• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Advice for a Friend

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Hi friends,
So since welcoming Tikki the cockatiel into our lives, and getting so much joy from him, it's brought something to the for front of my mind that has been upsetting me for a while. Now that I know the love of a bird, it is killing me! Here's the story, summed up..

I get a nanny job 3 days a week for people we'll call A and M. They have a parrot, I believe he's an Amazon or a Green Cheek Conure, but the owners aren't sure. His name is Sonny. He lives in a room off the laundry room, behind a closed door. He's got a cage the size of Tikki's, but the door is never shut. He has a play stand and a window and a screen door to see out into the laundry room. He's fully flighted. The owners acquired him 10 years ago when A's mom died. Before he came to them, his owner was his best friend and he had free roam of the house. Now that he is secluded in this room, he is the meanest, loudest bird I know. He gets no more than 20 minutes a day of 'interaction' which I believe is just checking food and water. He will attack anybody who is not A. They are very vocal about not wanting him, but feel obligated since he belonged to A's mom.

I've always felt bad for him since I know how intelligent he is and how social birds are. It's no wonder he's so mean. He was living the good life, then lost his human and has been alone in a room for a decade. I've tried sitting with him a few times, but always got chased out by his dive bombing biting attacks. I sure am no expert in rehabbing parrots, so I ended up leaving him alone.

Does anyone have any resources on parrot rescues, or anything that could help poor Sonny? I feel like if presented with an out, A and M would take it. They don't want him, but nobody has ever wanted to adopt their mean bird anyways. Any input is appreciated. :)

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Poor Sonny, my heart goes out to him, what state are A and M located in? That might help people suggest rescues, or if someone is looking for a bird, you can post in Rehome Highway if you know that A and M are interested you can tell them about this site and maybe they can meet someone on here who might take him in. Or find a rescue. Have you tried just talking to him from the other side of the screen? I'm sure he's not used to anyone in his territory and is frustrated by being left alone. I hope he finds a new home.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Ah, yes, location would help! Michigan, between Lansing and Detroit.

I will definitely refer them to this site, I know there are plenty of knowledgeable people here, and maybe someone is looking for a 'project.'

I say hello a few times a day through the screen, and he flies to the top of his cage and spreads his wings and opens his mouth. Something that even before I ever considered owning a bird, could tell he was warning me not to come closer.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Hi friends,
So since welcoming Tikki the cockatiel into our lives, and getting so much joy from him, it's brought something to the for front of my mind that has been upsetting me for a while. Now that I know the love of a bird, it is killing me! Here's the story, summed up..

I get a nanny job 3 days a week for people we'll call A and M. They have a parrot, I believe he's an Amazon or a Green Cheek Conure, but the owners aren't sure. His name is Sonny. He lives in a room off the laundry room, behind a closed door. He's got a cage the size of Tikki's, but the door is never shut. He has a play stand and a window and a screen door to see out into the laundry room. He's fully flighted. The owners acquired him 10 years ago when A's mom died. Before he came to them, his owner was his best friend and he had free roam of the house. Now that he is secluded in this room, he is the meanest, loudest bird I know. He gets no more than 20 minutes a day of 'interaction' which I believe is just checking food and water. He will attack anybody who is not A. They are very vocal about not wanting him, but feel obligated since he belonged to A's mom.

I've always felt bad for him since I know how intelligent he is and how social birds are. It's no wonder he's so mean. He was living the good life, then lost his human and has been alone in a room for a decade. I've tried sitting with him a few times, but always got chased out by his dive bombing biting attacks. I sure am no expert in rehabbing parrots, so I ended up leaving him alone.

Does anyone have any resources on parrot rescues, or anything that could help poor Sonny? I feel like if presented with an out, A and M would take it. They don't want him, but nobody has ever wanted to adopt their mean bird anyways. Any input is appreciated. :)
Can you get a photo of him So we can figure out what kind of bird Sonny is?

