• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind too Quickly

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I know some of this will not apply to Sif's situation but this is how well Simon has adapted to barely seeing anything only a bit of light and shadows. He has memorized the entire house, every room. He flies from one room or place to another room or place landing on a perch or a rope or a bar at the window. Never misjudging a turn he has to make or exactly where and how he needs to land. When he is going to fly through the lounge to the bedroom he will indicate that he wants to fly by rocking left right left right until he is sure that I won't suddenly get in his flight path. When I see him rocking I will sit very still until he has passed. When Simon climbs up or down his ropes he uses his beak to feel in front of him. He can distinguish exactly what is in a food bowl by the sound when he taps it. All his bowls have liquid of varying thicknesses (he is a rainbow lorikeet), he can tell the difference in the sound if the bowl contains breakfast, date drink, watered down apple juice, honey water, nectar drink or any of the other things he sometimes has. He does so well that it's almost easy to forget how little he sees. And Simon did all this adjusting by himself because I didn't even realize about his sight problem until only a couple of months ago. He did used to be able to see really well before he had his bout of heavy metal poisoning. I'm sure Sif will adapt once the sightloss has stabilized, the hard part at the moment for her is that every time she opens her eyes her sight is not the same as last time she opened her eyes. No wonder she is feeling scared. Your voice will be the sweetest sound to her so use it often.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Sorry to hear about Sif but it had to happen sooner or later. The good thing is she is still quite young and will adapt to it more easily. Guide her through your voice when she is scared and pet and scratch her head to comfort Her. I agree hand feeding is a good option till she gets used to it. Keep us posted. Sending prayers:unsure1: