pigs. If your daughter is an animal oriented and sensitive person I am sure any arrangement can work.

Getting any bird is a life changing experience. We need to change our lifestyle for them. --cooking pots, fans, cleaning habits, feeding, etc. We also must have ZERO expectations. Some birds will never really like humans, even some parrots can take years to develop a bond. You will have some idea of how a species will behave, but at the end of the day each bird is individual. If your child can handle that and understand that, you two are going to be a great bird flock! :):fairy:
okay thanks so much! I personally wanted to get the finch species but I think my daughter really wants a parakeet. She is only 6 so not really old enough to take care of it herself. She really wanted a dog but I told her that I don't have time for a high maintenance pet like a dog with my job and everything, so I opted for a bird instead. I'm still deciding to be honest, I have allergies so I was concerned but I don't think a parakeet will be that bothersome as long as I keep the cage clean everyday.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
okay thanks so much! I personally wanted to get the finch species but I think my daughter really wants a parakeet. She is only 6 so not really old enough to take care of it herself. She really wanted a dog but I told her that I don't have time for a high maintenance pet like a dog with my job and everything, so I opted for a bird instead. I'm still deciding to be honest, I have allergies so I was concerned but I don't think a parakeet will be that bothersome as long as I keep the cage clean everyday.

If you have long working hours get 2. It will be ideal for the birds to have a friend :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Check out this youtube channel. She will help teach you about the patience of bird care. :) I love her attitude with birds, it is similar to mine. I have a peaceful home for the most part.