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He could be completely different in a new environment but yes, I can completely understand how you felt. There was a female blue and gold macaw that was hyper aggressive, especially when she had an egg, same posture so I completely understand your keeping a safe distance. I do hope that someone here might take him in. :)
And I agree with Tricia, pictures would certainly help.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor guy, lost his human, left alone, piffed, stressed, lonely , confused,,,itll take alot to bring him back,,If you can't. Then hope you find someone who can..thank you for caring.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Can you stand in the hall outside the door where he can’t see you and talk to him? He can posture all he wants but without a visual ‘threat’ he may get curious about who’s talking to him. I wouldn’t expect a positive response immediately though. I can’t imagine what 10y in solitude has done to the poor guy.

They don’t even know what kind of bird he is. He’s a guilt bird. That’s just heartbreaking. They’re disrespecting A’s mother’s treasured companion by keeping him like this. If they wanted to keep Sonny because of how special he was to her, they would have kept him with as much dignity and compassion as A’s mom showed Sonny in their life together. I so hope that he finds a soft place to land.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I will take pictures tomorrow! I really wish I could take him myself, but I'm simply not equipped to care for a large bird, and I've got a toddler and one on the way...A bad time to add such an angry flying can opener haha
Thanks all for your love and support, I knew you'd all understand how I feel about Sonny!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Can you stand in the hall outside the door where he can’t see you and talk to him? He can posture all he wants but without a visual ‘threat’ he may get curious about who’s talking to him. I wouldn’t expect a positive response immediately though. I can’t imagine what 10y in solitude has done to the poor guy.

They don’t even know what kind of bird he is. He’s a guilt bird. That’s just heartbreaking. They’re disrespecting A’s mother’s treasured companion by keeping him like this. If they wanted to keep Sonny because of how special he was to her, they would have kept him with as much dignity and compassion as A’s mom showed Sonny in their life together. I so hope that he finds a soft place to land.
I've said the same thing...her mom would rise from the dead if she knew what Sonny was going through. They're not bad people, they care for their dog amazingly well, but they were never meant to be bird owners.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
You are awesome for caring enough to change his life for the better! That’s one solid gold heart you have, thank you for being you!:hug8:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
You are awesome for caring enough to change his life for the better! That’s one solid gold heart you have, thank you for being you!:hug8:
Thank you!! I've been fortunate enough to feel the love of a bird, and Tikki will have a loving and caring home for his entire life. Each animal deserves the same!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
They're not bad people, they care for their dog amazingly well, but they were never meant to be bird owners.
Yeah, I definitely felt that in your post. I mean he has space, flight, a perch and a view...but they’re just not bird owners. My heart breaks for all of them. It hits close to home because I cannot name a single family who wouldn’t do the same, nor would I entrust my fids to them.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Agh, my heart goes out to this poor bird! Thank you for trying to make a difference for him. It would be wonderful if they agreed to rehome him to an experienced bird owner who could help him know love again. Maybe you can sit without looking at him a little bit away from the screen and just talk or read to him.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I mentioned all of this to M this morning and he said he was all for it, except he says A will never give him up because Sonny belonged to her mom. I'm going to keep working on them, and work with Sonny whenever I'm here. I used to be 3 days a week, unfortunately my schedule is not set any more, so I'm only here every few weeks. Maybe one day I'll be able to take him myself.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's a blue crowned conure :)

Poor guy - he has care that looks fine on paper, but you can tell that there isn't the actual love and interaction that he needs.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
The more I think about him, the more I want to scoop him up and bring him home. I felt bad leaving Tikki for 7 hours today for the first time, poor Sonny experiences this every day. I'm hoping that the transition from one kid to two isn't as difficult as I'm imagining it to be, and we can consider adding him to our family if A will allow it, since we're friends and all. Safety is my biggest concern, I can't have my kids getting their fingers ripped open, and I can't allow Tikki to get hurt by accidently landing on his cage or something. I can take care of myself, but it's our job as parents to put aside what we really want and do what's best for the kids. I will keep working on A, and until then, will research Sonny and his behavior and care in my spare time.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Oh wow he's a cutie!!! Blue crowns are so pretty. I understand your concerns, I have a big beak and a little beak but my big beak is a pretty passive guy. As long as your kids and Tikki are monitored and careful around him, it could work. :) I hope A lets you at least try to adopt him.