• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder for rose Breasted Cockatoo

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Can anyone recommend a good breeder for a Rose Breasted Cockatoo ? I know rescuing is wonderful, but with 5 children at home I really wanted a bird that will get used to the busy life we have and all the children. If I didn’t have young children I would get a rescue , but at this point I feel a baby is best that can acclimate and grow with all of us.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aren't you getting one from Brandon? Bisou?

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I really wanted a bird that will get used to the busy life we have and all the children. If I didn’t have young children I would get a rescue , but at this point I feel a baby is best that can acclimate and grow with all of us.
Based on what? (surely not experience). An adult bird has a better capacity to handle a new situation than a baby simply because its an adult. The adult bird you connect with will not change. This baby is certainly going to change once it hits adulthood and quite possibly not in a good way. Any bird will grow with you and your family. This is all about you guys and what you provide. That is whats going to determine the bird you ultimately end up with.

Your baby bird will be just as (psychologically) damaged as every other hand fed human imprinted bird already out there. Your situation will not be any different. Please adopt or rescue a bird already out there. They are the ones that need us. Just my strong opinionated opinion. :)

Some food for thought. You're getting a cockatoo. Not a budgie.
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Last edited:

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
It’s very sad. Bisou died today. He was only 6 weeks old and had multiple birth defects and an enlarged liver. He had to be put to sleep. I’m beyond sad.
I got the photos this morning and I thought all was fine. Then a few hours later he didn’t take two feedings. Brandon took him to the avian vet right away
Aren't you getting one from Brandon? Bisou?
and was crying when he told me what happened. It’s very sad.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry this happened. Bisou looked healthy and alert in the photos.

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I know, it’s really sad. he said he normally ate like a champ and today wouldn’t take two of his feedings. Then they took him to the vet. He said he only seemed more tired lately.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know, it’s really sad. he said he normally ate like a champ and today wouldn’t take two of his feedings. Then they took him to the vet. He said he only seemed more tired lately.
:( :sadhug2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What????

Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry!!!

:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I bought my first usded stainless steel cage from a lady in San Diego County, and she bred them. Gosh, its been so long, I will try and remember her name.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Quest Haven Pets, in Escondido CA!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Laylatoo got two of her 'toos from a small breeder in No. Calif but she doesn't seem to be active on the board any more and unfortunately I have no clue which breeder that might be. You could always PM her and then maybe she would pop back in and respond.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Based on what? (surely not experience). An adult bird has a better capacity to handle a new situation than a baby simply because its an adult. Not true, as with most generalizations or absolutes. A rescue/rehome could've been severely traumatized or neglected and won't be ready or able to adapt to new things. The adult bird you connect with will not change. They certainly can change. Adult doesn't mean they haven't hit sexual maturity yet. When that happens, the bird's behavior will change, maybe not in a positive way. Petey is a perfect example. Once he was healthy from better diet, got to experience an outdoor aviary, and saw Daff in full spectrum light, he changed. Also, parrots can and do pick new people as their favorite person over the course of their lives. A friend's mature female scarlet switched her affections from my friend to her husband about every 10 years. When that happens, there is a change. This baby is certainly going to change once it hits adulthood and quite possibly not in a good way. Any bird will grow with you and your family. This is all about you guys and what you provide. That is whats going to determine the bird you ultimately end up with.

Your baby bird will be just as (psychologically) damaged as every other hand fed human imprinted bird already out there. My birds and those of many other AAers are NOT automatically psychologically damaged just because we got them as babies. This is patently wrong and offensive. I've purchased 4 birds as babies. Three came from caring, knowledgeable breeders who left them with their parents until well past the point at which their eyes opened. All 4 know they're birds. They were never clipped, except Daff (who flies now, thank you), and not force weaned. They are curious about new enrichments and rarely fearful of new things. They may not like new foods, but they'll try them. Are some parrots raised poorly? Don't know they're birds? Certainly. But that's not the case across the board, as you state. Your situation will not be any different. Please adopt or rescue a bird already out there. They are the ones that need us. I wholeheartedly agree with this. Just my strong opinionated opinion. :)

Some food for thought. You're getting a cockatoo. Not a budgie.
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It’s very sad. Bisou died today. He was only 6 weeks old and had multiple birth defects and an enlarged liver. He had to be put to sleep. I’m beyond sad.
I got the photos this morning and I thought all was fine. Then a few hours later he didn’t take two feedings. Brandon took him to the avian vet right away

and was crying when he told me what happened. It’s very sad.

I'm very sorry for your heartbreaking loss. I hope that the right bird for your family and lifestyle finds a soft landing with you. :)

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I am very sorry for your loss.. I always ask myself, what did I learn ? In your case not much because the bird died due to a birth defect .. Again, so sorry

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
I ask myself, this must have happened for a reason. I’m trying to make the best of that. I’m considering a Goffin also now and a Rose Breasted Cockatoo. There is s breeder about 1.5 hours away that has a baby Goffin, maybe that’s better than a Rose Breasted Cockatoo?

Tinabell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christina Spence
Thank you , I’ll check those out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have an direct experience with any of those breeders/sellers. Have read negative things about anasparrots and birdmansparrots.
Can you visit the breeder who is close to you so you can interact with available birds up close and personal?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have no experience with Ana's parrots but the other has sold sick birds. I'd avoid him. If you really want a rosebreasted, be patient, research, and search. Being in a hurry and adding a parrot to your life is not a good combination.