• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent bird with wound ingested triple antibiotic

Revali

Walking the driveway
My poor little bird heard a very loud noise and crashed into a picture. He has a wound the size of a millet seed above his nare. He freaks when being grabbed to the point its hard to work with him. As I was trying to spread ointment on him he grabbed the q tip and ingested most of it.... Is it ok to just leave the wound un treated? You can see its a bash (red) but does not bleed. Also the ingesting of the ointment, bad????

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Best visit the vet. Especially after such collision. They will be able to treat the wound, check he´s ok and advise you RE ingesting the medicine.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sergei scraped his foot trying to take a branch off my willow tree. I ran him down to the vet where they cleaned it and gave me some ointment to put on it til it healed. But Sergei kept licking the ointment off! So I called the vet back and they said it was alright that they expect some critters to do that because you can't really put a band aid on their toe. Not sure if it was special "animal edible" antibiotic ointment or if such a thing even exists but his little foot was healed up in less than a week.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
First off no, the antibiotic was probably just very small amount and won't do any harm. He might have the runs, but nothing major. Had it happen to me when one of my birds cut its finger on foot.
Grabbed q tip...won't hurt them. Worse case he'll have a sore belly for a few hours, just give some diluted Apple cider vinegar or pedilyte.
Second , to get your bird to calm as you apply antibotic, use two people and use a towel to hold wings and head then quickly apply.

Last edited:

Revali

Walking the driveway
Very good to hear I had no idea how his body would react to the ointment. I'll have to buy some Apple cider vinegar to keep on hand as well. Thank you very much for the good advice only finally with two people did I manage to get the ointment on. You should see his creamy little head HAHA Thanks again.