• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need urgent help on deciphering just how comfortable my new tiel is with me.

Anthony I

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anthony Inwiya
So for contexts sake I’m pretty well versed in cockatiel behavior, I’ve had 2 in the past and have had wonderful relationships with them so I don’t consider myself new to this whole escapade. But my new tiel whom I’ve gloriously dubbed Pichu is way more nervous than any other tiel I’ve owned which is expected since all tiels are different BUT this one is completely ok with stepping onto my hand and accepting treats from my hand SOMETIMES, he’s comfortable enough in my presence to preen himself and eat in front of me. But the moment I put my finger anywhere near his head specifically his head he’ll attempt to bite at it. Wings? All good, Belly? Eh good for the most part, Beak? F it why not. But I want him to understand that head scritches are a must in this household and I kinda can’t when I can’t incite the behavior. Help? Please?

Also if this helps anyone he hasn’t made a peep since I got him about 2 weeks ago. Don’t know if that’s particularly normal either.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hes new and doesnt know u well. Put yourself in his feathers. You wouldnt want a strange person stroking your head. It will take time and some tiels dont like they head stroked. My tiel storm hates his wings, stomach and back stroked. Only allows head scrichs and a beak stroke where as my silly tame cockatoo loves scrichs everywhere. Stomach, back, wings, head and beak. Every birs it diffrent. As for the no noise. You tiel could.be female and they dont sing much or your tiel is still nervous :bounce6: hope this helps

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Why are head scratches a must? Maybe he’s just not into them. I would just be patient and respect his wishes. It sounds like he’s very comfortable with you, so maybe in time he might be more willing. Maybe give him treats while you stroke his beak, since you said he likes that. Then maybe you can slowly move up to his head a bit over time. Just make sure you respect his body language, and don’t force him to do anything he’s not comfortable with.

Anthony I

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anthony Inwiya
Why are head scratches a must? Maybe he’s just not into them. I would just be patient and respect his wishes. It sounds like he’s very comfortable with you, so maybe in time he might be more willing. Maybe give him treats while you stroke his beak, since you said he likes that. Then maybe you can slowly move up to his head a bit over time. Just make sure you respect his body language, and don’t force him to do anything he’s not comfortable with.
I mean that mostly with a grain of salt since it confuses me how he can enjoy it practically everywhere else and watches other tiels enjoy it, but for him its like life or death haha dw I am respecting his limitations as weird as they are.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau does not like me touching his crest. He's quite happy with me brushing his breast or his wings. He's fine with me opening a wing. But his crest is a no-no. He'll lunge if I go anywhere near it, and if he gets a grip he'll attempt to mangle whatever he grabs. If he's moving round his cage and accidentally brushes his crest on anything he will launch a frenzied attack on whatever it is.
It's as if his crest is ultra sensitive to touch or movement?
We're working on it and now he's fine with me touching him anywhere else on his head and he does ask for scritches - just stay well away from the crest.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I mean that mostly with a grain of salt since it confuses me how he can enjoy it practically everywhere else and watches other tiels enjoy it, but for him its like life or death haha dw I am respecting his limitations as weird as they are.
Simon won't let me touch his head either. But he is fine with my avian vet doing it. I think Simon associates it with vets and being sick. Maybe Pichu thinks like Simon.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Anthony :)

Some birds simply don´t like it and never will. You will just have to accept that. It sounds like you are doing well getting the bird to be comfortable around you. If you keep pushing, you may damage the relationship you are building.

Also, be careful where you pet your bird, especially as they get older.

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
I have two tiels. One lowers her head to ask for a head scratch and the other (who I am very bonded too) will only like them if he's on me. If I direct a finger to him to see if he wants a head scratch he'll hiss at me.

Like everyone is pointing out, birds like different things. Find what works for Pichu and go from there. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Best thing I can say is stay patient and work slowly up (or back) towards Pichu's head. Here, Sunshine Tiel loves head scritches...going so far as to tilt his head so we can get under his chin.

Igor would rather get physical interaction from scritching and petting on the back, not on the head. We have to limit that, of course...

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Here, Sunshine Tiel loves head scritches...going so far as to tilt his head so we can get under his chin.
My storm does that. Tilts his head so i can stroke under his chin, sides of his face and back of neck to but if im not stoking exactly the way storm wants it he will nip or lunge (never hurts or bites) at my finger then lower his head for me to continue lol

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My storm does that. Tilts his head so i can stroke under his chin, sides of his face and back of neck to but if im not stoking exactly the way storm wants it he will nip or lunge (never hurts or bites) at my finger then lower his head for me to continue lol
...Sunshine is the same way...;)

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
You're going to want to avoid any petting of the tail, under the wings, and pretty much anywhere except for the head and neck because those other areas on birds tend to be too stimulating for them, meaning they get too hormonal and into it (if you know what I mean).

As for him not wanting the head scratches, just go slow. If he's not into getting them, then it's important to respect that. You can try offering treats while moving your fingers closer to his head. Start at a comfortable distance away and slowly start getting closer. Be sure to only give him a treat when he is relaxed about it. This might take some time, but he may end up really enjoying head scratches in the long run. I know it's hard, but patience is key here.