• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are diamond doves powder-down birds?

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
Does anyone here own diamonds doves and would you be able to tell me if they are considered powder-down birds? Are they very dusty? Would someone with allergies be able to have them?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've never had a diamond dove but was supposed to foster a pair (who got adopted) and did some research. I believe they are dusty but I'm not sure how dusty as compared to cockatoos, etc. As for allergies, it really depends. For instance, I'm allergic to cats but cockatoo/cockatiel dust doesn't bother me. Air purifiers can also help.

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
Doves are not very dusty..:) My hubby has allergies and even the tiels dont bother him..
The reason I am asking is because I am allergic to regular dust and was afraid the bird dust may cause me problems. But I know diamond doves are very small birds not like a regular dove or pigeon so they definitely wouldn't produce that much dust I don't think. I am getting an allergy test done soon so I will be able to figure out if I am allergic to birds. I hope I am not but I wanted to find out before I bought one just to be on the safe side. I would hate to have to rehome one if I bought it and found out I was allergic :(

ElisaDove81

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elisa
I have two diamond doves, currently in home waiting for the summer so they can go in the aviary, i havent noticed any dust like i did from my parrots :) I think when you air the room daily you’ll be safe :)
Thanks! I was thinking about getting one soon, I think they are small enough to be okay dust wise

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Mine are currently in the outdoor aviary, they made a nest in the indoor cage, i figured i’ll just hang it in the aviary and not expect anything, but low and behold, they continued breeding inmediatly :)