• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Friendly sparrows

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to my granddaughter's graduation from preschool today at a Nature Center. In a large cage was a pair of wild sparrows. Not sure why they were there, but a few other birds are there that have medical issues like an owl with one wing and a hawk with one eye. So I guess the sparrows were in need of some kind and therefore taken in. Anyway, I stood in front of the aviary for a few minutes and the female was flying all around. The male was studying me and he started to chirp really loudly. Then he flew to the bars of the cage right by me. I'm sure I wasn't supposed to, but I put my finger next to him and he pecked me in a friendly way over and over. My granddaughters told me that they have never seen him approach anyone else. I guess he could feel my birdie love. Or I looked like the person who feeds them, lol. :). I did wash up well so as to not introduce any problems to Gigi. It was so sweet.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Sparrows really are awesome birds and as you say friendly.

I feed the outside birds and mostly pigeons and sparrows, they get along well and are freindly to each other. In the summer they are taking bath together. If magpies or Eurasian jackdaw comes the pigeons will chase them away if they are not to many. But the sparrows they never chase away. I think they know that they both are freindly bird's and that's why they accept each other so well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I :heart: sparrows. There are a few that visit my backyard and one male who likes to sit on the ledge of the balcony railing.
Then there is the one I love the most, Spee. :) :heart::heart:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
We see them eating the babies leftovers in the yard all the time too. Nothing goes to waste!