• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure bobbing his head

Papaya24

Sitting on the front steps
Hello all, hope you and your birdies are great. My sun conure, Papaya, is only around five months old and has been seen by a vet about a month ago (perfectly healthy and strong). Today however I saw him doing this head bobbing movement and I am not sure what it is. Could something be stuck in his throat l? He has been eating and drinking normally and playing. Not sure what could be wrong also I am not sure if this is like regurgitating. Please help. Thank you!

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
No, head bobbing is usually caused because he is trying to catch his breath or trying to breath.
Farlie at 6 months old started bobbing his head so I took him to the vet and he had a server repository infection and he was trying to get air down his lungs by bobbing up and down. He started vomiting and sneezing eventually. I thot I was going to loose him.
If it is constant then to the vet you must go BUT sun conures do bob their heads occasionally anyway. It's kinda of normal.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Hmmm, to me it looks like he might be adjusting his crop. Did it stop?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Keep an eye on him - I know you will. :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
The first slow bobbing looked like some kind of display because he spreads his tail a little sometimes. Then he does the fast bobbing at the end which I still think is adjusting the crop/kind of slight regurgitation. Hopefully someone else will join in...

Papaya24

Sitting on the front steps
Do you think it’s worrisome? I only have one bird

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Personally I don't think it is worrisome, but if you are worried, take him to the vet. Or see if the vet is able to see the video if you send it which would save you a trip.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I will throw in my two cents here. Head bobbing with some food and liquid expelled can be avian gastric disease so I would have a swab of his crop done by your vet just in case and for peace of mind. It will be called a gram stain. Vet swabs the crop and makes a slide to look under a microscope. Usually its a budgie that gets this so I am not sure about a conure. Do you happen to feed him corn on the cob?

Last edited:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
The first type of motion that he does looks like a display of some kind. My green cheek does something like this all the time when she seems to want me to leave her alone. The second one looked more like something related to the crop and seems normal to me unless he is doing it excessively.